MN legislature considers law for free fishing licenses for all over 90 years old.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
The MN Senate is considering waiving the fee for state fishing licenses for all those aged 90 and older.

Currently there are more than 2,000 Minnesotans over the age of 90-years who have fishing licenses. A 91-year old grandmother testified to the Senate committee, showing off a photo of a 54-inch Muskie that she caught and released and which, she said, she hopes to catch again.

(Another reason I love Minnesota.)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah. You could live in Florida where it's illegal for unmarried women to parachute on a Sunday (no joke; it was in an MSN feature on weird laws today, but I can't find the link now).

caw

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
2,000 licenses, at how much a license? A net loss of ???

Just kidding. :)

If my dad wanted to go out fishing at 90, I'd buy his license twice.

Now, if we can get together a program where they take a kid out with them and teach them to fish.

We have a program here that pairs young kids up with Veterans for a day of fishing.

Every year brings something inspirational.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad got a free AZ fishing license for life when he turned 70. You have to be over 70 and have been a resident for at least 25 years. That keeps out all the 'move here after you retire' people. They can get a license, they just have to pay for it.

MM

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
My Dad got a free AZ fishing license for life when he turned 70. You have to be over 70 and have been a resident for at least 25 years. That keeps out all the 'move here after you retire' people. They can get a license, they just have to pay for it.

MM

In MN, 90 is the new 70. And with the law, if you decide to more here from AZ after you retire, you can still get a license for free once you're 90.

Fullback

Banned
Reaction score
People shouldn't need a license from their masters to fish, period. :)

Last edited:

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
Fishing licensing is a way the state has to keep the lakes and rivers healthy so there will always be lots of fish. We have a lot of wilderness area up here, but a lot of lakes, rivers and streams are in populated areas. You can catch nice pan fish and even pike in the city lakes and rivers. The public has access to most waterways; they aren't owned by the rich, they are owned by all citizens. Only those who want to fish need licenses.

whistlelock

Whiskey Rebel
Registered
Reaction score
Somehow I ended up in Fort Worth. Dunno how that h

MM

I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing there's enough water to sink a line into let alone support more than 1 fish in Arizona.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Rivers in Arizona
Agua Fria River
Big Sandy River
Bill Williams River
Black River
Blue River, Arizona
Bright Angel Creek
Burro Creek
Cañada del Oro
Cave Creek
Colorado River
Eagle Creek
Fossil Creek
Gila River
Hassayampa River
Kanab Creek
Little Colorado River
Navajo Creek
New River
Oak Creek
Paria River
Puerco River
Salt River
San Carlos River
San Francisco River
San Pedro River
San Simon River
Santa Cruz River
Santa Maria River
Silver Creek
Sonoita Creek
Tonto Creek
White River
Verde River
Virgin River
Zuni River

List of Arizona lakes
Ackre Lake
Alamo Lake
Apache Lake
Arivaca Lake
Ashurst Lake
Bartlett Lake
Bear Canyon Lake
Becker Lake
Big Lake
Black Canyon Lake
Blue Ridge Reservoir
Bunch Reservoir
Canyon Lake
Carnero Lake
Cataract Lake
Chevelon Canyon Lake
Clear Creek Reservoir
Cluff Ranch Ponds
Coconino Reservoir
Cibola Lake
Concho Lake
Crescent Lake
Dankworth Pond
Deadhorse Lake
Dogtown Reservoir
Earl Park Lake
Fain Lake
Fool Hollow Lake
Frye Mesa Reservoir
Goldwater Lake
Granite Basin Lake
Greasewood Lake
Hassayampa Lake
Lake Havasu
Hawley Lake
Horseshoe Lake (Arizona)
Horsethief Basin Lake
Hulsey Lake
Imperial Reservoir
J. D. Dam Lake
Kaibab Lake
Kinnikinick Lake
Knoll Lake
Lake Havasu
Lake Mead
Lake Mohave
Lake Powell
Lee Valley Lake
Long Lake
Luna Lake
Lyman Reservoir
Lynx Lake
Many Farms Lake
Martinez Lake
Lower Lake Mary
Upper Lake Mary
McClelland Lake
Mchood (Clear Creek) Lake
Lake Mead
Mittry Lake
Lake Mohave
Mormon Lake
Nelson Reservoir
Painted Rock Reservoir
Parker Canyon Lake
Patagonia Lake
Pecks Lake
Peña Blanca Lake
Perkins Tank
Picacho Reservoir
Lake Pleasant Regional Park (Lake Pleasant)
Lake Powell
Rainbow Lake
Red Lake, on the border with New Mexico
Reservation Lake
Riggs Flat Lake
River Reservoir
Rogers Lake
Roper Lake
Rose Canyon Lake
Russel Tank
Saguaro Lake
San Carlos Reservoir
San Carlos Lake
Santa Fe Lake
Scott Reservoir
Show Low Lake
Soldiers Annex Lake
Soldiers Lake
Stoneman Lake
Sullivan Lake
Sunrise Lake
Talkalai Lake
Tempe Town Lake
Theodore Roosevelt Lake
Threemile Lake
Topock Marsh
Tremaine Lake
Tunnel Reservoir
Watson Lake
Whitehorse Lake
White Lake
White Mountain Lake
Willcox Playa
Willow Creek Reservoir
Willow Springs Lake
Woodland Reservoir
Woods Canyon Lake

