When to contact agent after sending requested revision

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
An agent read my full & called me in January. We discussed what she liked and disliked about the ms at length. The conversation ended with, "You'd have to make some drastic changes in order for me to take another look at it."

I made drastic changes, e-mailed asking if she'd like to see it, and less than an hour later got her reply: "I look forward to receiving it."

That was seven weeks and four days ago (not that I'm counting! :) ). She likes her ms snail mail, so I sent it priority mail, but neglected to ask for delivery confirmation.

I'm tempted to e-mail her if I haven't heard anything by the end of next week. She seems to be so quick to respond to e-mail, it's really tempting . . . Somebody stop me if that's a stupid idea.

Thanks.

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
Seven weeks is not very long. I would wait...if you want to see if she received it a short email asking if it arrived is not out of line.

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
I know it's not that long, but it sure feels that way. I keep checking my calendar to make sure it really hasn't been longer!

I feel like I should have e-mailed right away if I wanted to ask whether she received it. Please, everyone, get delivery confirmation (doesn't require signature) and spare yourself this misery. I'm afraid if I do it now it will come across as a nudge, or an indication that I'm freaking out, thinking she must not have gotten it if I haven't heard from her yet.

What is an appropriate length of time to wait before asking about the status of my ms?

Thanks for the feedback

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I know it takes time, but I would send a short, to the point email re status. After seven weeks I don't think it matters whether you wait another week or two.

flyingtart

Warning: may contain humour.
Registered
Reaction score
If you email to ask whether she received it, she may give an indication of whether she's looked at it yet.

Remember, an agent's first priority is their existing clients so you have to be content with being at the back of the queue. Better to get on with writing your next novel and try to forget about it.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If you email to ask whether she received it, she may give an indication of whether she's looked at it yet.

Remember, an agent's first priority is their existing clients so you have to be content with being at the back of the queue. Better to get on with writing you next novel and try to forget about it.

Good advice. :)

Also, another method folks use instead of delivery confirmation is to drop a posted post card into the submission package, addressed back to you. Few agents will have a problem adding it their outgoing mail.

loiterer

Registered
Reaction score
Did you offer her an exclusive for a set period of time? If that time has passed, then definitely drop a quick email.

If not; how long did the agent take the first time she read your full? I'd use that as a barometer. e.g. if she took 3 months to read the full last time, then I'd personally leave it another month, and in the meantime query other agents.

But if you're truly dying of anxiety, it's probably okay to shoot off a really short sweet email.

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
I declined an exclusive on the first full, so I assume that applies to the revised version.

Using the amount of time she took to get back to me the first time (six weeks) to judge how long I should wait sounds like a good idea, except that she had the first full over the holidays. I'm not sure whether that means she had more time or less to read. She did tell me, "I read your manuscript over my break."

Several of you have suggested that a brief e-mail would be harmless. As I said before, it's tempting . . . but has anyone out there had that backfire on them?

Thanks so much for the advice!

flyingtart

Registered
Reaction score
Several of you have suggested that a brief e-mail would be harmless. As I said before, it's tempting . . . but has anyone out there had that backfire on them?

I was in this situation with an agent recently and he replied immediately. As long as you keep it short and polite, I can't imagine anyone would mind. And it'll put your mind at rest.

Danthia

You might also check her website (if she has one) and see if there's a typical response time mentioned. Three months is pretty common, so seven weeks is a little early. If she happens to have multiple contracts or negotiations going on right now, or clients books to review, she could be behind.

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
You might also check her website (if she has one) and see if there's a typical response time mentioned. Three months is pretty common, so seven weeks is a little early. If she happens to have multiple contracts or negotiations going on right now, or clients books to review, she could be behind.

Good advice. Thanks. Unfortunately no such info on the website. Oh, well.

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
So, I e-mailed her today asking if the ms arrived safely. She said, "It did. And my assistant and I are working on an editorial letter and manuscript edits right now. We plan to have them ready next week. Hope that's OK."

Does an "editorial letter" usually come with an offer to represent me, should I agree to those edits?

I'm doing a happy dance either way! :PartySmil

ORION

Sailed away years ago
Registered
Reaction score
Website
patriciawoodauthor.com
and if she asks for your first born son give him up as well! lol
of course ... IF you want her to represent you.
many times agents that are interested in you ask you to do revisions to see how fast and well you work...ALL manuscripts need editing...

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
I think I worded my question poorly. I really, really, really want this agent. I will say yes if she offers to represent me.

My question is: Does the fact that she's sending me edits mean that those will come with an offer of representation? Is that usually the case? Keep in mind, I've already been through the "make drastic changes and then I'll consider looking at it again" business with this agent.

SJAB

Being edited for submission
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susanjboulton.com
many times agents that are interested in you ask you to do revisions to see how fast and well you work...ALL manuscripts need editing...

That happened to me. At the time I assumed it was a test to see if I could work on revisions in a business like fashion, without throwing my toys out the pram. Even since signing I have done another set of edits. The idea, according to my agent, is to have the manuscript so shiny no editor can resist it. lol

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
That she mentions working on an editorial letter sounds hugely encouraging as that is the pitch letter she sends out to editors to persuade them to read it.
Sounds like you are very close to getting an offer

flyingtart

Registered
Reaction score
So, I e-mailed her today asking if the ms arrived safely. She said, "It did. And my assistant and I are working on an editorial letter and manuscript edits right now. We plan to have them ready next week. Hope that's OK."

Does an "editorial letter" usually come with an offer to represent me, should I agree to those edits?

I'm doing a happy dance either way! :PartySmil

Oh, how exciting, LB! :hooray: Do keep us posted.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I think it would be presumptuous to assume that an agent's request for revisions will be accompanied by an offer to represent.

Although I don't know the precise meaning of an editorial letter, I've always assumed it to be other than what waylander describes. I think it means a letter sent to you in which the editor elaborates on the reasons why s/he believes revisions and editing are necessary. Not sure???

Little Bird

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, everybody!

If anyone has any more experience with "editorial letters" please let me know, as I'm still confused, but optimistic.