It's hard when a loved one dies, even when it's expected...

Atani

Registered
Reaction score
In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country tow
My grandmother passed away yesterday evening... She was 94 & had been in a nursing home for about 12 years. Over the course of this time she steadily deteriorated due to dementia, but up until 2 weeks ago she was still able to recognize family members and carry on conversations fairly well.

Apparently her body just decided to give up, and she started having some kind of slow internal bleeding. No one wanted to put her through terrible tests and painful procedures in her frail condition, so hospice came in to make sure she wasn't in too much pain & give her extra special care, and we've all been to see her a lot these 2 weeks & said our goodbyes.

Still, when the call came to say she had gone in her sleep late yesterday evening, I couldn't help but break down. I went to see her, and she just looked so peaceful. She was always my favorite grandma... She lived next door my entire childhood, and I spend most of my time at her house. She taught me to cook and to garden... she always let me "help" in whatever she was doing, even though I must have been totally in the way. I have tons of wonderful memories to hold on to, but it's still hard to accept that she's really gone now.

Well, I just wanted to share that, cause you guys are always so nice :) Thanks for reading :)

Honalo

Registered
Reaction score
My sister spent mid-fall 2008 caring for her terminally ill mother-in-law, who passed quickly, within 3 weeks I'd say, of being diagnosed with lung cancer. She was 86.

It wasn't easy to say good-bye and never is but what struck me is that the woman was in the care of people who loved her, as was your grandmother. Saying good-bye is hard but you and your family supported one another and gave her comfort. And that's very important.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss :Hug2:

smoothseas

Life sucks... Then ya die...
Registered
Reaction score
yawn... in da land of the terminally bored.
I still miss my grandmother, too, though she’s been gone thirty years now. We, too, had a special bond. But I’m comforted that she’s still with me. Every day I feel her presence and council. She’d never made it past the sixth grade, but she was one of the wisest people I’ve known.

:Hug2: and know that she's now looking down on you. Talk to her. She's still there.

Atani

Registered
Reaction score
In the backwoods, literally...the tiny country tow
Thank you all so very much for your kind words. I know she will always be with me, and part of me. I'm very glad we were able to be here for her to provide what comfort we could in her last days. My cousin even visited her yesterday afternoon and gave her a massage (she's a massage therapist), and even though she was asleep it seemed to help her relax & breathe easier.

sadron

Writing Dark Fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear. *hugs* I don't have any grandmothers alive.

:cry:

Strength for you and you're in my thoughts.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Atani, it is so hard when someone you loved, and who loved you back, dies. Nothing can prepare you for what you feel afterwards. Nothing. And the grieving differs greatly from one person to another, from the death of one to the death of another.

Please, grieve openly if you wish. Cry in the supermarket. Cry into your pillow at night. Don't hold it in.

You will find some sort of comfort each day and you'll be amazed at that.

And we're here for you, too

:Hug2:

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
But think of the wonderful life she had! Grandchildren to be with and teach... loved ones near... and the things she witnessed! Can you imagine how she felt about all the wonders she saw during her lifetime? She's not gone... she's just over the horizon. We'll all catch up some day.

Hugs!