Is this right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Write4U2

Registered
Reaction score
Website
it-is-written4u.spaces.live.com
I've researched titles, but it's confusing. Calling all Brits! Have I named this woman and her titles correctly?

For a week after the airport’s initial press conference, news reporters delved into the lives of the Hamiltons. John Hamilton was a prominent New York attorney, a descendent of Alexander Hamilton, the solitary delegate from New York to sign the U.S. Constitution.

His wife, Lady Brandley, Elizabeth Hayles-Townsend, was the daughter of Townsend Brandley, Earl of Circencester,

making them fair media game.

Your help is appreciated. Mucho thankos.

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
The Times does a brief run-down of titles here.

Reading it, I think that the wife would be Lady Brandley and then Lady Elizabeth, but I'm not sure whether the fact that she's married a 'commoner' makes a difference to the title (i.e. whether she would forfeit it on marriage) as this isn't really my field.

MM

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I think, and this would need checking as it's been a while. She would take her husbands surname, and not keep her own, even though she is a daughter of an earl. So, she would then be called on first mention, Lady Elizabeth Hamilton. Then afterwards drop the surname and be called Lady Elizabeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.