PDA

View Full Version : A Haunting in Connecticut

Pamster
03-29-2009, 12:09 AM
http://www.necn.com/Boston/New-England/2009/03/27/Haunting-in-Connecticut-has/1238190479.html

I haven't seen it yet, but I have seen the "A Haunting in Connecticut" Discovery channel episode of "A Haunting" and it was definitely freaky. What do you think of all this?

justme
03-29-2009, 12:17 AM
Here's an interesting article on the movie:

http://www.damnedct.com/damned-interview-ray-garton/

I believe in ghosts, but not sure I believe their story.

Zoombie
03-29-2009, 12:25 AM
It looks like crap.

Pamster
03-29-2009, 03:37 AM
I have to agree, looks like a woofer...

Zoombie
03-29-2009, 03:39 AM
But do you know what my complaint about it is?

Its billing itself as "based off a true story"

Yeah.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

mscelina
03-29-2009, 03:47 AM
But do you know what my complaint about it is?

Its billing itself as "based off a true story"

Yeah.

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT.

and how do you know that it's not? hmmm? where you there? did you live in the house?

It's very easy to attach your personal belief systems onto people you don't even know and make the assumption that they are liars. Of course, that's not necessarily the nice thing to do, now is it?

I've read several accounts of this story and seen the Discovery Channel show about it too. The family involved seemed like very nice, very sincere people who were also dealing with the serious illness of their son (cancer) at the time these events allegedly took place. Tarring them with the bulls*it brush seems a little harsh to me.

But yeah, the movie looks hokey to me. It's a wait for the DVD movie in my world.

Zoombie
03-29-2009, 03:58 AM
I'm a skeptic. That's my job.

Till someone proves that ghosts are real, I'm going to suggest that there might be a more rational explanation for everything that happened.

But rational explanations just don't make nearly as entertaining movies.

I have no ill wind to the family...something weird happened during a horrible time in their life...and now a bunch of media vultures are making a fat profit off of it.

I don't know about you, but that strikes me as unethical at best.

Perks
03-29-2009, 04:03 AM
I'm actually disappointed by the reception its getting. I love a good haunted house story and I thought the trailer for this one was looking very promising. Standard horror movie fare, for sure, but if it's done well, I'm all for it.

As it is, I still might go see it. I really like Elias Koteas and Virginia Madsen.

Perks
03-29-2009, 04:05 AM
I have no ill wind to the family...something weird happened during a horrible time in their life...and now a bunch of media vultures are making a fat profit off of it.

Actually, if you read the account of Ray Garton, the guy who wrote the book, it's likely the family getting a fat profit off a very iffy story. It's not even clear if the boy had cancer or was just a punk with drug and attitude problems.

Still, that doesn't mean their fiction couldn't make a fun scary movie.

Zoombie
03-29-2009, 04:08 AM
And people wonder why I'm a skeptic!

Jeeze...at least it could make a nice movie, though I am not a fan of "haunting films".

If I were ever in them, I'd just burn the house down. Cause...fire is pretty...

justme
03-29-2009, 05:09 AM
I found another interesting blog post. It's a clip from the 80's on A Current Affair.

http://paranormalspy.com/videos/haunting-in-connecticut-originally-on-a-current-affair.html

I've had paranormal encounters of my own. But I hate when people make up stuff. No one wants to take the study of paranormal seriously when they see things like this. With that said, mscelina is right, there's no way to know if their story is true or not.

Celia Cyanide
03-29-2009, 10:13 AM
I'm a skeptic. That's my job.

Till someone proves that ghosts are real, I'm going to suggest that there might be a more rational explanation for everything that happened.

It isn't really a "more rational" explanation. It's just a different one. In the case of this particular haunting, it was probably not very true, considering it was investigated by the same paranormal researchers as the Amityville House. But people believe in all kinds of things without proof that they exist. It's only irrational to believe in something that has been proven false.

