PDA

View Full Version : Presents for Agents

madderblue
03-29-2009, 01:07 PM
Is it cool to give a present to your agent? I've heard that some authors give a nice bottle of wine when a deal is signed. Is that standard? Are there other gifts you can give? How about the first time you meet your agent? Is there some sort of writerly protocol that should be followed?

Curious,

~terrie

Thump
03-29-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, from my short time in publishing, I have learnt that:

1) publishing people (from agents to marketers to production managers) are thirsty people so sticking with the classic wine bottle ain't a bad idea (you wouldn't believe the quantity of wine we consume when we have any kind of publishing related event both at Uni or at the publisher I did an internship at).

2) dark chocolate is just about as essential to their functioning as wine.

3) good coffee, 'nuff said.

Heh, I've been studying publishing for less than a year and already can't run without regular wine-and-chocolate and 3 cups of strong coffee per day. Oi!

PeeDee
03-29-2009, 05:56 PM
I give them the GIFT of representing ME who is AN ARTIST. What more could they want!?!?

*stomps off to trailer to drink a fizzy water*

maestrowork
03-29-2009, 07:12 PM
It's a business relationship so I guess some kind of gifts would be acceptable... like a fruit basket or chocolate or coffee or some such. Definitely no extravagance or monetary gifts, however. You're not trying to bribe the agent -- this is just for relationship building.

Treat it as a business relationship. Do you give your business associates gifts? Treat this similarly.

Remember, an agent works WITH you, not for you, nor do you work for them. So it's a mutually beneficial relationship.

I never gave my talent agent any gifts. I understand it's a business relationship, and they make commission off of me... and I'm a starving artist. :)

ETA: But I did give a bookstore gift card to my editor. It's just a show of gratitude. Again, relationship building.

priceless1
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Is it cool to give a present to your agent? I've heard that some authors give a nice bottle of wine when a deal is signed. Is that standard? Are there other gifts you can give? How about the first time you meet your agent? Is there some sort of writerly protocol that should be followed?
My agent buds tell me of their clients giving them wine or gift certificates to bookstores or coffee joints. They love the gifts. Who wouldn't? Just don't go overboard. If you truly feel grateful to your agent, go for it.

Man...I envy my agent buds.

Ken
03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm going to get mine a wind-up toy robot. When they place it on their desk it'll locomote about and knock the accumulating manuscripts and whatnot to the floor so they'll be able to ease up and relax for a bit :-)

madderblue
03-30-2009, 02:02 AM
Thanks to everyone for the comments!

Thump. Wow. Those are the kind of gifts I would enjoy best as well. Nice call. I know I'm in the right industry.

Pee Dee, yes, I'd like to one day say..."And 15 percent of $1,000,000 is...love! Enjoy it, baby." Okay, maybe I wouldn't say the 'baby' part.

Maestrowork, exactly. I don't want it to feel...odd. Since I've been living in Japan for nearly twenty years, I have totally come to accept gifts being given often and in abundance and nothing thought of it. I mean a simple visit to my mother-in-law's house and I come back with bags of presents, foods, anything I happened to lay my eyes upon. So here it would be considered natural. But I also vaguely remember that in the States our gift-giving culture isn't so ... prevalent. Since I'm coming from Japan and this will be our first meeting I thought maybe something nice, from here would be okay.

Priceless, yes, not to go overboard. That is another thing I will have to keep in check. Here going overboard but denying it is also common. The weight restrictions on luggage these days might be enough to keep me from going nuts.

Ken, now that sounds like an agent's dream! You know, they just came out with this sexy, runway model robot here that is eerily lifelife. Maybe I could get her to sit in the corner and pout at my agent..."You should releax. Here let me rub your shoulders for you..."

Ken
03-30-2009, 02:10 AM
I caught a glimpse of that new runway robot. Great idea you have of employing it in your agent's service for shoulder massages and the like :-D // Now if I were to buy one for that purpose you just know I'd wind up keeping the robot for myself ;-)

madderblue
03-30-2009, 02:32 AM
You could buy two! Although if I remember the price tag correctly many bazillions of books would have to be sold first. Or....how handy are you with a screwdriver and soldering machine? ;)

Ken
03-30-2009, 02:58 AM
... I'll get to work on a robot at once, and if I manage to construct one I'll post the blueprints so you can make one too ;-)

PeeDee
03-30-2009, 02:59 AM
"Thanks for signing that huge fat deal for me! And here is a gift of...a book by ME! And I signed it for you. No, you don't have to thank me, it's all right. Um. And I need it back by the end of the week."

maestrowork
03-30-2009, 03:19 AM
I'm sure Dean Koontz's or JK Rowling's agents will be sending them gifts instead. 15% of $300 million is how much?

Saskatoonistan
03-30-2009, 03:22 AM

Curious,

~terrie

I am not an agent, just a starving author like a lot of folks here. Feel free to send me your presents as I have long been a fan of free stuff. :)

KikiteNeko
03-30-2009, 03:38 AM
I have no idea. I'll probably send my agent flowers if/when she sells my MS. I am talking like a big obnoxious $200 bouquet. Oh, and I did send a Christmas card.