There's great fishing in Arizona

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fishing licensing is a way the state has to keep the lakes and rivers healthy so there will always be lots of fish.

Yeah, if they really used it for that, it'd be great. Maybe they do where you live, but, I assure you, they don't use the money for that in NJ.

But, heck, in NJ, we charge people money to sit on the beach.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, if they really used it for that, it'd be great. Maybe they do where you live, but, I assure you, they don't use the money for that in NJ.

New Jersey property tax is so high it's laughable. I've often believed New Jersey the most corrupt state in the union. The taxes are outrageous -across the board - and an awful lot looks like it's falling apart. A pilot friend couldn't wait to get transferred out of his Newark run, just because it was so depressing. He thought he'd go see a Giants game and sat in traffic during the first quarter.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
New Jersey property tax is so high it's laughable. I've often believed New Jersey the most corrupt state in the union. .

I believe that your belief is correct. Most of our tax dollars end up in someone's pocket.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I have a hard time believing there's enough water to sink a line into let alone support more than 1 fish in Arizona.

Thanks WayneK for the list. And yes, we have lots of water. We also have the highest per capita boat ownership of any land locked state. There are three good fishing lakes within 3 miles of my Dad's summer home. And they aren't even big enough to be on Wayne's list.

MM

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score

Sales pitch for Minneapolis and Minnesota: Ha!

No charge to sit on the beaches. Beaches are public access. The fishing license money, the hunting license money and some of the lottery money goes to the state Dept of Natural Resources. Last November the citizens of Minnesota voted an additional sales tax to be split between the wilderness and the arts. Plus, there's a place on our state income tax where people can check if they want an additional $5 to go for the natural resources.

We have a huge wilderness area that's lakes and trees – the Northwoods. Every metro area has huge parks. We have some great dog parks, too (not enough to my taste.) I live in the city of Minneapolis, walking distance from three lakes and six parks. I just wish the winter would end so I could go out to them and enjoy.

Oh, by the way. Minnesota is called 'The Land of 10,000 Lakes', but it's actually closer to 15,000 lakes. That doesn't include Lake Superior. There are 13 lakes inside the City of Minneapolis, plus Minehaha Creek and, of course, the Mississippi River. In the winter, there are ice fishing houses on most of these. (OK, it's a good place to live, but the winter does drive people a little crazy.)

Last edited:

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
The MN Senate is considering waiving the fee for state fishing licenses for all those aged 90 and older.

Currently there are more than 2,000 Minnesotans over the age of 90-years who have fishing licenses. A 91-year old grandmother testified to the Senate committee, showing off a photo of a 54-inch Muskie that she caught and released and which, she said, she hopes to catch again.

(Another reason I love Minnesota.)

That's one way to keep them off the street. :) Just kidding. I think anyone who makes it to 90 should get free everything! (Don't ask me how that would work out economically, they just should. I like old people.)