Inherited birth defect?

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I'm looking for a type of birth defect that would be inherited from a parent (in this case the father) which would cause the baby to die shortly after it was born (ie brain or organs grow outside of skull, something like that). I had been intending to use Trisomy 13 but I just realized it's not inherited. It would be nice if this was something that could be easily detected via ultrasound before birth.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, it would have to be a RECESSIVE disorder otherwise it would have killed THE FATHER. Meaning that it would have to be inherited from BOTH parents.

encephalocele or omphalocele (brain or organs not inside body) are caused by disorders of development, not genetic disorders, usually.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OR you may want something that occurs as a spontaneous mutation. Meaning that neither parent carries it, but a spontaneous mutation causes that particular sperm (or egg!) to have the bad gene. For that you could do osteogenesis imperfecta--some types of it are fatal early in life. Also very easy to see in an ultrasound: broken bones, curved bones, short bones, etc.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
What about genetic heart defects like a hole in the heart? Puma

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
That might work - if it wasn't severe in the dad, or maybe his family just has a history of it, and the child has it to a degree that cannot sustain life. Actually I can't believe I didn't think of that myself... I just met someone on Sunday whose kid has a rare heart condition which is normally fatal! :)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hmm, prader-willi syndrome is a spontaneous chromosomal deletion that's always inherited from the dad. usually doesn't kill a person, but it causes hypotonia and failure to thrive and decreased suckling reflex from birth, so it COULD if you wanted it to.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
a really tall dad could have marfan syndrome and pass it on to his kids--it can be mild or it can be severe, it can have early or late onset of life-threatening problems.