Writing techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

muscort

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mischiefstories.com
I tend to be a writer who completes all the basic story concepts in my head first, then I write the details around all those basic concepts.
It appears to me that many writers normally write basic concepts very disciplined. For instance, some come up with a very basic idea for a story and then just start writing the story and fill in the details and more concepts while they write. Another form is to brainstorm first(writing without stopping) to get the basic concepts, then start writing and filling in details along the way.
1.Is there one great way to write stories?

2.Is there a right way and a wrong way?

3.Am I overthinking this?

4.Should I continue doing my own thing?

5.How do you write? Does it fit into any of the categories I mentioned above?

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hit wrong key, posted before I was throughMuscort, here's my opinion which is worth what you paid for it:

no

no

yes

yes

I've only worked on one nf book, I knew the subject and listed the topics dividing them into chapters. Gathered info for each topic. Now to just put it all together and make it flow somehow. Yeah, right.
As for my nf articles, I just start writing, looking for information when I need it. I'm working on changing that tactic since it's a rather slow way to write, and I want to start making money at this thing.

Okay, there you have it, mho. Maybe someone more experienced will chime in and give us some more helpful answers.

Nita

Last edited:

Chesher Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cheshercat.com
Questions 1 through 4 get the same answers as ritinrider, although on #4 I would add - if it's working for you.

Personally, I tend to let each project dictate how I work. I like to mix it up, depending on my inspiration. Sometimes I outline, sometimes not. Sometimes I start writing the story in my head and don't stop til I hit a wall. At some point, I always need to step back and figure out the structure and usually end up with index cards on a bulletin board to keep my story organized. But I never set anything in stone and am always willing to kill what doesn't work, no matter how much I like it.

Best advice is to right everyday - it makes the process easier.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, there is no right or wrong way to flow. Just do your thing and stick with the fundamentals of writing. From my experience, we are all different. I don't need a plot beforehand; actually kind of weird. I just start typing and come up with stuff as I go. Then later, I may plan where I'm headed, but most times I just type and it just flows.

I think there's absolutely nothing to worry about. Just be you, and good luck.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
muscort said:
I tend to be a writer who completes all the basic story concepts in my head first, then I write the details around all those basic concepts.
It appears to me that many writers normally write basic concepts very disciplined. For instance, some come up with a very basic idea for a story and then just start writing the story and fill in the details and more concepts while they write. Another form is to brainstorm first(writing without stopping) to get the basic concepts, then start writing and filling in details along the way.

Where does research fit into this picture? I have yet to work on a non-fiction project that did not require background research and interviews. I have to do research before I can write. I find for me non-fiction writers block arises from two sources - not enough specific detalied information or boredom with the project. The former can be solved by research, the latter by the delete key.

muscort

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mischiefstories.com
The reason I'm in the Nonfiction area

The reason I'm asking these questions in the nonfiction area is because my first book is going to be true stories, which is nonfiction. I saw no area to post in this board to ask questions just about writing in general(fiction or nonfiction are not important to the questions I've asked). I do have 2 ideas for fiction in the future, so answers to these questions will work for that too. Thanks to the writers on this board that are not adversarial. I appreciate that immensely.

Thanks, Erik

P.S. I would like to count all the negative replies to this posting in a few months when it has exhausted itself. I can't avoid those replies no matter how friendly I am.

kaliannah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaliannah.com
I have to agree with the other posters. I don't believe there is a right or wrong way - whatever way works best for you. I personally outline my book, then print it out and work on filling in the blanks. Along the way, I add to my outline, remove from my outline depending on my research. I use a 3 ring binder (aka writers notebook) to jot down my research, etc, onto the corresponding chapters. I find that helps me organize and focus more.

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I've recently begun work on a non-fiction book (my first). So far, all I've done as far as advanced planning is to develop a tentative Table of Contents. That essentially will be the logical flow of the book. From there, it will be mostly research, since the concept requires a great deal of anecdotal evidence. I anticipate that a more developed plan will present itself, based on the stories that I get.

In that way, it's a little like making a documentary film. You develop your concept, but you have to keep it flexible, in case your footage points you in a different direction than you had expected.

muscort

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mischiefstories.com
Excellent!

I like to hear different techniques people use. I can then pick and choose that which suits my personality. Keep on with your techniques!

Status
Not open for further replies.