PDA

View Full Version : Is this right?

Write4U2
03-24-2009, 10:33 PM
I've researched titles, but it's confusing. Calling all Brits! Have I named this woman and her titles correctly?

For a week after the airport’s initial press conference, news reporters delved into the lives of the Hamiltons. John Hamilton was a prominent New York attorney, a descendent of Alexander Hamilton, the solitary delegate from New York to sign the U.S. Constitution.

His wife, Lady Brandley, Elizabeth Hayles-Townsend, was the daughter of Townsend Brandley, Earl of Circencester,

making them fair media game.

Your help is appreciated. Mucho thankos.

Momento Mori
03-25-2009, 01:20 AM
The Times does a brief run-down of titles here (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/tools_and_services/specials/style_guide/article986750.ece).

Reading it, I think that the wife would be Lady Brandley and then Lady Elizabeth, but I'm not sure whether the fact that she's married a 'commoner' makes a difference to the title (i.e. whether she would forfeit it on marriage) as this isn't really my field.

MM

jvc
03-25-2009, 01:52 AM
I think, and this would need checking as it's been a while. She would take her husbands surname, and not keep her own, even though she is a daughter of an earl. So, she would then be called on first mention, Lady Elizabeth Hamilton. Then afterwards drop the surname and be called Lady Elizabeth.