When the author lies about his background

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I was at a seminar today, and this author was bragging about lying about his background. He was thinking of telling readers that he was 14 years old. He wanted to mark his next book "National Bestseller" when his book isn't really a bestseller. He decided to make up quotes and claim them to have been written by well respected agencies such as "New York Times". He decided to have his friends make multiple Amazon accounts to make positive reviews about his book.

He's implying that he's that freaking desperate to give his books attention. I don't know this dude's name or what book he has written. I told him I'm also an author and he has even suggested this to me.(Tell the readers you're 13.)

I want to ask if this is even possible. And I'm not going to do what he did.

dethnyte

Wild-Eyed Acolyte
Registered
Reaction score
Well, he's not going to get very far, unless he self-publishes, since agents are pretty stringent about wanting an honest relationship. Plus the legalities of lying about things will come around to bite him, I imagine, pretty darn quick. He's heading for heck in a hand basket and there won't be much to salvage his reputation once he's done this to himself.

I feel sorry for the guy. He's ruining his future as a writer (if he ever had one to begin with) and doesn't even know it. There are no short-cuts to success.

Just my two cent's worth.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
When the author lies about his background, it'll get out, probably sooner rather than later, and then the author will be waist high in shit.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
:editor's hat on:

It's been tried.

It doesn't work.

Editors and agents are on to this, and it is called fraud.

It's the fast track to effing up your writing career for life.

We all talk to each other, we cruise the boards, we hang in the bars, we share stories about this and that bit of idiocy that's crossed our desks.

All any writer has is his or her good name and reputation and this guy has fouled himself.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Okay.... What if you made over 100 accounts on Amazon and made 5 star reviews on your own book. Is that even allowed?

That guy sort of bragged about doing that too...

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I want his name.

OK, everyone exaggerates sometimes. Embellishment is inevitable especially when it comes to marketing and self-promotion, but outright lie about everything (including reviews and awards and stuff like that)? Not only is it unethical... it can be illegal, too. And he's doomed to fail.

BlueLucario

Blood Elves FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I want his name.

OK, everyone exaggerates sometimes. Embellishment is inevitable especially when it comes to marketing and self-promotion, but outright lie about everything (including reviews and awards and stuff like that)? Not only is it unethical... it can be illegal, too. And he's doomed to fail.
Illegal? O_O

He can go to jail for this stuff?

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Okay.... What if you made over 100 accounts on Amazon and made 5 star reviews on your own book. Is that even allowed?

That guy sort of bragged about doing that too...
The master at this is Robert Stanek. If you google "Robert Stanek" with "fraud," you'll get a bunch of illuminating hits.

Or take a look at this 2007 blog from David Louis Edelman, a fine SF/F writer and interesting blogger.

It wasn't just the 5 star Amazon reviews (Stanek has hundreds of them) He''s done a lot of other "self promotion"

And a lot of it worked. Many people were tricked into giving his books a try. To my everlasting shame, I was one of them, quite a few years ago. I was dumbfounded when I read the book (well, about 40 pages of it) because although I thought the glowing reviews might be a tad overenthusiastic, I didn't expect a book that was so bad as to be unreadable.

Only when I started poking around to explain this contradiction did I realize it wasn't just a matter of taste -- I'd actually been scammed. Mea culpa.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Illegal? O_O

He can go to jail for this stuff?

I thought that was blatantly obvious?

If you want to see what happens to a guy like this, google James Frey. And all HE did was add a few embellishments to a memoir. EMBELLISHMENTS....little tweaks here and there.

Outright, blatant, lying about everything you are? He's going to get crucified upside down for that.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I am dumbfounded that
1) this guy would think of doing this stuff
2) he would tell other people it's a good idea

If we struggle with this writing craft, if we get frustrated with rejections and harsh criticism, if we write for years without making it as a self-supporting writer, at the very least, we sure as hell better be able to stand tall with our integrity intact and knowing we're going after our dream with a strong sense of ethics. And we sure as hell better realize that outright fraud comes with severe consequences.

Anyone who is willing to trade honesty for a chance at success turns their car onto a one-way street that soon runs out of pavement.

And if it is a legit publisher, it's that publisher who decides what goes on the cover of the book, what goes on the jacket flaps, and what quotes are used in support of the book.

Last edited:

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I was at a seminar today,
Did you PAY for it? Or did this only "take your time," which is also valuable? I'm a little surprised no one has asked you this yet.
and this author was bragging about lying about his background.
If you paid (money as well as attention), it would be interesting to ask for your money back. If When he doesn't it would also be interesting to go to small claims court (I presume it was less than $5,000, $7,500 or whaever it is for small claims in your state) and tell the judge you paid money in good faith for a writing seminar in which you were basically told to lie to agents and publishers about your about your age and background.

Too bad they don't allow popcorn in court.

Prozyan

Are you one, Herbert?
Registered
Reaction score
If you want to see what happens to a guy like this, google James Frey. And all HE did was add a few embellishments to a memoir. EMBELLISHMENTS....little tweaks here and there.

To be fair, Frey went far, far beyond a few embellishments and minor details.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about your seminar with Junot Diaz? I know you saw him today. If so, are you sure you understood?

Oscar Wao got huge critical acclaim and awards and he hasn't made a whole lot of cash off of the book in copies sold. He has said previously that his career as an author hasn't included a new car, better apartment or quitting his day job. Are you sure he wasn't joking about getting sales instead of prizes and that "Pulitzer Winner" didn't increase his sales like "Bestseller" would?

He has an agent and a publisher. He's a pulitzer prize winner and well known for who he is. If he said something like what you claim it was just a joke.

Last edited:

Robert E. Keller

Likes heroic fantasy and hot coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Northern Michigan, pretty much in the woods
Website
www.robertekeller.net
I find that insulting to a writer like me who is trying to advance my hobby through hard work.There are enough con artists in this business (fee-charging agents come to mind) already. We don't need writers behaving like this. If he goes ahead with his scam, I hope he gets caught and pays the price.

Robert E. Keller
http://www.scrollsofatlantis.com/

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
Surely the first time he speaks on the phone to an agent, they'll realise his b**** dropped along time ago?

loiterer

Registered
Reaction score
Surely the first time he speaks on the phone to an agent, they'll realise his b**** dropped along time ago?

What was the name of that woman who pretended to be a teenage boy and wrote a fake memoir (or at least a fiction supposedly based on 'his' real life)? JT Leroy or something? She got away with it for a while. Look it up; it's quite bizarre, and yet sort of sad. I think she had real problems.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I thought that was blatantly obvious?

Outright, blatant, lying about everything you are? He's going to get crucified upside down for that.

What ever happened to Frey?

Status
Not open for further replies.