Having said all of that, I caught a free preview screening on Wednesday with Lantern Jack, and we thought it was an entertaining little horror movie. Much better than what Hollywood has been putting out lately. The actor who played the son was quite good. We read some of the negative reviews, and I have to say I think some of them disliked the film because they were annoyed by the fact that it isn't really true. One thing about it, though...it isn't really a "true story," but its characters were based on real people. This made the characters much more interesting that many Hollywood horror movies. They weren't stock characters. I liked it.

Zoombie
03-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Well, good!

I just wish they'd downplay the supposed base in real life and just play it as entertainment.

Perks
03-29-2009, 05:48 PM
We read some of the negative reviews, and I have to say I think some of them disliked the film because they were annoyed by the fact that it isn't really trueI have to say that did take some of the sparkle off Fargo for me. When I found out the Cohen brothers just put the claim of 'everything but the names is true' claim just for giggles, I was most annoyed.

But with this one, at least I know in advance.

Perks
03-30-2009, 03:06 AM
I don't know guys, I'm just back from seeing this and I thought it was quite good. The two lead actors were excellent, especially Kyle Gallner who I don't recall seeing before, but look forward to finding out what else he can do. It did a couple of things so much better than most haunted house stories, if it doesn't bother you that it wasn't a 'true story'.

The usual first hurdle in a haunted house story, once you've found an audience willing to check most of their disbelief at the door, is the problem of why in the hell would the characters stay through more than about ten minutes of the fun house terror? 'The Haunting in Connecticut' takes care of this admirably. It cuts the oh-come-on factor by 90%. That's an achievement.

And the second thing is the boo tactics. Most horror and suspense fans have run out of tolerance for random cats jumping out to scare the shit out of you for no good reason. This film employs an interesting slant on that. There's enough obvious lead-in to a scare that when the jump-out-and-getcha moment comes, it's to goose the characters, not the audience. So you still get to flinch in your seat, but you don't feel like an ass for having done it. You don't get the impression this director had a great disdain for his patrons.

I haven't seen as good a horror flick in the theatres since I don't know when. Your mileage may vary, but don't write it off on general principles.

brainstorm77
03-30-2009, 05:32 PM
They covered this story on the show A Haunting on The Discovery Channel.

kristie911
03-30-2009, 06:03 PM
I can't wait to see it. Whether it's true, partially true or total bull, I don't care. I just want a movie that scares me a little. :)

Lyra Jean
03-30-2009, 08:29 PM
I love the show A Haunting. I seen this one. The woman must have changed her mind about knowing that it was a former funeral home cause in "A Haunting" she said she knew it was. Unlike what she said in "A Current Events" clip.

When I watch "A Haunting" I tend to believe that what the people are going through believe it is real. Whether it is real or not is up for debate. The Amityville Horror researchers have been on a couple of "A Haunting" and I think it's their attachment to "The Amityville Horror" that I really don't believe in what they say.

I have learned how to cleanse a house of spirits. Sage stick anyone? I'm going to watch the movie but due to money will probably wait for it on Netflix.

KikiteNeko
03-30-2009, 08:34 PM
I live in CT, so the local news ran a story on the house when the movie aired. They said there's a big controversy as to whether or not the family made the whole thing up, and that the family living in the house now has never had any problems.

I have no opinion either way. Certain things I don't question.

brainstorm77
03-30-2009, 09:05 PM
I love the show A Haunting. I seen this one. The woman must have changed her mind about knowing that it was a former funeral home cause in "A Haunting" she said she knew it was. Unlike what she said in "A Current Events" clip.

When I watch "A Haunting" I tend to believe that what the people are going through believe it is real. Whether it is real or not is up for debate. The Amityville Horror researchers have been on a couple of "A Haunting" and I think it's their attachment to "The Amityville Horror" that I really don't believe in what they say.

I have learned how to cleanse a house of spirits. Sage stick anyone? I'm going to watch the movie but due to money will probably wait for it on Netflix.

Bump the story changes up to dramatic effect :)

kristie911
03-30-2009, 10:24 PM
The Amityville Horror researchers have been on a couple of "A Haunting" and I think it's their attachment to "The Amityville Horror" that I really don't believe in what they say.

