PDA

View Full Version : High school graduation speech cliches?

Bubastes
03-31-2009, 05:54 PM
The thread title is self-explanatory: what are some overused elements or advice in graduation speeches? Any examples that cross the line from inspirational to trite? It's been :cough: years since I've been to a graduation ceremony. Thanks!

misslissy
03-31-2009, 06:19 PM
"This is the time of our lives."

Lol, I graduated from high school last year and I don't remember a thing about the speech.

Maryn
03-31-2009, 06:20 PM
You are the future. (Well, duh.)

Follow your dreams. (And try to live on air, because you sure as hell won't make money.)

You'll look back on these days as among the best in your life. (Are you kidding?)

You've make lifelong friendships here at ____ High. (If you leave town, in five years, you'll be down to Christmas cards, in ten, no contact at all.)

Maryn, who hates such speeches

smcc360
03-31-2009, 09:01 PM
"As we go forth..."

"Webster's defines 'graduation' as..."

"A bright day, filled with hope and promise..."

"Looking forward, let us also look back..."

The only Valedictorians worse than the cliche faucets are the ones who try to 'shake things up'. Ugh. I'll take un-listenable over insufferable any day. Just quote the Maya Angelou poem and sit down, Poindexter. Those wine coolers at the beach aren't going to drink themselves.

Clair Dickson
03-31-2009, 09:04 PM
Anything about standing in the doorway or threshold of tomorrow.

We've worked hard to get here (not all of you!)

Lame jokes about certain assignments or teachers or projects or nights up studying.

Barb D
03-31-2009, 09:11 PM
It's not the end, it's the beginning...

(So cliche, and yet so true.)

alleycat
03-31-2009, 09:13 PM
"We entered to learn, now we goes forth to serve . . . "

Gushing admiration for the principal (who, behind his back, is called Old Farthead).

Waxing poetically about those long, long ago days in eighth grade.

"Where will we be, what will we have accomplished forty years hence? . . . what shall be our legacy?"

benbradley
03-31-2009, 10:21 PM
"The future is in your hands."

It's not the end, it's the beginning...

(So cliche, and yet so true.)
And of course when I was in high school the choir was practicing this song for the graduation ceremony, perhaps the ultimate in cheesy graduation songs from "back then:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__VQX2Xn7tI

(personal experience deleted because, well, you just don't wanna know...)

CarolSanDiego
04-01-2009, 01:35 AM
"This is the first day of the rest of our lives."