Curious what others think of Writing.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

ad_lucem

Peligro:Herbicidal Poriomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

First, I want to say how glad I am to have found AW. I also stumbled upon writing.com recently. After browsing a little, I fail to see how this site stays in existence.

It seems like a good place to run away from, also seems to have lots of adverts from sketchy places. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Charlie

bohica

scribe to dark muses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroque.com
My only thought on writing.com is that I don't know anybody who uses it, and have never heard anything positive about it. Ergo, I steer clear :)

bsolah

AW's Resident Commie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.benjaminsolah.com
I used to be a frequenter of writing.com a few years back, but couldn't hang around long for the sole reason I wasn't willing to pay to put more than 5 stories there. Paying for writing groups like that seems like a total waste and when you can get excellent advice and critiques at free places, like here, what's the point?

Also, publishing stuff online has its downfalls. The quality of the work on places like that seem kind of low, even though you do occasionally find gems. Fictionpress.com is better because it's free.

But also serious writers should avoid these places because once it's online there, it's considered published, so you can't submit it for publication in a real market, which would be much more useful.

Diana W.

I'm evolving
Registered
Reaction score
I joined writing.com just before I found this site. To be honest I haven't even really looked at that other site so have no real idea what it's like. All I know is I spend so much time here I just don't have time to use other sites! Anyway, no other site can possibly be as good as this one...can it?

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I joined writing.com just before I found this site. To be honest I haven't even really looked at that other site so have no real idea what it's like. All I know is I spend so much time here I just don't have time to use other sites! Anyway, no other site can possibly be as good as this one...can it?

No, this site is better by far. Head, shoulders, and sundry other things above writing.com. I spend more time here anyway. So, I'm mothballing my freebie account over ath Writing.com. It's just not worth the time. Thankfully, I don't owe them any money!

ad_lucem

Registered
Reaction score
I used to be a frequenter of writing.com a few years back, but couldn't hang around long for the sole reason I wasn't willing to pay to put more than 5 stories there. Paying for writing groups like that seems like a total waste and when you can get excellent advice and critiques at free places, like here, what's the point?

Also, publishing stuff online has its downfalls. The quality of the work on places like that seem kind of low, even though you do occasionally find gems. Fictionpress.com is better because it's free.

But also serious writers should avoid these places because once it's online there, it's considered published, so you can't submit it for publication in a real market, which would be much more useful.

Good point.

Dutch Hill Girl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writing.com
It depends what you want to use the site for.

I'm new at writing, and I find writing.com very valuable. I use the site's numerous contest prompts as an incentive to write more, and I constantly receive valuable, detailed reviews on my stories. I also started my first blog on that site, to experiment and see how it works.

I found a mentor, joined groups, won contests, received and gave reviews, subscribed to weekly newsletters (one of my stories was displayed as a link in one of them, and sent many readers my way!), took a class, read articles about writing, won a raffle, visited a chatroom once or twice...

It works for me! I now have about thirty stories I wouldn't have written otherwise.

If you are an experienced writer looking for publication, it may not be a site you would like. But for beginners like me, it's perfect! I found a handful of professional, published writers that were very helpful in reviewing my stories and giving me hints on how to improve them.

One contest I particularly like is the Daily Flash Fiction. There is a different prompt every day, and you have 24 hours to come up with a story of 300 words or less. There are usually less than ten participants, so there is a good chance to win. I received many reviews on the stories I posted there, because they are so short.

Of course, if you just post stories there and wait for reviews, you may be disappointed. You have to get involved, give reviews, post in forums and contests. If you review other writers' stories, they often return the favor.

I hope this helps!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's other stuff out on the web? Fer realz?! :Huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.