Ed and Lorraine Warren (he died a couple years ago, I believe) were considered in the paranormal community to be leading experts in the field of demonology. She is still fairly active as far as I know, though she's getting up there in age.

Doesn't mean you have to believe them. :D But they are highly regarded in paranormal circles.

Of course, if you don't believe in any of this stuff...I guess that wouldn't matter. :)

Kitty Pryde
03-30-2009, 10:47 PM
For some reason, putting that 'veneer of truth' on a fictional story makes it waaaaay scarier for me than it would be otherwise. Even if I can repeatedly tell myself rationally that a story is made up, if it's presented as 'Real Stuff That Really Happened', it freaks me out, despite the fact that I don't really believe in people or places being haunted.

That said, half the bus stations in LA have a DISGUSTING poster of the kid from the movie barfing some enormous grotesque flower and I have to say it's put me off the film. Nothing takes the shine of eating takeout in the car on the way home from work like a huge poster of fantasy-horror movie vomit.

Lyra Jean
03-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Ed and Lorraine Warren (he died a couple years ago, I believe) were considered in the paranormal community to be leading experts in the field of demonology. She is still fairly active as far as I know, though she's getting up there in age.

Doesn't mean you have to believe them. :D But they are highly regarded in paranormal circles.

Of course, if you don't believe in any of this stuff...I guess that wouldn't matter. :)

I do believe in Ghosts and the paranormal. I did not know that they were highly regarded in paranormal circles though. I haven't really delved into the community or such. I'll reconsider my opinion.

anne_marie
03-31-2009, 12:59 AM
I am not sure whether or not the story is true or not. From what I have seen in documentaries / read in the papers and on the net it sounds iffy to me but hey, who knows right?

I do want to see the movie however for two reasons.
1)It was filmed in the city I live in :D
2)Several people I know are in it. A friend of mine's children (twins) play ghostly children and some other local actors as well so I would like to see it more in support of them.

justme
03-31-2009, 01:07 AM
Ed and Lorraine receive mixed reviews within the paranormal community. Lorraine was just on Paranormal State last week.

Perks
03-31-2009, 04:43 AM
That said, half the bus stations in LA have a DISGUSTING poster of the kid from the movie barfing some enormous grotesque flower and I have to say it's put me off the film.

Lol! I can't figure out why they used that in the promo. It's not puke, if that helps any. I mean, it's not good news, but at least it's not his lunch and a little bile.

Writer2011
04-03-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm thinking I want to see this but not sure just yet.

kristie911
04-03-2009, 10:32 PM
A couple of friends have seen it and LOVED it! They said it was appropriately scary without resorting to gore, which most recent horror movies are. I have no use for movies that simply use gore to scare people.

I'm dying to see this but like every other movie that comes out, unless it's animated, I won't get to see it. *waits impatiently for the DVD to come out*

jodiodi
04-03-2009, 11:24 PM
We'll probably go see it. It'll give us something to do with the kids this weekend.

Plus, there's that big tub'o'extra-elixer of death butter substance popcorn to consider. We can't get enough.

EFCollins
04-04-2009, 12:34 AM
I want to see it. I watched the discovery channel version, which they turned into a two hour special thing if I'm not mistaken.

Believing in ghosts... that's a hard question. I don't believe in God either, but I'm not going to say he isn't real. I just don't know. I've had paranormal experiences, but I'm not going to go saying ghosts exist. I'm open minded in this as much as I am in all things. Hearing your child's name called to you in your sleep (Not to mention still hearing that voice saying "Nicholas! Nicholas!" long after you wake up) and after going to check on that child, you find he has a high fever... well, that tends to open your eyes. Wide.

However, people confuse this story with one of a haunting. It's not. From what I've gathered, the boy in question is supposed to be more possessed than haunted... the Discovery channel claimed that he seemed possessed. I don't believe in possessions either, not necessarily, but as it stands, I can say maybe they do. Maybe not. It depends on whether or not you believe in the power of suggestion. People can believe anything, if their minds will let them. My mind won't always let me.

