Just hit the 60k mark and needed to tell someone!

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.

As the subject heading says, I just hit the 60k word count on my first novel, and I have an estimated goal of 120k for the finished manuscript, so I am half way there.

It has been a struggle for me to get this far - not because I did not like the story or hit a creative wall...not really. I just got sooo busy with everything else in my life that I was not writing. So for Lent, instead of giving something up, I decided to write every day and had a goal of just 500 words per day - if I wrote less I tried to make it up, but if I wrote more it did not count toward the next day's word quota. I have met or exceeded my goal almost every day so far and in the five weeks since I started this (start date was just before Lent on Feb 22nd), I have written about 25k worth of my total to date.

Now I have a new goal - to keep writing two pages per day (my new material is all hand written in notebooks) and to complete my novel (or reach 120k) by the end of June.

Wish me luck!

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! :D

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I also hit 60k yesterday - can we celebrate together? :tongue

You are doing really, really well. I hope you have a nice warm glow of first-novel achievement. :D

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Congratulations! Celebrate--then make today's quota :)

I'd love to get to break the 60 k barrier myself, on the NaNoWriMo novel I did in November. Got a first draft of almost 53,000 words. So now I'm trying to revise and expand.

I think you definitely have the right idea, having a quota every day. It's amazing how that builds momentum. Best of luck with completing your novel--I bet you will!

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your kind words and support.This last weeks total was a around 6,300 words - which I think is my best week ever.

@Parametric - congrats to you as well. I am totally all about sharing and yesterday can be our sixty-k-day!

I tried to do NaNoWriMo, but I failed...utterly. But, I am past what ever it was that was stemming the flow - I think it was chapter 10 that was doing me in. I was introducing a new character PoV and some other new elements of my setting and I hit a wall.

Thanks again and I will try and be more active again here - I had been but like everything else it had fallen to the wayside.

Later!

Fade

The Captain of My Soul
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, and good luck finishing your novel.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, you're well on your way.

I agree with setting goals. It's really the best way to make it one of your priorities, instead of that thing we do after everything else is done!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
smiley-bounce017.gif
smiley-happy096.gif
poze.gif

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations, Kalthandrix and Parametric!

:partyguy:

Now keep writing.

:e2writer:

I wrote one of my first drafts by hand, too. Kept me on track and moving forward since I couldn't go back and fiddle with the beginning. Typing it in was the first revision.

Good luck!

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
I finished my Lent challenge (last Saturday of course) and had added about 33k to the total of my movel. Not bad for 7 weeks work in the time I could spare at lunch and after my wife and kids went to bed for the night.

Thanks to you all for your kind words. I believe I am a bit over 71k total now and hope, hope mind you, to finish with my first draft on June 27th. With a dual goal of reaching 120k and finishing the draft by my birthday in August, it will give me some time if I need some additional space to finish things out.

...it will be the typing that I will dread. I am going to be working on y typing, which is barely fine right now (I can type a bit without looking at the keyboard, but it is not pretty), but I hope to pick up some typing programs/aids to improve upon those skilz!

Thanks again!

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! After two weeks of slow or no progress I have finally broken the 100k threshold! The closer I was getting, the harder it was becoming to write anything that I liked and it was so fustrating! But I am over it now and I think that I will have this bad boy wrapped(-ish) in about 30-40k more...at least that is my hope.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Wait'll ya get to 140,000 and you still haven't stopped and you start feeling the editing dread.

My WIP and me were like Thelma and Louise at 100K. As soon as I knew I was cutting ten to twenty thousand words, I just kept going.

Congratulations.

Kalthandrix

Awesomeness on Tap!
Registered
Reaction score
I already have the dreads...my draft is all handwritten right now and I have sections that I know need to be fixed and added.

But there is nothing for it but to keep on a-writing.