The All New, Ever-Loving & Everlasting Birthday Thread

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
How does that sound for a thread title? Pretty snazzy, eh?

Jen and I have been discussing combining all of the birthday wishes folks would like to share inside of a single thread. The title would change daily to include the names of those whose birthdays members would like to celebrate. You could drop a note inside of the thread or send a PM, and the members' names would be included in the title. For example, today it might read, Happy Birthday WayneK, Silver King, Maryn and Rolling Thunder! (That's a trick title, and only one of those members is really one year older today.)

The main reason for the change is so that we can free up more room on the opening pages of Office Party. Sometimes we have several birthday threads going on at once, which is nice but seems to knock other discussions down the line that are also vying for exposure. And the Ever-Loving & Everlasting Birthday Thread would be one giant party that would never end.

So what do you think? Is it worth trying for a while? Do you have other ideas you'd like to share? Should I go to a taxidermist instead and have myself mounted to the AW Wall of Shame for even proposing such a radical change?

Please speak to me, oh wise and wonderful members who agree with my proposal. All others, zip it up! :D

(Seriously, lay it on me. I'd love to hear from you.) :)

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
it's worth a shot, dino.
but there's going to be hell to pay if my bday rolls around and my name isn't up there in lights!

:D

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
what book (or movie?) was it where the family celebrated all the kids' birthdays on one day during the year? for much the same reason suggested here. in the story, it sure diminished the specialness of that day for the child.
as it would here, IMO.
but I'll come for cake regardless.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Good idea, I like it.

So I can just say, 'Happy B-Day, all', right now and that covers everyone I accidentally miss in the future?

I nominate Rob as the official thread piñata.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. Is it going to be a thread that moves or a sticky so it always stays right at the top of the page?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
good idea, SK and Jen!
There are one or two members here who are especially good at starting birthday threads and coming up with lively and rhythmical wishes. So maybe their assistance might be used in constructing this new thread?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about a single "This is deplorable" / "Let's be self-righteous" / "I can't believe this" thread as well? No, I'm not being completely silly. Every day there is some little news item that seems to rankle a lot of people; sometimes it's something serious, sometimes it's trivial. With one thread people could still post the offending news item(s) and have at it.

Just a thought.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How about a single "This is deplorable" / "Let's be self-righteous" / "I can't believe this" thread as well? No, I'm not being completely silly. Every day there is some little news item that seems to rankle a lot of people; sometimes it's something serious, sometimes it's trivial. With one thread people could still post the offending news item(s) and have at it.

Just a thought.

There's always William's House of Hate in TIO

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's always William's House of Hate in TIO
Or combine William's House of Hate with Ray's House of Love and have world peace, tolerance, and free love!

Or at least a good plot for a suspense novel . . .

;-)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or combine William's House of Hate with Ray's House of Love and have world peace, tolerance, and free love!

;-)

Or a massive group pummeling

Jo

Travelling the re-write road
Registered
Reaction score
As someone who's started a birthday thread or two in my time here, I'm for this proposal. I like the idea of changing the thread as we go, although I wonder when (in world time) the change would take place. (Sometimes, threads can be early for Americans, but late for Kiwis and Aussies.)