OMG this is terrible! Thousands of vets at Miami VA center at risk of HIV infections

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
That is so wrong. I hope they find the people responsible for such reckless decisions and hold them to it so that this does not happen in the future.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad they caught it while its still at the "low" risk and can fix it before it got to the "high" risk.

I'm less glad that it happened at all...but, mistakes happen sometimes.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
VA hospitals are horrible. I know they're the only or best alternative for especially the elderly, but they're HORRIBLE!

My great unlce was a WWII vet who used the local VA here for medical procedures. When it was surgery, the hall would fill before the first slot and those men literally had to run (as well as they were able) for a space because they overbooked the OR's and it was first come first serve. My uncle had one leg and was well into "elderly" territory, and there were others there worse off than him.

I saw a doctor barking instructions at one patient's wife because they screwed up and couldn't do the man's procedure until the next day. The patient had already gone without food for the procedure, they wouldn't keep him over night, and he still had to fast. The man's wife was terrified and in tears by the time he was done.

They're horrible.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Now is a good time to bring back crucifixion, methinks. I say we get some boards and some nails and we hang up some doctors and nurses for this shit. This is beyond reprehensible.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
Hate to say it, this isn't new. There have been other procedural screw ups at the VA which could and have in the end cost lives.

The VA is not however for "the elderly". It is for Veterans. Young as well as old walk those halls and not all VA hospitals are created equal. I spent yesterday at the VA and the experience was miles apart from my fiance's prior experience.

I agree this is inexcusable. Under staffed and under funded, sometimes uncaring and indifferent people, has created a potential for disaster.

If you really want to keep up with news concerning Vets and the VA take a look at VAwatchdog.org.

The VA has really been taking a beating in the press. But, is it deserved? Only some of it.

There's good and bad here.

BAD -- there should never have been a situation of unsanitary colonoscopy equipment at Miami. Some heads may roll on that.

GOOD -- as news has trickled out we've learned that the VA was the one who released this information in an expeditious manner.

GOOD -- because going back over my VA press releases, I found that they had implemented a program to try to weed out problems of this nature.

Yesterday I wrote a "what did VA know and when did they know it?"-type piece asking the question: Did VA, after the first colonoscopy problems at Murfreesboro, do something about it? Check their equipment and procedures, perhaps?

http://www.vawatchdog.org/09/nf09/nfmar09/nf032509-6.htm

Last edited:

LaceWing

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Having followed a link from the OP link, it's worth noting that:

The discovery of the improper cleanings is the result of a national program to standardize medical procedures across VA hospitals

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/southflorida/story/964589.html

Horrible as it is, I'm glad to know that such efforts are being made.

I didn't see whether the equipment manufacturers had, perhaps, clearly labeled anything as requiring disinfection. Seems like it would be a good idea to do so.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that link LaceWing, I am glad it was discovered too, how many more 'discoveries await us? *sigh*

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Having followed a link from the OP link, it's worth noting that:

Horrible as it is, I'm glad to know that such efforts are being made.

I didn't see whether the equipment manufacturers had, perhaps, clearly labeled anything as requiring disinfection. Seems like it would be a good idea to do so.

Anything that touches the human body or human fluids should be disinfected, period. What labels would you need?

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hRfzwTuaKGyWdjqvjGCLJpLI6AlAD976190O1

"CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) — Thousands of military veterans across the South are waiting to find out if they were exposed to infectious diseases by government clinics that performed colonoscopies and other procedures with equipment that wasn't properly sterilized.

Veterans Affairs spokeswoman Katie Roberts said officials are working to determine if mistakes that may have exposed patients to infections at medical centers in Tennessee and Florida and a clinic in Georgia could have also happened at other VA facilities."

It is so terrible, I feel so badly for these people and their now at risk families. This should never have happened. Why wouldn't they sterilize tubing properly and flirt with unneccessary risks like this? It just doesn't make any sense...

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
I won't say categorically VA hospitals are awful. I've been to Cheyenne, Wyo., VA hospital, and the folks working there were kind, caring, and they provided great service. That aside, my mind is so boggled by this happening I don't know what to say ....