Susie
03-30-2009, 04:01 AM
In 20 years of writing I never gave any editor a bottle wine, etc. Guess that's why I'm not a famous author of tons of books. :)

MaryMumsy
03-30-2009, 04:32 AM
A place which does fabulous gifts is brownies.com. The company name is Fairytale Brownies, and their products are scrumptious. I (unfortunately) get no kickbacks, although I do know the owner. She was the first person I ever met with a website. She saw the potential early on.

MM

happywritermom
03-30-2009, 04:45 AM
Would it be inappropriate for me to mention my business here?
:)

madderblue
03-30-2009, 05:28 AM
Pee Dee, you have got the attitude I want. Are you a rock star?

Maestro, I wonder at what magical figure the cross over is?...from me eternally gratefull for enough money to replace my laptop to an agent buying a second summer home and sending ME gifts. I imagine it's somewhere around when six figures turn to seven figures.

Saskatoonistan, Hey, I do send bookplates and little Japanese goodies to those who buy my book. Just sayin'.;) (...although I realize that isn't 'entirely' free.)

Tomo, Oooo, flowers would be nice. I mean, I was thinking, what if he doesn't drink wine or is allergic to chocolate? But you can always decorate the office with flowers.

Susie, wouldn't you laugh if for sh%#$ and giggles you sent a little something and the next week you hit number one on the NYTimes best seller list? Damn karma.

Mary, OMG, fairytale brownies! I am going to check out the HP right now. And the fact that my book has threads of fairy tale in it. Great idea!

Happy, why not? I'm infinitely curious and open to all suggestions!

Little Bird
03-30-2009, 05:41 AM
Call me old fashioned (and possibly ignorant about what's normal in this business) but I'd never send flowers to a male agent. All the guys I know would be seriously embarrassed to get flowers from anyone, unless they were in the hospital, terminally ill . . . in which case they'd have more important things to worry about.:)

madderblue
03-30-2009, 05:51 AM
Ha ha, Little Bird, good point. Once I sent my dad a mini bonsai tree thinking it a more manly present. But he killed it within a month's time.

Little Bird
03-30-2009, 05:56 AM
Ha ha, Little Bird, good point. Once I sent my dad a mini bonsai tree thinking it a more manly present. But he killed it within a month's time.

How about a venus fly trap? Then, instead of killing the plant, he could watch it kill things.

madderblue
03-30-2009, 06:15 AM
Done. His next birthday. I think he'd love it. And the fact that the plant finds its own food (instead of having to depend on a forgetful father) is also a plus. ;)

KikiteNeko
03-30-2009, 07:22 AM
How about a venus fly trap? Then, instead of killing the plant, he could watch it kill things.

Oh, I saw one of those in the gift shop when I took my cousin to the children's museum! I totally thought about buying it, but my cats would have eaten it. Or it would have eaten them.

Susie
03-30-2009, 07:55 AM
Pee Dee, you have got the attitude I want. Are you a rock star?

Maestro, I wonder at what magical figure the cross over is?...from me eternally gratefull for enough money to replace my laptop to an agent buying a second summer home and sending ME gifts. I imagine it's somewhere around when six figures turn to seven figures.

Saskatoonistan, Hey, I do send bookplates and little Japanese goodies to those who buy my book. Just sayin'.;) (...although I realize that isn't 'entirely' free.)

Tomo, Oooo, flowers would be nice. I mean, I was thinking, what if he doesn't drink wine or is allergic to chocolate? But you can always decorate the office with flowers.

Susie, wouldn't you laugh if for sh%#$ and giggles you sent a little something and the next week you hit number one on the NYTimes best seller list? Damn karma.

Mary, OMG, fairytale brownies! I am going to check out the HP right now. And the fact that my book has threads of fairy tale in it. Great idea!

Happy, why not? I'm infinitely curious and open to all suggestions!

I'd give it a try, Madder, but don't think even a whole case of wine would help me get on the NYTimes best-seller list. :) PS It might help me write a good novel, though. :D

madderblue
03-30-2009, 08:15 AM
TomotheCat, you could stand by and watch while holding a stick. You know, just in case the plants get the upper hand you could whack them into submission.:whip:

Susie, I hear ya. :roll:

Little Bird
03-30-2009, 09:26 AM
TomotheCat, you could stand by and watch while holding a stick. You know, just in case the plants get the upper hand you could whack them into submission.:whip:

Dang it! Now You've got me thinking of "Little shop of Horrors."

Thump
03-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Ooh, you're in Japan? Neat! Then, may I suggest a small sampler of Japanese sweets? (that don't go stale in luggage?). Or some "exotic" wine (and send me some sake and mochi ;) I might be your publisher someday :p )

Irysangel
03-30-2009, 06:54 PM
I send something to my agent and editor every year. Usually kind of small, edible, and easily shared with the office. Last year it was Fairytale Brownies. :)

madderblue
03-31-2009, 01:25 AM
Little Bird, ... "Suddenly Seymore, is standing beside you, you don't need no make up, don't have to pretend~~"

Thump, I do have a smashing idea for a box of sweets for the office (since I speak with a few people via e-mail there). And I like your preemptive sending of gifts. Again smoothing the wheels of karma.;)

Irysangel, I like the shared-with-the office idea. Fairytale brownes...*drool*