William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I’m relieved to see that I’m not the only one disappointed in the timeliness (or lack thereof) of the contest coordinators’ end in all this. I’ve resisted, as I’m sure the other contestants have, being vocal about this, but as I’ve spent my Saturday hitting refresh, I think I’ll share some thoughts.

The writers in the contest (if my personal experience is any indication) have committed themselves fully. We spend days, nights, lunch breaks writing so that we can have something we’re proud of ready by the deadline.

Similarly, the people who read and vote before the voting deadline commit themselves to the process.

As I see it, Jenna announces the theme and, not counting the thought she puts into that, it’s essentially 5 minutes to make the post. The writers then go off and invest days in creating a story from scratch and meet the deadline.

At some point after that (sometimes involving waiting), Jenna announces that the voting is open (again, a 5 minute post).

Once the voting is over, presumably the only time-intensive element is Melina pulling up her PM page and, since the votes are in the subject line, taking a pad of paper and making 5 columns (one for each contestant) and making marks in the appropriate column as she scans the message list.

With 100-130 votes, even at a mere one mark a minute, this is a two hour job, at most.

That, coupled with the fact that she can log onto any connected computer in the world and access this information, makes it a somewhat streamlined and not-too-difficult task.

Now, one could easily say, “Relax. No one’s making you hover over the computer like an idiot.”

Well, this is true. I’ll admit to a certain amount of ego and natural human curiosity, and I think that’s an understandable state of mind for someone in the midst of a two month long competition involving the writing of up to 9 original pieces.

In the case of this time (and last), timely announcement of results and the accompanying new theme can mean the difference between being able to devote part of my weekend to starting my new entry (if I advance) and struggling to be creative during the chaos of the work week.

Maybe that’s part of the lesson. That professional writing means jumping through hoops to meet editorial requirements, then being a patient little lamb while you await the fate of something you’ve sweated out of your soul. But I don’t find that a particularly necessary component of this contest.

Ultimately, yes I know, it’s just an Internet contest. But that doesn’t mean we have to treat it like one. That certainly doesn’t figure into how seriously I personally take each entry. I write to the best of my ability, as if I were applying for a fellowship or seeking publication.

And, as we muse about how we get more people engaged in voting, I wonder if momentum is not lost in these unnecessary ebbs and flows.

I want to end by saying that this is not a personal attack on Jenna or Melina, or anyone else. But when you volunteer to coordinate something like this, you make a social contract to live up to that responsibility.

The contestants, throughout the contest, have conducted themselves with utmost professionalism. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the same from the coordinators.

Last edited:

VOTE_BOT

Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
Registered
Reaction score
Calm down, Haskins. The sun doesn't rise and fall at the whim of your little Idol entry.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
now fellas--don't make me send you to separate corners...

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
I’m relieved to see that I’m not the only one disappointed in the timeliness (or lack thereof) of the contest coordinators’ end in all this. I’ve resisted, as I’m sure the other contestants have, being vocal about this, but as I’ve spent my Saturday hitting refresh, I think I’ll share some thoughts.
It's not just the contestants that are disappointed.

The sun might not rise and fall at the whim of his little idol entry, but he has a point. The contestants post their entries by the deadline or they're disqualified, the voters must read all of the entries and vote by a deadline for their vote to count, and then there's dead silence, and it's not the first time. It does give the impression that the contest isn't being taken all that seriously, not to mention that it's very unfair to the contestants in particular.

I don't know why the results haven't been posted yet - perhaps it's because of BEA, perhaps Melina can't sign on, perhaps there's some other reason, and hopefully everyone is all right. What would be nice is if someone, anyone, in the know, could post an estimated time when something unforeseen happens. I think part of the problem is that we have no idea when the results will be posted.

I also agree that the results should be postable within an hour of the voting deadline, two tops, and that a results deadline should be in place for the next contest, if there is one.

jdkiggins

Troubled-Talks with animals.
Registered
Reaction score
The "Dead Zone" in PA. (The state.) All lit up and
Website
home.comcast.net
And, as we muse about how we get more people engaged in voting, I wonder if momentum is not lost in these unnecessary ebbs and flows.
I expressed the same feeling, though, not so eloquently, at dinner this evening.

I'd quote your whole post and agree with the entire diary, but quoting entire posts is annoying.

Here! Here! William.

If the next theme is disgruntled, you've got a winner here!

#2 on William's disgruntled contestant list.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Excuse me, but I don't recall a rule in the contest that says votes will be tallied and posted within 12 hours (or 24 or whatever).

