Anyone using VOIP exclusively for home phone?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I'm trying to streamline our bills and it seems what we pay for telephone is outrageous. Unfortunately, since we live a distance from family and many of our friends, we do use long distance a great deal.

So, I'm wondering about my alternatives. Any suggestions?

jst5150

Vorpal Comics. Weekly Podcast. Twitch Artist. Vet
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jasontudor.com
Used Vonage. Had some problems with the provider and calls. However, I'm told that's worked out. Probably would get it again and MAY get it here in Germany.

There's also Skype. That could help you cut down on costs, if that's the tack to be taken. Skype's how Deedee, Annabelle and I speak once a night and it's great.

Hope you're well, Perks.

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
We use www.magicjack.com You have to have high-speed, and of course, your computer has to be booted 24/7.

Has all the bells and whistles (call holding/forwarding/3-way, etc) and for $20.00 a year. Best part is they haven’t figured out to tax it yet! Also, International rates are like a penny a minute.

Downsides - even locally, it’s a ten-digit dial, but you get used to that. And, no fax capabilities. Most times, folk will accept documents as an attachment in an email. If not, it’s off to the local copy center.

We’re satisfied with it and fiscally happy that we’ve made the switch.

p.s. neglected to mention that its inclusive for unlimited local and long distance dialing.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Okay, now I'm a little steamed. ATT just cut my phone bill by $27 just for asking questions. They aren't changing anything about my service or bundle discounts, they just cut the rate.

Crazy.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Be aware that your 911 calls are handled differenly with VOIP and Vonage and other cable phone systems. They do not go directly to the 911 centre. A few months ago there was a story on the news about a baby that died because the cable phone system dropped the 911 calls. I think it happened in Calgary.

So talk to the provider and find out exactly how they handle the 911 calls if you're not going to have a cell phone. If you do have a cell phone I would recommend you use it to call 911 instead of the phone. I hope you never have to phone 911 of course, but it's better to be prepared.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I had Vonage for a while -- great, and much cheaper than a land line. I now only use my cell and have a Google Voice number.

As far as I know, Vonage goes to the 911 center but you have to register your number.

MagicJack does something completely different. So if you value your 911 service, you may want to take that into consideration.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I have no land line, just my cell phone.

My girlfriend and I skype each other... video chat for free is the best price of all.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
My girlfriend and I skype each other... video chat for free is the best price of all.

your "girlfriend". yea.....

:rolleyes:

here's a tip, dave: dont ever believe camgirls when they say they won't charge for the show.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
yes, in the world of internet dating, it's difficult to do the requisite crotch check before plopping down your hard earned money.

:(

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
As I priced it all out, it's cheaper to stay with ATT, with the impromptu discount they gave me, combined with the two ten dollar monthly credits I get towards my cell phone and Direct TV.

The cheapest thing would be to buy a wireless headset and use only Skype and my cell phone, but my daughter is just getting to the age when she gets phone calls, so that would be a hassle, as she's still too young to get much good use out of a cell phone.

But that MagicJack sounds really neat. ATT's only charging me $9 a month now for unlimited long distance, so with the bundling incentives I'd lose, it still wouldn't be worth it for me.