Wordpress to domain

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Say I have a domain. I want to get a Wordpress blog and transfer it to that domain. I've already found the link in the Wordpress page to do it, but I was wondering, what do I have to keep in mind when doing this? How good an idea is this? Has anyonelse done it and what are your experiences?

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Okay...you have a Wordpress blog. You want your own domain.

You get your domain name. You find a host for your new site and point the domain to it. You install Wordpress there. Then you log in to it transfer the data from the old blog. That's the Raiders' Digest Version. You will want to read up on all of it...

It is not a bad idea to have your own domain, if you want to promote your writings. It is more work to maintain your own site though. You will have to worry more about security, and back up your own database. But you can find cheap hosting that is adequate. I've never done a transfer in Wordpress, but it is easy to install, and you can't beat the price.

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Oh, well, actually, I'm doing this for a cousin, whose web site is atrocious and this seems like a good way to finally make her get rid of the mid-90s Geocities look and have her be able to update her webpage (the software hasn't worked ever since she switched to a Mac, so the page is a mess right now). I haven't found where in Wordpress I can download the software, or even any mention of it, though.

Deleted member 42

You need to be fairly comfortable with installing items on a server.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Main_Page

That means either FTPing WordPress files, and modifying the cofig file up to the server, and creating a database using MySQL which is likely already installed on the server, or, if the server host company uses Fantastico or CPanel, and supports WordPress, following their instructions for installing and configuring WordPress, then importing the entries, or re-mapping the domain.

It's not something to install on your aunt's PC in other words.