Songs about our vices

Samantha's_Song

At least I don't need backing-up
Registered
Reaction score
Nope, it's not that kind of a posting, this is only about music! :tongue I thought this could actually go into the music forum, but decided this might be a better place for it.

Anyway, whilst we were out in the car the other evening, the old mid 1970's song, Smoking in the boys room by Brownsville station, came onto our CD player. I turned to my hubby and said, 'I bet they wouldn't be allowed to play this on the radio these days, meaning as our nanny state classes us smokers as mass murderers'.
So it got me to thinking that I'd make an MP3 CD all about the vices we enjoy so much. Sex. Smoking. Drink and Drugs. There's songs about all of them: Flesh for fantasy by Billy Idol would be good for the sex part. Smoking in the boys room, and Neil Diamond's, If you know what I mean, as he sings 'Took a drag from my last cigarette' in it. That last one and Red, red wine, by Neil Diamond too, for the drink. And then there's The Verve's The drugs don't work and The Moody Blues Legend of a mind for the drugs.

I can think of many more, but I want to know what others songs you AWers can come up with on these vices? :D

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
See below. It would be a shame to derail on the 2nd post.

Last edited:

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
Miracles - Jefferson Starship

And Tonight's The Night - Rod Stewart

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much for being the only one to contribute to this, Magdalen :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
How about the song "Sex and drugs and rock and roll" "Looking better every beer"

Not sexuality, but sensuality has disappeared from music, hell from everywhere.

And as far as smoking, it's the same as drinking and overeating and whatever, people will spew hate. We all have something that they'll end up knocking at our doors for eventually.

When they banned smoking on the metro north train there were people whose lives were so interesting that they stood on the platform on a saturday afternoon to applaud for the cameras. I said it would happen and it did. They banned drinking quoting the same safety reasons, and these people flipped out.

I had the decency to not stand there and applaud, though the only reason it happened to them was because they let it happen to me. Maybe it was wrong and maybe I'm a bad person, but I got a kick out of it.

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, see, I'm old enough to remember when most of the music was about love and its emotions and not just about the sex. Slow hand - The Pointer sisters. Stay with me - Blue mink. Move over darling - Doris Day. All sexy in their own way, but not about the sex act on it's own.
For real romance, especially when I'm writing, I listen to Françoise Hardy, Tom Jones, Engelbert Humperdink, and any old love songs from the 1960's and 1970's :)

How about the song "Sex and drugs and rock and roll" "Looking better every beer"

Not sexuality, but sensuality has disappeared from music, hell from everywhere.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer- George Thorogood.
I Drink Alone- also George
in fact, I think most of his songs are about drinking.

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Because I got High- Afroman (although this one is more of a parody against the vice)
Smoke Two Joints- Bob Marley originally, then Sublime covered it

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Feel Good Hit of the Summer by Queens of the Summer sums up a few. "Nicotine, valium, vicodin, marijuana, ecstasy and alcohol"... Only one of those is a vice of mine but the song is still shout-along in an "I should know better" kind of way!

Samantha's_Song

Registered
Reaction score
:roll:I don't do drink and drugs anymore, haven't done so since I reached thirty, so I guess that only leaves me the two vices now... and I'm certainly not giving those two up! :D

Do you think loving music too much, and forever writing, are vices too?