Melina is a volunteer. Give her a break.

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
Excuse me, but I don't recall a rule in the contest that says votes will be tallied and posted within 12 hours (or 24 or whatever).
An unfortunate omission.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
you're absolutely right, ray.

but then, to me, there shouldn't be a doubt that the administrative end would, in good faith, keep the contest running smoothly for the benefit of the contestants, the audience and the reputation of the site.

jenna knows when the deadline is for posting. there's no reason that she, or someone on her behalf, shouldn't be on-hand to open the voting immediately.

melina knows, days in advance, when the voting will close. even the precise hour. there should be some preparation for that, even if it's a thread called "about vote tallying" wherein she says, "i see that voting ends at 10 friday night. just want to let you all know that i work till midnight pacific, and i have to get up saturday and take my dog to the vet, etc so i won't be posting till saturday night, or sunday"... or whatever.

Last edited:

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
brinkett said:
What would be nice is if someone, anyone, in the know, could post an estimated time when something unforeseen happens. I think part of the problem is that we have no idea when the results will be posted.

Yeah, this would help.

BlueTexas

Back from self-exile land.
Registered
Reaction score
William Haskins said:
you're absolutely right, ray.

but then, to me, there shouldn't be a doubt that the administrative end would, in good faith, keep the contest running smoothly for the benefit of the contestants, the audience and the reputation of the site.

jenna knows when the deadline is for posting. there's no reason that she, or someone on her behalf, should be on-hand to open the voting immediately.

melina knows, days in advance, when the voting will close. even the precise hour. there should be some preparation for that, even if it's a thread called "about vote tallying" wherein she says, "i see that voting ends at 10 friday night. just want to let you all know that i work till midnight pacific, and i have to get up saturday and take my dog to the vet, etc so i won't be posting till saturday night, or sunday"... or whatever.

I think that would be a very reasonable thing to do.

The longer the delay in posting the results means the longer the remaining contestants have to wait to hear the new theme, and William has a great point about weekends.

And he's right about the writers and the voters having a deadline. Vote-posting should also have one. Perhaps it should be specified in the rules of the next contest.

That said, thanks Melina for volunteering to count the votes :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The problem is, many of us, even the mods, don't know. It's not like we have meetings every day to talk about the AW business. There's no committee.

All I know is, Jenna's at BEA. Melina had computer problems and she probably still does. And I'm sure they are not doing this to deliberately torture us.

But yes, if Melina has continuing tech problems, perhaps someone can take her place.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I hadn't thought of that...what if they ARE doing this to deliberately torture us?

...what if Jenna and Melina are watching all this, without signing in, so they look like "guests" and they're IMing each other on yahoo or MSN and laughing and pointing....

...where'd I leave my little tinfoil beanie? Has anyone seen it?

firehorse

Living the Dream
Registered
Reaction score
brinkett said:
It does give the impression that the contest isn't being taken all that seriously
William Haskins said:
Maybe that’s part of the lesson. That professional writing means jumping through hoops to meet editorial requirements, then being a patient little lamb while you await the fate of something you’ve sweated out of your soul.
That's how I'm trying to take this. Otherwise, I'd feel like Jenna had lost interest in the contest, and that would upset me.

I was disillusioned when Pepperlandgirl was voted out; I was very sad when Zach dropped out - IMO, these were two of the strongest writers in the contest. But there are still five (soon to be four) of us left, and it would be nice to know that even if we weren't odds-on favourites, our efforts are still being taken seriously.

William Haskins said:
Ultimately, yes I know, it’s just an Internet contest. But that doesn’t mean we have to treat it like one. That certainly doesn’t figure into how seriously I personally take each entry. I write to the best of my ability, as if I were applying for a fellowship or seeking publication.
Ditto.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can any of the mods step in and contact Melina? Jenna doesn't know what's going on if she's away.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
MacAllister said:
I hadn't thought of that...what if they ARE doing this to deliberately torture us?

...what if Jenna and Melina are watching all this, without signing in, so they look like "guests" and they're IMing each other on yahoo or MSN and laughing and pointing....

...where'd I leave my little tinfoil beanie? Has anyone seen it?

Go write something, Mac. ;)

brinkett

Elder Scrolls devotee
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
All I know is, Jenna's at BEA. Melina had computer problems and she probably still does. And I'm sure they are not doing this to deliberately torture us.
I'm sure they aren't (I lost my tin foil cap years ago), but it's clear that someone dropped the ball. As William said, the deadlines are known well in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.