PDA

View Full Version : How do agents stay in contact with their authors?

nehama
03-28-2009, 07:30 AM
Once you've been so fortunate as to find an agent, do they tend to stay in contact with you via snail mail, email or phone, to keep you informed on the status of your novel, as they deal with potential editors? Is there a common scenario or does it simply depend on the agent?

Provrb1810meggy
03-28-2009, 07:32 AM
I keep in contact via email almost exclusively, though we did talk on the phone after she offered representation. I think with most agents, the majority of contact will be made through email, some contact will be made through the phone, and virtually none (unless they're sending a contract or a card or something) through snail mail.

Clair Dickson
03-28-2009, 07:53 AM
From what I've read on different agent blogs, it depends partly on the agent and on the author. Some authors want status updates on submissions, rejections, etc. Some agents prefer to give periodic updates and when there's something to tell. But, the key is communication. (Hey, wait, that's what all successful relationships need! How can that be?)

If you have an agent, you can work out how to communicate and how often so that both of you are content. Or so I hear.

Blondchen
03-28-2009, 10:48 AM
Agents really vary in the approach to their clients. One of the questions I asked when deciding on representation was how each agent viewed their communication style. I wasn't necessarily looking for a hand holder, but I also knew I couldn't deal with a super hands off, hear from me ever so often type of agent.

My agent's communication style is exactly what I expected from our contact before I signed: mostly email, she's super quick to respond, she doesn't make me feel like a dumbass for asking questions I should probably already know the answers to and the one time I was feeling discouraged, she gave me a great pep talk.

ChaosTitan
03-28-2009, 06:23 PM
Agents really vary in the approach to their clients. One of the questions I asked when deciding on representation was how each agent viewed their communication style.

Very important question when deciding to sign with an agent. :)

My agent told me right up front that he's always available, and he will return phone calls/emails within 24 hours. We communicate mostly through email, when there's something to chat about, or if I have questions about something. We spoke on the phone several times during and after our first sale was made--mostly about contract stuff, so I was sure to understand.

He always calls with good news. :)

Every agent is going to be different in how and how often they communicate, so it's something you need to talk (and know what you require to keep you sane) about before you sign.