Pen names & interviews

Status
Not open for further replies.

scheherazade

Human
Registered
Reaction score
So, let's say you publish your novel under a pen name. Then you're lucky enough that your novel (or maybe your second or third novel) hits it big and you have to do press to promote it. What happens if your pseudonym is another gender, or you want to protect your anonymity, or you want to imply the author is somehow different than you (in age, ethnic background, whatever)?

Given the increasing demand for authors to provide "extras" - websites, author videos on Amazon, interviews for radio and TV - is that something we should keep in mind before hiding behind a pen name? Are there many novelists out there who hire stand-ins to represent their public face? (And wouldn't that pose a challenge if your career had any longevity??)

jamiehall

Bereaved Snarkling
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamiehall.org
For a while, Daniel Pinkwater appeared with his face mostly hidden in author photos (hiding behind a rhinoceros, and other such silly things). If you really want to hide your face, you could make it into a gimmick that draws interest.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
There are many reasons for using a pseudonym, but only a couple involve secrecy. Many authors are quite open about it.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm waiting for someone to comment on people using opposite sex psuedonym. It's unseemly to me to deceive people about your gender.

Topaz044

Resident Zombie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.warofthesoulites.com
Just to add my two cents, I would feel very bad about lying to anyone giving me an interview about my identity. How do you think that person is going to feel if the truth ever comes out? Same with publishers/agents or anyone else who sees that interviews. IMO people like authors to be honest and someone they can connect to. Lying to them proves that you don't care what they think.

When it comes to websites, it's possible to have your website about your book and not have any author information. Radio interviews-it would be difficult to play opposite sex in that case unless they are willing to change your voice (which would be asking for a lot).

Why are you worried about your security? As one who's written a novel, PM me if you want and I'll offer my opinion. :)

-Natasha

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
I'm waiting for someone to comment on people using opposite sex psuedonym. It's unseemly to me to deceive people about your gender.

Why more so than "lying" about your name? For most writers, I think this is a business decision. For example, there are several men who write romance under female pen names. They (or their publisher) thought that since most romance buyers are women they would prefer a female author. Some female writers use male or gender neutral pen names to write science fiction or some technical books for the same reason - they want to attract a male audience they feel might be put off by a woman writer.

I'm kinda put off by a society that would judge a book by author's gender rather than content, but pen names, cross-gender or not, don't bother me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.