Tesla

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
now has a sedan. While it's still expensive, it's definitely more affordable than the $110,000 roadster.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/03/26/tesla.new.sedan/index.html

While the Tesla would not become mainstream, what it means is that all-electric cars are viable and ready. It may still cost too much -- kind of like the $2000 VCRs in the 1970s, or the $10,000 personal computers -- but it signals the rollout of a new breed of commercial electric cars...

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Aww, I was hoping this thread was going to be about Tesla the dude. Or Tesla the band. Man.

MsK

Registered
Reaction score
Saw that on television. Nice looking car.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
With Toyota, etc. coming out with plug-in hybrids that can go 100 mpg, I think Tesla is going to have some serious challenge, especially at that price point. But I do think that this will prompt, hopefully, a race toward an affordable, usable electric car.

otterman

Word Voyeur
Registered
Reaction score
Top Gear (the hilarious British car show) took a look at the Tesla and ran it through some tests on their track. The batteries lost power much sooner than expected so there are lots of kinks still to work out, besides the ridiculous price. And, of course, there's still the problem that the electricity that powers this "green" car likely comes from a coal-burning or nuclear power plant. Honda has a new car with a hydrogen fuel cell and it looks a lot more practical and environmentally friendly. The cost is also expected to be much more reasonable (about the cost of an average gasoline powered car). If they can get enough hydrogen fuel depots out there, this will be the winner.