Reading in Carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

beata_mishi

Question for a fantasy story. Assuming Roman Empire-quality roads, and carriages of no more sophistication than 1700 at the latest, would it be possible for someone to read a book in a carriage travelling at a moderate pace? How about reading out loud? Thanks for any info!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never tried to read in a carriage, but I've ridden in them several times at various places that re-enact historical periods for the entertainment and education of modern people. Even carriages with springs (were they around by the 1700s?) jolt and bounce on all but the newest asphalt-paved roads. On brick (which heaves in winter), cobblestone, gravel, or packed dirt, I wouldn't think a person could read.

Depending on who's in the carriage and why you'd like them to read, might reciting work?

Maryn

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an expert on either the Roman Empire or carriages, but common sense suggests that it would be extremely difficult to read more than a few words with all that jolting & bumping going on. And, depending on the type of carriage, would there even be enough light by which to read a book?

One would have to have a damn good reason -- emergency of some sort -- to attempt to read a book under those circumstances, I would think.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
There is a high degree of probablity that the reader would become motion sick because of the conflicting sensation of movement of the carriage and the need to look at a stationary page to read.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Consider, too, the probability that the text (assuming typesetting) would not be as regular as modern readers are used to, and that the size of the text would likely be small.

Status
Not open for further replies.