News Flash! This business is HARD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elladog

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that nothing I am about to say hasn't been said before, but as I lick my wounds please bear with me as I whine a bit.

I just got a pleasant rejection of my last full out there. Unfortunately, the feedback I've gotten from partials or fulls hasn't been overly helpful as they all seem to either be contradicting one another or are the vague "just didn't grab me" type reason, so I am preparing to put this story away for good, and feeling crappy. I know I'm never going to win a Pulitzer, but like everyone else I really do believe that my story is better than a lot of stuff out there and I am in the feeling-sorry-for-myself stage of wondering how those jerks got so lucky when mine isn't good enough.

And I can't seem to get started on my next real project. I'm not the "just write" type when it comes to novels. I can do it (and am doing it) with short stories and writing exercises, but for a novel I really need at least the basic plot mapped out. I have a half dozen ideas in varying stages of infancy and toddlerhood, but can't seem to get any of the plots hammered out and I am just plain stuck. Part of me wants to blame my mental deficiency on the fact that I'm 5 months pregnant and baby-brain has set in, but then the rest of me panics and thinks if I can't do it now, how will I be able to do it when I have a new baby to go along with the toddler, the job, the housework, and the rest of the list of excuses I have?

Could someone please have a couple of drinks on behalf of my sorry, pregnant self? I like sangria for self-pity but I'm not picky - I'll take whatever you've got.

Thanks!

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
:(

Since you can't have booze, here's a cake :Cake:

I'll neck some whisky tonight for ya. ;)

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I'd recommend popping over to the Beta Readers section and asking if anyone would be interested in bouncing ideas with you. It's why I work with a co-author. I'm also a "plotter" and need someone to walk me through the plot from beginning to end to come up with all the "whys" and "hows" of each plot.

Just a thought. :)

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Take a break. I'll drink the booze.

I put away a novel and lately I've had ideas for changing it. It's been 5 months since I looked at it.

Ideas come at the strangest times so don't worry. It'll come.

We have a saying over in the Purgatory thread, we are allowed to write utter poo.

You have a lot on your plate. Don't be so hard on yourself. I agree with Cathy C. See what the betas think.:Hug2:

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I can totally sympathize. When I was about 6 months pregnant with my first son, an agent asked for a full on a mystery I'd written. She then asked for revisions and wondered why it took me a while to work on them...new baby didn't seem like a good excuse to her...

I ended up rushing and sending her something not nearly good enough, which she passed on. I was crushed at the time, but now I am SO thankful she did. It wasn't a good enough book, and not really what I wanted to be writing.

It was really hard to find time to write at first, but that's more because I was in a bad marriage than because I had a new baby. On the other hand, after a few years of reading to my kid, I realized my real love is children's literature, and every day has been an inspiration. (Getting divorced also helped.) Now my kids are older, and they are my sounding boards for ideas. I've learned so much about sibling relationships and about boys and about dragons and video games and...

It can seem really frustrating at first, trying to fit in writing around a child's schedule. But as you find your balance with it, you may discover all kinds of new understandings that will make your writing richer and better. Plus, once you've spent the night in an emergency room with a crying 3-month-old baby, rejection letters just don't seem all that scary.

Hang in there and enjoy every moment of your new arrival. Baby brain does pass, and the writing never goes away.

Greenwolf103

I'm a grrrl dog, yo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dmcwriter.tripod.com
Uh-oh. These are preggo hormones talking. Do not listen!

It's okay if you can't write at the mo, but don't give up. You may feel differently about your writing and your chances for publication later on. Hang in there. I'm sorry for the rejection. It's really hard to deal with, especially when you're that far into your pregnancy, but please try to be strong and keep up with your writing.

And sometimes there are just stories that you can't move heaven or earth to fix right now, but will manage to get whipped into shape somehow or another later on. Don't worry. :)

trickywoo

Registered
Reaction score
Have some ice-cream. :)

I have a 3 week old, so just went through the rejection roller coaster while pregnant. Quite the ride.

For now, I'm holding off on my WIP - I just don't have the mental energy or time to put into it. Besides, I think it was Madeline L'engle who said she never could write while pregnant. Making a person is enough creativity, eh?

No rush. You'll come back to your writing fresh and be able to have enjoyed your pregnancy and newborn.

Norligh

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm 10 weeks pregnant and all I want to do is sleep but I also want to write my newest book, and sumbit queries for the one I have finished. I am SO tired though, all the time! Currently I have one partial and one full out, and have received rejections on a few partials. I know how you feel. Sometimes I get frustrated, especially when I skim through a piece-o'-crap book at Borders and seethe with jealousy- how did this plotless junk get published when all I keep getting is rejections? Then I realize it's just the *very tired* green-eyed monster rearing its ugly head.

*sigh* And I can't drown my sorrows in a glass of red wine either!

In all seriousness though, allow yourself some rest. You will get accepted when the time is right. You're building a HUMAN BEING in there! I like to think, "I'm so creative I'm making a person."

Keep in mind the economy is causing agents to cut back on what they accept. I truly feel that two years ago I would have been accepted already (or maybe that is wishful thinking to pull me through.)

Lastly, I practice divination, so I channel spirits and communicate with them. It's all energy, and yeah- even though I have a "gift" it can still freak me out. Last night I swear I got a message from my unborn child, which was the last thing I expected. She told me not to query the book I'm writing until after she's born... I'm stressing her out enough right now! So keep that in mind... any stress you feel, your baby does too!

Don't worry, be happy! And congratulations!

Branwyn

Print release:Sept.1,'09
Registered
Reaction score
Ya know, these hormones are a pain in the a$$. No matter what age, it sucks. And my dear friend told me, wait until you reach menopause. You'll feel like this everyday. Something to look forward to. YIKES.

Status
Not open for further replies.