PDA

View Full Version : My Fave Rejection Story

laurenbarnholdt
06-04-2005, 10:27 PM
I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks ago from an agent that said:

Dear Lauren,

Thank you allowing us to review your work. While there were parts of your novel that I liked, I'm afraid I cannot muster up the enthusiasm to offer reprsentation at this time.

Best,
Agent Who Will Not Be Named

The really funny part is that two months ago, I signed with another agent, and two weeks after that, I sold the novel to Simon and Schuster. Just shows that this really is a totally subjective business, and you can't let rejection letters stop you!

CACTUSWENDY
06-04-2005, 10:30 PM
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: "five banana award" to you. Congrats....and that's nice to know. Thanks for sharing this.:popcorn:

SnowOwl
06-04-2005, 10:51 PM
Hey Lauren!

I've seen you and your feisty agent over at LiveJournal (my handle is the same). Your publishing story is a real inspiration, and your novel sounds awesome. I really appreciate you sharing it with us!

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/emoteTheWave.gif

blacbird
06-05-2005, 01:51 AM
Lauren,

First, congrats on the success. Second, that rejection is a standard form No thanks. I've seen several with the exact wording.

bird

laurenbarnholdt
06-05-2005, 04:06 AM
Oh, I know. I've gotten a TON like that.. ha.. But it just goes to show that you can't give up...

tcv
06-05-2005, 04:09 AM
Anyone got any funny rejections?

I once received one that said, in part:

At first I felt that your novel would work well within our new Bathroom Reader line, but when as I was testing this, I realized that I was out of paper. Needless to say your story came to good use. We do not need another copy at this time.

clara bow
06-05-2005, 06:06 AM
Anyone got any funny rejections?

I once received one that said, in part:

At first I felt that your novel would work well within our new Bathroom Reader line, but when as I was testing this, I realized that I was out of paper. Needless to say your story came to good use. We do not need another copy at this time.

whoaaaa...are your serious? That one's a keeper!

Congratulations, Lauren! Keep us posted on your success.

tcv
06-05-2005, 07:07 AM
No, sorry. I was kidding.

Jamesaritchie
06-05-2005, 07:34 PM
I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks ago from an agent that said:

Dear Lauren,

Thank you allowing us to review your work. While there were parts of your novel that I liked, I'm afraid I cannot muster up the enthusiasm to offer reprsentation at this time.

Best,
Agent Who Will Not Be Named

The really funny part is that two months ago, I signed with another agent, and two weeks after that, I sold the novel to Simon and Schuster. Just shows that this really is a totally subjective business, and you can't let rejection letters stop you!

Actually, I'd say it shows only that some agents make mistakes. It really isn't a subjective business. It's just that no one, agent, editor, or publisher, gets it right every time.

But big congrats. S&S is one of the best publishers out there.

Sailor Kenshin
06-09-2005, 12:34 AM
Congrats, Lauren! (And nanner, nanner to the agent).

Greenwolf103
06-18-2005, 09:56 PM
Lauren, congrats on the big sale! That is great news. Makes that rejection a distant memory now, doesn't it?

There's nowhere to go now except UP!