Demonic possession, in my mind, can be as simple a thing as power of suggestion. If a person believes themselves to be possessed, then they act as if they are. It's not hard to convince yourself, or to allow yourself to be convinced by others, that something is wrong. That is how so many supposed mystics and psychics make their money. They use the power of suggestion to convince other that what they say is true. They lead and get their answers from you, whether you try to give it to them or not. They're just good cons.

Does that mean there are no hauntings? No. It doesn't mean that at all. What it does mean is: If you look for a haunting, you'll find one. If you just happen upon one, then you may have the genuine thing. Just don't fall prey to those who would feast upon your troubles. They are aplenty. This story? Based on real people who probably believe very much that their house was haunted and caused their son to act the way he did. Reality? A horny teen (based on their claim that he tried philandering with his cousin who was staying over) who liked to cause trouble and blamed the ghosts/demons/whatever. But it makes for good film and I want to see it. Bad.

Gynn
04-04-2009, 07:26 AM
I'm a skeptic and an agnostic. I have very little faith in anything. If I saw a ghost face to face, (not felt it or heard it, but actually saw one) it would flip my life onto its lid. It would change me as a person.

Unfortunately, there's no such thing as a sure haunting. I hear about haunted hotels and opera houses, etc., but if it were true wouldn't there be film by now?

As for the film, please let me know how it is. I'm looking for movies that are chilling (The Sixth Sense, for example) not jumpy.

jodiodi
04-05-2009, 11:47 AM
We saw it today. I actually jumped several times during the movie. It had an appropriately creepy atmosphere and, if you allow yourself the necessary willing suspension of disbelief (as all drama is supposed to evoke), then I believe it to be a pretty good movie. It was well worth the matinee price for me, my husband and 2 kids.

Greenwolf103
04-10-2009, 09:37 AM
The usual first hurdle in a haunted house story, once you've found an audience willing to check most of their disbelief at the door, is the problem of why in the hell would the characters stay through more than about ten minutes of the fun house terror?

You'd be surprised. Some families and couples have endured terrible and horrifying paranormal experiences in their homes and stayed through it.

Zoombie
04-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Could you share their reasoning?

Beyond the initial and incredibly paranoid reason I came up with: they're faking

Perks
04-10-2009, 03:14 PM
You'd be surprised. Some families and couples have endured terrible and horrifying paranormal experiences in their homes and stayed through it.

"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense."

-Tom Clancy

Zoombie
04-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Reality usually makes sense.

Its just we don't see every side of the story when we're in reality.

Something that seems completely nonsensical to us is "But of course" to someone on the other side of the fence.

Perks
04-10-2009, 04:08 PM
I agree. Even still, in fiction, the sense generally has to be linear enough for the target audience to follow and believe. In life, either it is or it isn't and it has no bearing, because life doesn't need to be believed to have happened.

Plus, no one is asking to get paid to live their life.

Zoombie
04-10-2009, 04:21 PM
So, really, my best reason for why people continue to live in a Haunted House: Because they read the script.

Though, actually, the REAL best reason was in The Shining: It was remote enough, subtle enough, and "possibly all in the head" enough to be, ya know, understandable.

Perks
04-10-2009, 04:37 PM
Yeah, The Shining is a great example of a writer selling the fiction of staying. In fact, Stephen King does a pretty good job of justifying the whys and wherefores of all the outrageous scenarios he dreams up. That might be key to his success - whatever the nonsense, you believe the characters.

The reality of staying? If there are haunted houses, I can't imagine.

Zoombie
04-10-2009, 04:45 PM
You can forgive a lot if you believe the characters are actually people and not just...characters.

anne_marie
04-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I do believe in Ghosts and the paranormal. I did not know that they were highly regarded in paranormal circles though. I haven't really delved into the community or such. I'll reconsider my opinion.

