Play Festival Fundraising Idea?

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love fundraising for causes. The 24-hour play festival I just took part in was for a local theatre group that charges pay-what-you-can. They are an exceptionally talented group and I was honored to be involved in the highly creative campaign.

I'm always thinking of creative ways to fundraise. I do novel writing marathons and poetry marathons, etc.

I have an idea for a playwriting marathon to raise funds for a food bank and I thought I'd run it by the playwrights to see what they thought?

-I thought I'd approach a local grocery store and see if they would be willing to give me their store for an evening for a charitable event.

-I would get a playwright for each aisle of the store to volunteer to write a 10 or 5 minute play that takes place in the aisle they are assigned to.

-I would get actors and directors to volunteer their time. They'd have a little while to rehearse and then they'd perform to a live audience that moves down the row and watches as each aisle's play is performed.

-audience would pay to get in with cash and/or food donations.

I know it sounds like a logistical nightmare, but I'm an event organizer...been doing it for years, so this doesn't sound very daunting to me.

What do you think of the concept? Would you participate if a crazy person in your area asked you to?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Offhand, that seems like a lot to ask of a grocery store. But . . . maybe a store would do it. One of the large grocery stores in my area used to have singles nights. The Ground Beef Toss was a big hit . . . it was probably later sold to unsuspecting customers.

Here's another idea. Stage a mystery play in one corner of the store (there's usually one part of a store that's not very busy). Maybe call it Murder in Aisle 10. Have an intermission before Act III, whether the store announces some specials. Ask for a "canned goods" admisssion to see the end of the play. Something like that anyway. Just an idea. Or have a series of short plays that somehow relates to items in various aisles. Have people go and find the "mystery item", if they can. They bring the items back as donations. Whoever donates the correct items wins some kind of prize (donated by the store).

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks for the ideas, Alley! It's still in the idea stage, so this is very helpful. I guess when you're bringing something like this to somebody it would be best to look for ways that it would benefit them. I know I could get a lot of publicity for such an event, but other ways to help benefit them would be even better. Thank you.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas, Alley! It's still in the idea stage, so this is very helpful. I guess when you're bringing something like this to somebody it would be best to look for ways that it would benefit them. I know I could get a lot of publicity for such an event, but other ways to help benefit them would be even better. Thank you.
If you could get them any kind of free advertising (especially TV), they would probably jump at the chance.

You could do the singles night or "romantic night" at the grocery (maybe on a Friday night). Charge a canned goods donation to participate. Have fun and games. Play "Let's hide the salami!" ;-)

Romance in Aisle 10!

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I think I will leave romance to the romantics for now. (-;

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
The original idea sounds nice. Would the audience get to see the entire play in one aisle before moving to the next? I always liked the idea of a murder mystery and I'd be very happy if I ever wrote a half decent one in any format. (They are usually great for fundraisers.) If you can't get a store to agree to your first plan, try a murder mystery and set it somewhere else. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Thanks, Stijn. I actually have a circle of real life friends involved now and we are moving away from the grocery store idea...feasibility issues. One of them is actually championing a murder mystery as the way to go. We are still in the opening stages of planning (obviously, since my original idea hit me less than a week ago)...so we are really focusing on venue ideas. I'll mark you down for another murder mystery vote. Thanks!

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Too bad I'm not likely anywhere near your area when it is supposed to be performed. I'd love to be involved, if not in production, I'd happily be an audience member.

I once participated in a murder mystery weekend. You get locked up in a hotel with a bunch of actors who play out the mystery among the guests. It got even to the point of a character accusing me of breaking into their room and another player accusing me of being the murderer :) Murder mysteries are entirely my thing, so if you have a venue locked and want to, feel free to pick my brain for some ideas. :)

Unfortunately, the killer had me fooled even though I was first in the bugged room and second to arrive at the scene of a murder in the hallway. I thought they fled the crimescene through the basement when in fact they stuck around to look innocent :(

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
KTC, you and your fund-raising friends might be smart to consider venues which are public spaces, especially any which offer cover in case of rain. IIRC, Toronto at least began a terminal for the fast ferry from Rochester, New York, which, if completed, is standing vacant.

Another option might be an empty commercial building (surely you've got failed stores, like we do) which could be rented cheaply or its space donated if you all agree to clean up afterward. Circuit City has lots of floor space, right?

I was touring a museum in California with extensive grounds when a dance troupe performed there. It was pretty interesting, their choice of venue, and later I learned the venue donates its space frequently, giving museum visitors a freebie and getting more paid admissions from people who want to see the performance.

Maryn, who thinks this is cool