PDA

View Full Version : How much water?

PastMidnight
03-29-2009, 05:04 AM
What's the minimum amount of water that a person needs to function? I'm not talking a healthy amount of water, like the 8 glasses-a-day thing, but the bare minimum. When hiking in places where water is scarce, how much can you get by with carrying?

Thanks!

Puma
03-29-2009, 07:28 AM
There's an old formula for what's needed for survival (like in the concentrations camps). I know it's a teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of sugar, and one ??? of water a day - gallon is what comes to mind. If it is a gallon, that would weigh 7.5 pounds, so an individual wouldn't want to carry too many days supply. I think most canteens are quart sized these days (you have to figure in being able to refill the carrying container and what type of climate the person is in). Puma

Palmfrond
03-29-2009, 08:58 AM
It's extremely variable. When we hike someplace not too hot or dry, I drink about a quart of water during the day and another while we're in camp. Hiking in the desert, it's more like a gallon during a day, and lots more in camp. It depends.

PastMidnight
03-29-2009, 01:40 PM
Perfect! Just the info I was looking for. I didn't know the size of a canteen. My character's not in a particularly hot or dry climate. Interesting, formula, Puma. I hadn't heard that one before!

RJK
03-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Depends on how much you sweat. Hot climate, desert, you need a lot more. If you're not sweating, you don't need to make up as much.

Tsu Dho Nimh
03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
What's the minimum amount of water that a person needs to function? I'm not talking a healthy amount of water, like the 8 glasses-a-day thing, but the bare minimum. When hiking in places where water is scarce, how much can you get by with carrying?

Thanks!

The usual figure is on gallon per person per day, but in exceptional circumstances, such as June in Arizona, you need more than that just to sit in the shade and do nothing.

jodiodi
04-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Their intake should be equal to their output. Urine output of less than 30cc/hr is considered Oliguria, too low. They should take in at least as much as they put out. If they're sweating, intake should be more.