It's a boy... cat!

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I just want to share because I'm SO excited and happy! I (finally!) got a cat. After 9 years of renting and not being able to have one, I now have a house and a cat.

It also worked out that I got to bring my cat home on my birthday (Mar26). :D

Unfortunately, my cat is not happy right now.

Marlowe1.JPG

I don't think he cared for the car ride. Or the new people and new places and all the excitement. I was hoping I could spend time this evening petting him and playing with him. The last cat I brought home (almost 15 years ago) was friendly and playful, not freaked out.

Soon as he's done being afraid, I'm going to hug him and squeeze him and call him George Marlowe. (After my favorite detective, Phillip Marlowe.)

:D

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, he'll come around. I was so worried the first day I brought home my first cat. He hid under the TV and other cabinets a lot but he soon ventured out on his own.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
It won't take long for him to associate you with food, and then Marlowe will love you and purr on you and call you Clair. Cats are funny creatures, but oh--so worth it in the end! Congrats!

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Back when I was married we moved about 8 times. Every time the cats, who surprisingly knew us and each other fairly well, went to gorund for three days. Keep putting out food and put the litter box near where he's hiding. He'll be peeking over and around to watch you. Let him take his time. This is a huge HUGE change for him.

One cat hid for about an hour. Thenshe came out and ate everyone else's dinner, then inthe morning all their breakfasts, then at night their dinners. She fell asleep by bowl number 7. The rest turned up for the next breakfast, so she kept most of her figure.

And congrats to both of you. (If you get him a companion, I'd suggest a female. Males even fixed, some times, though not always have territory issues and it can get damp. Just saying now before you do it. It's really hard to not get a playmate for kitty. You needn't get as many as my ex did. One would be enough if you do it.)

Hugs.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
He is cute. His expression just screams "Oh my God, where am I and who are these people?" He will be fine. We adopted two cats a few years ago and it took a few days, but they acclimated quite well. One of them is curled up next to me right now. He is my writing buddy.

emc07

Foo Fighters Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ericachapman.com
Congrats Clair! He's a cutie and I love the name Marlowe...

He'll get used to everything. I have 3 kitties, and we move every couple years, every time they adjust just fine. Takes time is all. Now my husband, on the other hand, it takes him a little longer to adjust to a new environment.

Happy Late Birthday by the way :)

Tigercub

Registered
Reaction score
Awww. He's adorable. I once had a tabby and white who looked a lot like him.

He'll be okay. Cats are control freaks. They hate change. Just talk gently to him and feed him treats. Maybe some catnip will help. He'll come around.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, enjoy a long happy life together :)