A private group?

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
I'm trying to sort out which of My Space, Facebook, and that sort of blog thing called Livejournal would allow me to have a private space. By which I mean a space where I can post and my Japanese colleagues/students can access, read and reply.

I have asked for info up in the blog section but they are all busy blogging and can't believe anyone can know as little as I do!

I simply can't keep up with 40 plus e-mails a week and thought something like MySpace might work. However I gather that anyone can comment and I'd hate to have some clown come and mock or correct my Japanese friends who would be so mortified.

Please don't suggest google group thingies as they are too complicated for most of my Japanese friends to negotiate in English.

Adam Israel

Formerly known as StoneTable
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adamisrael.com
With LiveJournal, you can define lists to restrict access to posts. The only catch is that your colleagues/students would need to signup to LiveJournal for them to be able to see the posts. I think LJ is a fairly good option if the signup isn't an issue.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I haven't seen private list options on MySpace or Facebook.

I've used Livejournal in the past and have had a private group on there. You can do it as a community where your Japanese colleagues can also post or as a blog where only you post and they can leave comments.

They will have to sign in and have an account, though, for you to be able to give them access to either the community or the blog.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
LiveJournal will allow you to do private groups.

You might also consider a wiki, like pbwiki. It's free. You can make it so that each member can read/edit/add to/have their own pages, etc. You can add a calendar.

You can set it so that you must be a member to view/add/whatever, and control that access.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you!

Your help is much appreciated. Rep points all round.

I can't quite see how Live Journal works this private space but I'll go back and try. My students can sign up, I've taught 'em that.

I'll look at the wiki thingie, thank you Williebee, but as I've only just got used to using a blog, if it's too different I won't be able to use it quickly enough fo rmy students!

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would a forum work for you? I'm pretty sure many of them are still free to set up and run, if you don't need all the bells and whistles. I know Proboards is still free.

Deleted member 42

Your help is much appreciated. Rep points all round.

I can't quite see how Live Journal works this private space but I'll go back and try. My students can sign up, I've taught 'em that.

I'll look at the wiki thingie, thank you Williebee, but as I've only just got used to using a blog, if it's too different I won't be able to use it quickly enough fo rmy students!

Look at the LJ FAQ files:

http://www.livejournal.com/support/faq.bml

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Have fun!?????

Never, Williebee.

Not with computers. I hate them - seriously - and find them totally illogical and utterly time wasting.

Have spent a whole evening wasting time trying to set up LiveJournal to work as I want it to.

Trouble is that FAQs and instructions never start at ground level but always assume that one understands websites and basic computer structures. I've managed to get a private site, now I hope to goodness my students and colleagues can use it!

If a PC is meant to be a personal and easy to use tool why the hell isn't it?

indiriverflow

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.blues4kali.com
Never, Williebee.

Not with computers. I hate them - seriously - and find them totally illogical and utterly time wasting.

Have spent a whole evening wasting time trying to set up LiveJournal to work as I want it to.

Trouble is that FAQs and instructions never start at ground level but always assume that one understands websites and basic computer structures. I've managed to get a private site, now I hope to goodness my students and colleagues can use it!

If a PC is meant to be a personal and easy to use tool why the hell isn't it?

Imagine doing what you are trying to do without computers at all!

scribbler1382

Write For You, Edit For The Reader
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.soderstrom.ca
MySpace and Facebook both have this feature, but I've never set it up. You may have to pay for it or something. I know on Nathan Fillion's MySpace page you have to be a "friend" to see his blog (or did, anyway) and on James Rollins' facebook page, you have to be a "fan" to see his stuff. So, it is possible.

Georganna Hancock

she's back!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.writers-edge.info
Better late than not at all:

You can set up a private blog on Blogger.com

Members would need some sort of identification, of course, but you would want that anyway, right?