Earth Hour

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Let us all try to find something to do for an hour in the dark.

EARTH HOUR

8:30PM local time, wherever you live on planet earth. Saturday 28 March 2009

Last edited:

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I am going to surprise everyone and not go there. :tongue:

Seriously, having read the article and looked at the pictures. I wonder how much energy they would have saved if they had turned all the lights off and not just a select few.

It's interesting how much light gets scattered in the big cities. Gainesville is dark, can't see my feet dark, at night, something I never experienced when I lived in LA, even when I was in a "dark" alley.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We could go out and look at the stars.

petec

Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Oops cross post, Love your avi Alleycat

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:Thumbs: Without all the light pollution there would be more to see. :)
Among astronomy buffs, light pollution is a big worry.

I grew up in the country. When I was a kid I would sit in the backyard on summer evenings and try to find the constellations. Some are easy to identify, some take a little more work.

A trivia fact. The constellations seen in the northern hemisphere was identified and named in ancient times, but some of those seem in the southern hemisphere was not named until more recent times. There are some strange constellations there; such as microscope, a clock, and an artist's easel. Maybe even a typewriter (I'm not sure about that one).

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once wrote a short story entitled A Conversation in the Dark. It was about a woman who gets stranded in a remote area during a sudden snowstorm and has to seek shelter at nearby farmhouse. There's only a charming, good-looking guy living at the farmhouse.

Later the lights go out and all they have is a candle or two. The guy and woman have a glass of wine and talk. The woman finds that it's easy to open up to someone (even a stranger) in the dark. She tells the guy all about herself; and he tell her some things about himself. As they talk, the woman begins to feel uneasy. She begins to wonder about the guy. Is this really even his house? Or has he killed the owners and using it as some sort of hideout? Is she in danger, or is it all her imagination? Should she run at the first opportunity she gets?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have a battery-powered HD TV for use in emergencies. I could sit and watch Sesame Street at the moment!

Beach Bunny

The Provocative One
Registered
Reaction score
I once wrote a short story entitled A Conversation in the Dark. It was about a woman who gets stranded in a remote area during a sudden snowstorm and has to seek shelter at nearby farmhouse. There's only a charming, good-looking guy living at the farmhouse.

Later the lights go out and all they have is a candle or two. The guy and woman have a glass of wine and talk. The woman finds that it's easy to open up to someone (even a stranger) in the dark. She tells the guy all about herself; and he tell her some things about himself. As they talk, the woman begins to feel uneasy. She begins to wonder about the guy. Is this really even his house? Or has he killed the owners and using it as some sort of hideout? Is she in danger, or is it all her imagination? Should she run at the first opportunity she gets?

I think the reason it is easier to open up to someone in the dark is because you can't see them, so you aren't getting the physical cues you get when the lights are on. It can also get weird as it did in your story.

I have a battery-powered HD TV for use in emergencies. I could sit and watch Sesame Street at the moment!
:ROFL: ... Yes, it is important to have battery back-up for those necessary household appliances like the HD TV. :Thumbs:

cherubsmummy

Experienced Lurker
Registered
Reaction score
It was a very nice hour here. We walked up a hill to watch the lights go off on local landmarks. My five year old was disappointed at the lack of fireworks.

Happy Earth Hour, World!