Question About Catholic Saints

JulieHowe

Spent the night with Jack Daniels
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a devout Catholic. She's a police widow whose husband was killed in the line of duty, and this is the day the verdict will be read in his killer's murder trial. As she and her children are waiting at the courthouse, which scenario would be most appropriate?

Would she have her saint medallion on a chain around her neck or in her pocket? Which saint would be most appropriate, St. Michael, the Patron Saint of police officers, or St. Elizabeth? Or is there another saint that would be a more logical choice?

Thank you. :)

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
My wife wears a St. Michael's medal around her neck. I think from a law enforcement standpoint, that would be the most common, at least in the part of the country that I'm in.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick and helpful reply!

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Depends if she has the medallion before or after the husband's death, and maybe even what her heritage is (Irish vs Italian might be different because of local or family patrons from older generations).

St Jude is the common patron for all lost causes, and who Catholics without a specific patron might turn to in any crisis. If she commonly did that before meeting her husband, it might still be a habit.

St Michael would be appropriate if she turned to the saint as a result of her husband's profession.

Even more interesting might be to make her a Catholic who doesn't ask intercession of any saint (like myself), and finds the notion of her husband's patron to be antiquated or superstitious until he passes.

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
My MC is a devout Catholic. She's a police widow whose husband was killed in the line of duty, and this is the day the verdict will be read in his killer's murder trial. As she and her children are waiting at the courthouse, which scenario would be most appropriate?

Would she have her saint medallion on a chain around her neck or in her pocket? Which saint would be most appropriate, St. Michael, the Patron Saint of police officers, or St. Elizabeth? Or is there another saint that would be a more logical choice?

Thank you. :)

St. Michael, patron saint of police has already been mentioned (unless the officer is Italian or Spanish, in which case there are different saints - both of which appear to be feminine). That may not be too bad a choice.

Some other choices, if she is very devout as you said, may be:

St. Francis of Rome - patron saint of widows
Martin de Porres - patron saint of justice

Of the two, I would think that Martin de Porres would be the more appropriate choice considering the setting. However, as there is a medallion that she has on the day of the jury trial, I'm thinking it would be St. Michael. Most likely it would have been her husband's.

As for around her neck or in a pocket? If she's at the courthouse praying, I would think she would have it in her hand, possibly along with prayer beads or a rosary.

Rabe...

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! She's Irish-Catholic.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! She's Irish-Catholic.

Is she American Irish or em, Irish-Irish? The big three here (in my experience anyway!) were always: St.Christopher: patron saint of travellers, St. Jude: patron saint of hopeless cases and Padre-Pio. Padre Pio is giantly popular with Irish Catholics. Also, as an Irish woman, she'll probably be particularly fond of the Virgin Mary. She might be wearing a medallion of Our Lady of Lourdes.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
She's American-Irish, from San Francisco. Everyone here is so helpful, thank you again. :)

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Just a thought.....

As I mentioned earlier, both my wife and I wear St. Michael's medals. (I am Irish-American Catholic. My wife isn't. She just humors me.) Anyway, when I worked in a uniformed capacity, I carried rosary beads in the inner pocket of my body armor. I've known a few officers that have done the same. A few other posters have correctly suggested that she might have a set of beads in her hand while at the courthouse. Perhaps she could have the ones that her late husband carried (assuming he was Catholic too).

Brady H.

Last edited:

Rabe

the living dead
Registered
Reaction score
Just a thought.....

As I mentioned earlier, both my wife and I wear St. Michael's medals. (I am Irish-American Catholic. My wife isn't. She just humors me.) Anyway, when I worked in a uniformed capacity, I carried rosary beads in the inner pocket of my body armor. I've known a few officers that have done the same. A few other posters have correctly suggested that she might have a set of beads in her hand while at the courthouse. Perhaps she could have the ones that her late husband carried (assuming he was Catholic too).

Brady H.

You mean the place where the trauma plate goes? That's an interesting thought.

Not my story, but I like the symmetry of the wife praying using the rosary/medallion her husband wore when killed.

Rabe...

AnnieColleen

Invisible Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that would be pretty powerful for her.

Not quite the same thing, but after my cousin died recently, my aunt was praying with/clinging to a Rosary she (cousin) had made...holding it so tightly that she broke the chain. (This was at the vigil before the funeral, I think.)

St. Michael is good for your purpose; another option if you want one is their name saints (e.g., I feel close to St. Anne partly on that basis), or confirmation saints (chosen for whatever they thought was important as a teen or preteen).

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
You mean the place where the trauma plate goes? That's an interesting thought.
Rabe...

Yes. I have a soft plate and a hard plate with the hard plate underneath (closest to the body). The rosary beads go on top of the soft plate. Since I work plain clothes now, the only time I wear the vest is if I am serving a warrant or working a temporary uniform assignment (ie: hurricane response, etc). In that case, you'd better believe the beads on right there!

Brady H.

JulieHowe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Interesting and very helpful information. Thank you to everyone.

maryland

Registered
Reaction score
People sometimes attach medals to their Rosary beads- at the "crossover" part. I have seen Padre Pio, St Martin de Porres and Our Lady of Lourdes all clinking together as the person prays. This is useful for people who cannot wear a medal on a chain round their neck.