Where do all the fun writers hang out these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm not a regular in the AW roundtable. In fact I don't think I've ever posted here by intention. I've noticed that a number of my threads have been moved here, which just made it harder for me to keep track of my own threads.

When I came to AW, the big swmming pool was "Writing Novels". Everyone that was anyone would go there and hang out. Back in the day as long as the topic was somehow related to writing the threads were okay there. Now it seems there are so many sub-headings that I'm not sure I know how to navigate this place anymore.

Things have changed, and I'm getting a little disoriented. Is this where people hang out?

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I think members hang around in a variety of areas. The Roundtable is a place to discuss writing related things, less so actual writing techniques and process. That's how I see it.

Explore different places. All of the sub-forums have a certain value to them.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Um, we can't tell you... then we'd all have to go somewhere else.

No, seriously, I know what you mean. When I first got here, which was like two boards ago, I only hung out in the big PA thread. Then I found the Novels board. Then I started venturing about in the genre forums, and then off to P&CE (where I still spend too much time).

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
Well, wherever I hang out, of course. Because I'm the coolest person here. But I'm not telling you where I hang out. Because I'm obviously loads cooler than you. :tongue

No really, I don't know how to help you. I don't know who you think is cool. The best advice I can give is the same as a couple others have already given. Explore. :)

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to post mostly in Office Party and hang out wherever I see new threads, or threads with new posts, of interest. I read a whole lot more than I post, in the writing topics.

Nate, don't forget to subscribe to your own threads (or others) so you can click on User CP (upper left of each screen) and see if you have any subscribed threads with new posts since you last logged on.

Maryn, helpful-ish

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
Writers are not fun.

We are cranky, curmudgeonly, conspiracy-minded and we avoid sunlight at all costs. We are prone to bouts of self-doubt, self-pity, self-aggrandizement and self-serve. We have a soft spot for decent hard liquor and wine that doesn't come with a plastic cork or screw-off cap. We shop at Wal-Mart, mostly to observe other humanoids as they scurry about with brats in tow. We think stirrup pants are tacky. We never back comb our hair because we are either too bald or too apathetic on the best of days.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
It depends on what you consider cool. There are people in SYW who take time out of their lives to help people become better writers: that's pretty cool. If you mean goofing around cool, Office Party is a good choice

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
*Raises hand frantically* I'm one of the fun ones, Nate. :D I hang out w. stormie in OP. We have lots o' :Cake: :popcorn: & pcs. Come drop by pcs. (The house of peace, calm and serenity) in OP.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I follow Susie a fair amount myself. She does drop a lot of chocolate, you know.

Maryn, practical

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
*Raises hand frantically* I'm one of the fun ones, Nate. :D I hang out w. stormie in OP. We have lots o' :Cake: :popcorn: & pcs. Come drop by pcs. (The house of peace, calm and serenity) in OP.

Sorry suse, but anything that has serenity will inevitably ask me to leave.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score

With Susie and Stormie both suggesting house of peace, I'll definitely have to check it out!

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
*cough* Purgatory *cough*

Hi everyone. I'm not a regular in the AW roundtable. In fact I don't think I've ever posted here by intention. I've noticed that a number of my threads have been moved here, which just made it harder for me to keep track of my own threads.

When I came to AW, the big swmming pool was "Writing Novels". Everyone that was anyone would go there and hang out. Back in the day as long as the topic was somehow related to writing the threads were okay there. Now it seems there are so many sub-headings that I'm not sure I know how to navigate this place anymore.

Things have changed, and I'm getting a little disoriented. Is this where people hang out?
I suppose it's big enough now that out of the thousands of us there's one or two "fun writers" in most of the more-used forums. ;)

When was it, maybe a year ago Jenna had us all welcome our 20,000th member, but now I see here there are only 15,604 members. Apparently there's been a clearing out of those who hadn't logged in in a while. Maybe clearing oldies is part of the Monday Night Withdrawal Maintenance thing.
I follow Susie a fair amount myself. She does drop a lot of chocolate, you know.

Maryn, practical
That sounds like some of the braggin' I heard in those 12-step meetings: "I've dropped more chocolate than you've eaten!" :D

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
With Susie and Stormie both suggesting house of peace, I'll definitely have to check it out!

Sorry suse, but anything that has serenity will inevitably ask me to leave.

Maryn, practical

Actually, I follow Susie around the boards. She's upbeat and fun and makes those stormy clouds disappear. :Sun:

Aww, you guys are so nice. Here's :Cake: & :popcorn: for all of you and come visit anytime in pcs. You're all permanent residents! ((((((HUGS))) & Ohmmmmmmms.

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I alternate between the User CP for my subscribed threads and New Posts to see what's new and hot, with an occasional diversion into forums that cater to my own particular obsessions. And I am definitely cool. And fun. Ask anybody.

Last edited:

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
I alternate between the User CP for my subscribed threads and New Posts to see what's new and hot, with an occasional diversion into forums that cater to my own particular obsessions. And I am definitely cool. And fun. Ask anybody.

You definitely seem cool and fun. Lol, you'll have everyone in Myspace checking out your threads which really isn't a bad thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.