Best books to read for learning to write personal essays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werner

Registered
Reaction score
I've been a fiction writer for a long time and I've had a lot of people encourage me to get into creative nonfiction. It sounds like fun, but I have no idea where to start. I've spent a lot of time and energy studying narrative craft for short stories, but it isn't all transferable. I know that The Art of the Personal Essay is something to look into, but I'm leaning towards more contemporary writings. I own a few of those Best American Essay anthologies, and I've read various essays from Carver, (Rick) Bass, Hornby, Klosterman (who I didn't like), and Sedaris (who is all right, if not a bit precious).

Who should I check out?

(I'm into the fiction of Carver, Bass, (Tom) Franklin, Updike, Bukowski, and the like, if that helps at all.)

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
i'd read The New Yorker. It has some of the best creative nonfiction around. Ditto for The Atlantic. And if you like (slightly) more lurid fair, Vanity Fair has some good longer pieces.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
What sorts of essays?

Hi Werner,

I've read a huge number of books about writing, and am racking my mind to think about one for essay writing. I will look through the pile later and see if anything falls out.

In the meantime, could you say what sorts of topics interest you? It seems it would be a lot easier if you knew what you wanted to write, and then find a style to suit it.

Jerry

Werner

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Werner,

I've read a huge number of books about writing, and am racking my mind to think about one for essay writing. I will look through the pile later and see if anything falls out.

In the meantime, could you say what sorts of topics interest you? It seems it would be a lot easier if you knew what you wanted to write, and then find a style to suit it.

Jerry

I lean towards validating my interest in pop culture by finding the parallels between my life and the song/show/movie/etc in question. I write about music quite a bit (Lester Bangs, Nick Hornby's Songbook).

Overall, everything is about the Midwest: growing up in a town of 2000 people in Southwest Wisconsin, working in a gas station in a town of 1000, dealing with small town life. I sit somewhere between the quirks of my interest in both pop culture and the Midwest. From what I've tried my hand at so far, and what I enjoy reading, are humorous essays that stick to the ribs. Wit and cleverness are important, but I desire much more than that when reading/writing essays.

Status
Not open for further replies.