Submitting new novel via request

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
I have a question for ya. I've had a few agents request that I send them other works I have that aren't urban fantasy, so I've got a novel I'm nearly completed that's a dystopian type novel. How do I send it to those agents and let them know they specifically asked me to resubmit another genre? Do I copy their response into the email or just mention it?

Arquebus

Registered
Reaction score
Requested materials

Write "Requested materials" somewhere in the subject line, and then also mention it in the body of the email. If snail-mailing, make sure that's written on the outside.

spinspin

Registered
Reaction score
"Last April, you were kind enough to read the first three chapters of URBAN FANTASY TITLE,"

(translation: A reminder that you liked my query enough to request pages!)

"...Your reply was that you wished to see my next work outside of the urban fantasy genre. So I'm pleased to send you the first three chapters of NEW WORK..."

S.

Chanelley

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. So just gently remind them that they did ask, but don't copy their actual response in?

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Write "Requested materials" somewhere in the subject line, and then also mention it in the body of the email. If snail-mailing, make sure that's written on the outside.

I would not put requested material in the subject line. Requested material means that the agent is requesting a specific thing, such as a partial, a full, or a synopsis. In this case, the agent is saying please feel free to remind me that I like your writing but not your last book. That's it.

Putting in the phrase 'requested material' puts you at the top of the queue and that's not the case in this situation. Personally, someone putting 'requested material' would tick me off.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

MissKris

Is the random.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristindmiller.com
I would not put requested material in the subject line.

Putting in the phrase 'requested material' puts you at the top of the queue and that's not the case in this situation. Personally, someone putting 'requested material' would tick me off.

In my case I was told to do exactly that; that is, to put REQUESTED MATERIALS in the subject line if I sent it as an e-mail or write it on the outside of the envelope in the case of snail-mail. The only difference in this case is that it was a publisher that reqested additional (new) work, not an agent.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jclarkdawe
I would not put requested material in the subject line.

In my case I was told to do exactly that; that is, to put REQUESTED MATERIALS in the subject line if I sent it as an e-mail or write it on the outside of the envelope in the case of snail-mail. The only difference in this case is that it was a publisher that reqested additional (new) work, not an agent.
Specific request always trumps generic advice. But unless I was specifically told to do so, I'd still won't do it in this scenario.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe