Three Stooges Movie

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the Variety report.

Although I first gaped in horror at the headline, I am admitedly intriuged by the Farrelly brothers' script and the Sean Penn as Larry and Benecio del Toro as Moe (rumored) casting choices. Less interested in the Jim Carrey as Curly cast.

RichardB

THIS! IS!! VENNNNNICE!!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
No, it should've been a biopic! Steve Martin is brilliant, but his remake of Pink Panther is no good. There's nothing to be added to the sublime mastery of the physical comedy that is the original 3 stooges. A picture along the lines of Chaplin could be fantastic. The Howard brothers and Larry Fine were professionals who worked hard at their craft. I'd love to see a film capture how intelligent one has to be to play an idiot, how coordinated one must be to bumble convincingly.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
No, it should've been a biopic! Steve Martin is brilliant, but his remake of Pink Panther is no good. There's nothing to be added to the sublime mastery of the physical comedy that is the original 3 stooges. A picture along the lines of Chaplin could be fantastic. The Howard brothers and Larry Fine were professionals who worked hard at their craft. I'd love to see a film capture how intelligent one has to be to play an idiot, how coordinated one must be to bumble convincingly.

Hmm, a biopic; interesting point. I would be less hesitant about that. At least they chose to go with Curly instead of Shemp, right?

RichardB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Hmm, a biopic; interesting point. I would be less hesitant about that. At least they chose to go with Curly instead of Shemp, right?

I might have to disagree there :) I think Shemp is under-appreciated. In the triad including Shemp there is a current of "Shemp wants to be in charge but he loses to Moe." With Curly you get extra goofiness, but not that conflict.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I might have to disagree there :) I think Shemp is under-appreciated. In the triad including Shemp there is a current of "Shemp wants to be in charge but he loses to Moe." With Curly you get extra goofiness, but not that conflict.

Nothing against Shemp, which I admit my reply included a little animosity there. But I consider Curly the classic Stooges; seems fitting that we get some nyuck-nyucks in the film. Plus my dad always did the Curly impressions, so he's where my fondness for the Stooges lie ...

Last edited:

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hollywood has a theme song: "Everything old is new again."

Ghods, I'm so sick of the remakes. Little wonder I don't give them my money very often.

RichardB

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saintmarksbody.com
Nothing against Shemp, which I admit my reply included a little animosity there. But I consider Curly the classic Stooges; seems fitting that we get some nyuck-nyucks in the film. Plus my dad always did the Curly impressions, so he's where my fondness for the Stooges lie ...

Dad=Curly FTW. That's my job now for my little girl, nyuk-nyuk.

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Less interested in the Jim Carrey as Curly cast.
No. No. A THOUSAND TIMES no.

Jeez. Carrey is the one guy who could ruin a Stooges film by over-playing it. Curly wasn't psychopathic; he was just nutty. I don't think Carrey can do anything without making it disturbing or schizophrenic. He always reminds me of the class clown who just doesn't know when the joke has run its course. It's one thing to do the nyuck-nyuck-nyuck, but you've got to get the "Why soitenly!" right too.

For some reason, I have an image now of a Coen Brothers production -- a more laconic Stooges, maybe with Billy Bob Thornton as a slightly ominous, creepy Moe, and Moby as the mellower Curly. Larry David could be Larry.

Or maybe a Jim Jarmusz version, with Tom Waits as a sleazy Moe and Steve Buscemi as the kill-me-now Larry. Curly could be, oh, Mickey Rourke.

Last edited:

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Pretty sure there was a made-for-tv Three Stooges biopic made like ten years or so ago.

Yes, produced by Mel Gibson's production company. It was an great movie that showed just how abused the men were by the studios. Michael Chiklis did an amazing job portraying Curly, from a man eager to make people laugh to someone crippled by a stroke.

Ah, here it is. :)

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I remember watching the 3 Stooges on Sunday mornings with my father. One of my fondest memories. I am curious how they will do this, but I am also tired of all the remakes. Stooges is a classic, and I am not sure they should muck it up.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Del Toro and Penn were inspired choices, but Carrey as Curly? He'll need lots of makeup for that one... but given his comic timing and agility, he could probably pull it off.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Ghods, I'm so sick of the remakes. Little wonder I don't give them my money very often.

Is it a remake? My thought is that they're making a biopic here. I think they're going to start with them being kids -- and they're going to do the whole Benjamin Button thing with the actors. Would be interesting.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a remake? My thought is that they're making a biopic here. I think they're going to start with them being kids -- and they're going to do the whole Benjamin Button thing with the actors. Would be interesting.

Right, definitely not a biopic. And Carrey is going to gain 30+ pounds for the role.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yes, produced by Mel Gibson's production company. It was an great movie that showed just how abused the men were by the studios. Michael Chiklis did an amazing job portraying Curly, from a man eager to make people laugh to someone crippled by a stroke.

Ah, here it is. :)

One of those films I have always wanted to see (I adored Chaplin).

This movie is going to be a disaster and I will pretend it doesn't exist.

BMoon

Registered
Reaction score
Hollywood is counterproductive to a long life-span for me, I think.

I certainly hope this project dies on a vine. If you want to do some homage to the Three Stooges, why not start showing the classic 1-reelers before a feature film? Do that for a year and watch how your PR ratings stand, Mr. Bigshot Hollywood studio guys. You know that if this project is successful, it won't be long before we'll start seeing remakes of all the great early comedy teams' works -- Abbot and Costello, The Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges, etc.

The thing that amazed me more than anything about the Stooges was the fact that is was possible for someone to have a relatively lucrative entertainment career for 60+ years (vaudeville through the personal appearance days) doing basically nothing but getting slapped in the face. To think, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, et al, did it the hard way! Still, Larry had really phenomenal comedic timing, and lots of the lines he did get were so memorable.

MissLadyRae

I vaahnt to suck your blaahd
Registered
Reaction score
You know that if this project is successful, it won't be long before we'll start seeing remakes of all the great early comedy teams' works -- Abbot and Costello, The Marx Brothers, The Three Stooges, etc.

That's one of my biggest nightmares. I fear that's where they may be headed next. Just imagine a remake of The Marx Brothers. On second thought, maybe not. They tried it with the Little Rascals and that completely failed miserably. The suits don't understand the heart and soul of what made these shows and movies classics in the first place. Just toss some guys together and slap em around does not a Three Stooges movie make. It's the comedic timing as said above, the random moments, the great writing and the chemistry between the players. Plus it takes someone to actually care about the source material rather than seeing it as a quick buck to make off the fans. Hollywood just doesn't get that. They see it as source material that will shine gold once they add their own flair to it.

Mark my words. Hollywood will not stop until every single movie in the past has been remade. And you thought Plan 9 From Outer Space was bad now...

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I thought there had a already been a pseudo-Marx Brothers remake.

Ah, here it is.

As for Abbott and Costello, they're just a comedy team. I don't think a "remake" would work in general, not even from Hollywood's perspective. Though I guess Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein could be remade, in terms of the theme and story, with a new comedy team/pair.

Bush and Cheney Meet Frankenstein?

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
This is nothing short of sacrilege.

I cannot imagine any good coming out of this. Why mess with perfection?

.... They tried it with the Little Rascals and that completely failed miserably. The suits don't understand the heart and soul of what made these shows and movies classics in the first place. Just toss some guys together and slap em around does not a Three Stooges movie make...... Hollywood just doesn't get that. They see it as source material that will shine gold once they add their own flair to it.

This reminds me of the adage, "The bigger the lie, the more people will believe it"

In hollywood's case, "The worse the idea, the more suits can get behind it."

This idea is so horrendously bad, like developing a drive-through Cat Wash. Not car wash, CAT WASH. You put cats on a conveyor belt, they stream in, the gaint robotic terry cloth gauntlets go to work, it will be a gold mine, a gold mine I tell ya... Well make millions, MILLIONS!!!

For the love of all that is holy, this is such a bad idea that instead of me wanting to see it, this idea makes me want to spend money to stop the making of it. To go and protest, to picket. To take out ads against it.

Yes, you can make a movie about the Three Stooges. But should you??? Hellz No.

Mel...