In several movies that deal with haunted houses and possessions that are based on "true occurrences", Ed and Lorraine Warren were the lead researchers. I believe (correct me if I am wrong) Amityville, "The haunted" (made for TV movie in the 80's / 90's) and now this one. I don't know how "respected" they are in the paranormal investigation community but they have done a lot of work in the field.

anne_marie
04-10-2009, 06:47 PM
1) Believing in ghosts... that's a hard question. I don't believe in God either,
2)Demonic possession, in my mind, can be as simple a thing as power of suggestion.

1)I think I would beleive in ghosts before I beleive in God. Simply because there have been so many reports of people seeing ghosts and other weird things happening and they do not get raked through the coals as bad as someone who says that they have seen God or heard him talkign to them. Those people usually get medicated.

2)There are so many rational explanations for possessions that it is easy to think that theya re just schitzophrenic or crazy. If an Exorcism can help them deal with whatever is going on in their heads then give them an exorcism. For soem reason the church is turning their backs on the old ways btu really what does it hurt? If someone beleives that an exorcism will help them then why not just prefrom the service?

anne_marie
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM

In movies for the sake of the audience, the length of time is shortened. If you lived in a house and for the first year, strange things like your keys or purse not being where you left them were happening would you scream and run out? The occurrences usually happen gradually and then escalate.

I beleive people stay because of the gradual process and one day they wake up and say, "Holy Sh*t! Our house is haunted!" and also if you own, you can't just walk away and abandon your house. You'd still have to pay the mortgage and all expenses in addition to the rent at a new apartment or buying a new house so in the long run not many people could afford that.

Lyra Jean
04-10-2009, 07:13 PM
1)I think I would beleive in ghosts before I beleive in God. Simply because there have been so many reports of people seeing ghosts and other weird things happening and they do not get raked through the coals as bad as someone who says that they have seen God or heard him talkign to them. Those people usually get medicated.

2)There are so many rational explanations for possessions that it is easy to think that theya re just schitzophrenic or crazy. If an Exorcism can help them deal with whatever is going on in their heads then give them an exorcism. For soem reason the church is turning their backs on the old ways btu really what does it hurt? If someone beleives that an exorcism will help them then why not just prefrom the service?

In the Discover Channel "A Haunting" they did commit their son to the psych ward at the hospital yet the haunting in house continued.

Lyra Jean
04-10-2009, 07:16 PM
In movies for the sake of the audience, the length of time is shortened. If you lived in a house and for the first year, strange things like your keys or purse not being where you left them were happening would you scream and run out? The occurrences usually happen gradually and then escalate.

I beleive people stay because of the gradual process and one day they wake up and say, "Holy Sh*t! Our house is haunted!" and also if you own, you can't just walk away and abandon your house. You'd still have to pay the mortgage and all expenses in addition to the rent at a new apartment or buying a new house so in the long run not many people could afford that.

I've watched almost every sing "A Haunting" on the Discovery channel. #1 reason for not moving is that they sunk all their money into their dream house and just cannot afford to move. They are usually not near any family or close friends so they can't stay with anyone. Although in the majority of the cases as soon as they realize that their house is haunted they start saving their money to move or it becomes so bad that they'd rather be homeless than live in the house.

sunday morning
04-11-2009, 04:56 AM
I read the book that this is based on & (if I remember correctly) money was the reason they stayed. They couldn't afford to move after just buying the house.

I'm looking forward to seeing this movie. The book was quite scary. How true it all was or not, I don't know, but either way, it was good.

LaurieD
04-11-2009, 05:02 AM
A couple of friends have seen it and LOVED it! They said it was appropriately scary without resorting to gore, which most recent horror movies are. I have no use for movies that simply use gore to scare people.

I'm dying to see this but like every other movie that comes out, unless it's animated, I won't get to see it. *waits impatiently for the DVD to come out*

QFT

You and me both

sunday morning
04-14-2009, 04:36 AM
I saw it last night & it was really good. Much better than most of the scary movies they make nowadays, felt more like the old-school good ones. It was like the book I read, although the ending was different. And the reasoning behind the haunting.

brainstorm77
08-09-2009, 07:04 AM
I liked the TV special but did not like the movie..