can I keep a new-born bunnie alive?

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
OK- my son found my barn-cat with a new-born bunny today. Besides a few small scratch marks the poor little thing looks ok. I wrapped it in a wash-clothe, kept it warm and took it to his Karate class with us fully expecting it to be dead by the end of class. When it wasn't we decided it deserved a chance, so off to petco we went. We bought formula and a syringe feeder.

It is eating (I'm so afraid of it aspirtating!) It is pink and wiggling around,but I told my son not to expect much.

Can this fragile little thing really make it? When I say new born- I mean it- Its eyes are still fused, the umbilical cord stump was still attached, it is naked (no fur) probably only an hour or so old when we found it-

What should I do that I'm not doing already? How often should I feed it?

Help!! (and Thanks!)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Also, I don't know about rabbits specifically, but I would currently advise against feeding it. And check the hot water bottle every hour, when cold they SUCK heat. And make sure there's room for the little one to get away from the heat a bit. Quiet, no stress, dark...

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I know, I don't expect it to live, I really don't. I almost wish my cat would have killed it. But it is alive now and I can't just put it outside, you know? But my son (he's 11) is standing there begging me to save it, tears streaming down his face. I warned him it will die and told him to prepare himself for it- *sigh* Poor little thing

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know, I don't expect it to live, I really don't. I almost wish my cat would have killed it. But it is alive now and I can't just put it outside, you know? But my son (he's 11) is standing there begging me to save it, tears streaming down his face. I warned him it will die and told him to prepare himself for it- *sigh* Poor little thing
You have already gotten this advice, but call a wildlife rehabilitater immediately. They are trained to deal with abandoned animals and the baby will have the best chance of survival that way. Rabbits are notoriously difficult to bottle feed. My h and I run a rabbitry. I have had multiple opportunities to try this and no success.

The baby has to be kept warm too. If you call animal control they will be able to tell you who the local animal rehabbers are. Good luck.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, there is even a PAWR http://pawr.com/

And I know you are doing what you can, but it's not even legal for you to hold on to the rabbit, aside from trying to get it to a rehabber. That law is there for a good reason. :eek:

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys! I called several wildlife rehabs in my area- no answer! I left messages,so we will see. The little thing will most likely be gone by morning- I appreciate the help.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck.

Oh, and given the hour, I should have said- try some ER vets. They ARE NOT allowed to charge you, but ARE allowed to turn him away. You might get lucky. Bonus is you don't have to worry about finding the body, if it goes that way.

I took a turtle to a vet 20 minutes away a few months back b/c that was the only wildlife vet around here.

The vets are allowed to stabilize the bunny and then turn him over to the rehabbers. In fact, most rehabbers have relationships with the vets around you, rather than their own personal vet.

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
Because it's a weekend, you might not find anyplace open, but call the emergency vet in your area. It's worth a shot.

When I was a kid I found a mouse whose nest had been demolished by a lawnmower. It was a baby with its eyes fused shut too. It only lived for two or three days though.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
emergency vet's a good idea until you can find an open rehab. I know one, only she's here in CT. Doesn't help you much. She'd take it in a heartbeat. Interesting, she's always open.

If you have an address for one, drive over there and knock on the door. They're supposed to be there, 'cause otherwise, who's taking care of all the critters?

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the inevitable happened- Bunny died despite(or maybe because of:Shrug:) all we tried- I knew it would.

Services will be held later this morning, all are invited-

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bugger. At least now you'll have numbers handy for the next one :Shrug:

joyce

I'm really shy...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thoughtsfromthecave.blogspot.com
I'm sorry to hear about the bunny. How's your son doing? I remember when my daughter was younger, somehow she thought I was a miracle worker and could make anything live. Motherhood is daunting sometimes.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
My son is doing okay- thanks for the concern- he cried, told me he was sure it would live despite what I told him, we dug a grave next to our beloved cat Jerry, put him in a zip lock baggy (so the dirt wouldn't get in his face :) and covered him up- my son DID name him- Miracle- yeah,not so much, huh? Now my daughter (10) is far more practicle- told her brother- "it's just the circle of life,"
LOL! She wanted to let the cat eat it-

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My son is doing okay- thanks for the concern- he cried, told me he was sure it would live despite what I told him, we dug a grave next to our beloved cat Jerry, put him in a zip lock baggy (so the dirt wouldn't get in his face :) and covered him up- my son DID name him- Miracle- yeah,not so much, huh? Now my daughter (10) is far more practicle- told her brother- "it's just the circle of life,"
LOL! She wanted to let the cat eat it-

:ROFL:

Your daughter is too cute, and practical.

MM

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, poor little bunny. That makes me very sad.