New Member Seeking Guidance in Freelancing

Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm new to AW and wanted to go ahead and introduce myself to the community. I've been “lurking” here for a few days reading furiously in hopes of developing a solid strategy for breaking into freelance writing and just from reading the various threads here I think I might have found myself a cozy little community of support to help me do just that. There seem to be a lot of really great individuals here and I feel like I already know some of you just from the frequency in which I have seen many of the same people posting comments here. That said, I would like to ask for some advice from some of the experienced writers here.

First of all, I have read the forums extensively over the past couple of days and I have managed to develop some ideas as to how I'd like to approach getting started with a career in freelancing. Additionally, I have used the search function in an attempt to clarify some elements of said approach so my request for advice would not end up being something that is covered in the stickied threads. Now that I have prefaced the thing to death, I'll get to the point.

I have written extensively over the years but unfortunately only in the form of unsubmitted short fiction, unfinished novel manuscripts, and some free writing I did for a friend at a NFL handicapping site in 2003, which is now defunct. As a result, I have no clips. I'm not going to let that deter me from querying publications that are open to new talent but in addition to that I would like to start making a little money right off the bat if possible. I'm considering doing some writing at Demand Studios based on what I have read regarding the experiences of several members here at AW but I want to make sure I meet the criteria they have outlined for acceptance as a new writer. I was thinking of sending my resume, which has substantial and varied work experience (but of course, no writing experience), with a new cover letter pitching my life experience in the workforce as a partial pretext for acceptance. As for the writing samples I thought I could do several articles at Associated Content first and then use those to pitch Demand Studios along with my new and improved resume.

I'd like to try to get in with them first try if at all possible. Does my strategy sound solid? If not, I'd be eternally grateful for any advice any of you might be willing to offer. I look forward to your replies and also to becoming a regular and positive presence in the AW community. Thanks in advance.

Chris

P.S. What does ETA mean? LOL. I've been seeing that as a post script and it's driving me nuts that I can't figure out what the acronym stands for.

Henri Bauholz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zenloonatic.blogspot.com
You seem to be very well informed. The content sites are a good way to break into the web, but don't be afraid to start querying both online and print magazines, for possible breakthrough assignments. Why not go for those markets first? It doesn't hurt. Also, your want to follow up on the NFL writing with some queries in that field.

Good luck.

My blog.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Hey Chris! Welcome to AW and to the Freelancing forum. It's great to have you with us. I'd like to recommend a couple books that are really helping me a great deal. First, Jenna Glatzer has a fabulous book: Make a Real Living as a Freelance Writer. I also invested in a copy of the Writer's Digest.

ETA means Edited to add. :D

scottVee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
scott.virtes.com
Hi, Chris,

Looks to me like Demand Studios is a work mill for "How To" and general information articles, and it's work-for-hire where they take all rights. I don't recommend this kind of arrangement. I'm not sure that such places (including Associated Content) are all that respectable, or useful to have on a resume. Sure, they have lots of needs and listings, but compared to serious print journals or newspapers, there's no comparison.

First, it sounds to me like you need to decide what you want to write. Fiction or articles? What genres or topics are you strongest in? Once you know that, you can find markets for such works, and study them. Those are your best bets. AW is full of threads on where to find markets, and book recommendations.

As for "querying publications" -- most publications have clearly posted guidelines. You read the guidelines to find out how they want to be approcahed. For fiction, you usually send stories, no query needed. Sending queries to places that have guidelines available is a good way to show that you're not taking the time to figure things out. If you can't find the guidelines online, sure, query and ask for current guidelines. But the web has made this info a whole lot easier to get to.

Don't let a lack of clips stop you. If we all did that, nobody would ever get started. Top-notch writing can break through any imagined barriers.

Last edited:

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Welcome!

I need to write something up and put it somewhere describing how to create a writing resume when you have no clips. This is the fourth or fifth time I've seen that question here. Maybe I should start a discount entry-level freelance writing resume service... :) Basically, you just make your resume and focus on the writing you did at your previous jobs, even if you weren't a paid writer there.

As for Demand Studios, as scottVee points out, it's a work for hire and you sell all rights. Also, this isn't a place you go to get clips to show other people. This is a place where you can crank out some articles and get paid a little money. No publication is really going to care much that you've written for them, but if you need extra gas money, it sure helps!

My suggestion as to a place to start for you? SUBMIT! You mentioned that you have written some short stories and haven't submitted them. Well find a market that needs them and submit away!

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
There are some great old threads in this forum on resume writing. Also, for query writing, check out the Query Letter Lessons up in the stickies.

MamaLou

Banned
Reaction score
One of the biggest suggestion I could make is: RUN AWAY! RUN AWAY!!!

No. seriously, I am a glutton for punishment like the rest of the writers here. I enjoy this so much I have a hard time walking away from it all, in spite of the larger number of disappointments versus successes.

To be a freelance writer requires a very thick skin as there are a LOT of turn downs in this business. Rule number one in all of this is, a "no" isn't personal. Editors don't lie awake at night thinking, "Now how can I screw up Nancy's world tomorrow?" It's a business like any other.

A "No" doesn't mean, "You suck. You'll never make it as a writer. You should go back to the hole you crawled out of and work on that whole evolution thing some more." Nope, a "No" in this industry can mean anything from, "We already have 30 other articles like this one." to "I didn't get my bran muffin this morning and this coffee tastes like shite."

Other than that, pitch away and see what sticks. Develop relationships with editors and you'll find they are much more open to you over someone who has never written for them in the past. Don't bug the heck outta them with EVERY SINGLE STORY IDEA that crosses your brain but certainly keep them in mind when you come across "something" that might suit their magaizine.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
I'd like to make the point that in most cases, an actual resume isn't even needed to get your foot in the door. So Jeffo, may want to hold off on printing those business cards. ;)

What is important are:

1. Writing *samples*. They don't have to be clips, just something that shows you can write. So your DS and AC articles may have a place after all. You don't even have to advertise they were published on the article sites... just post them in the body of the e-mail as a sample of your writing, esp. if they match the type of article you're querying.

2. Ideas. Pitch a killer idea to a publication open to freelancers and willing to work with new talent, and you may have your first actual clip, which solves problem number one.

You may be asked to work "on spec" the first time if you don't have any samples. Many writers here say avoid that at all costs. I don't agree.

Having been on the other side of the fence, as an editor... well, I'm not going to take a chance, and take dollars out of my precious editorial budget, to work with an unproven writer. "On spec," saves the editor that risk, because if the article isn't publishable in his eyes, he doesn't run it and you don't get paid.

However, if you have enough faith in your talents and abilities (and assuming that most editors aren't evil trolls, but are people working hard to fill pages in their magazines with quality content) you won't think twice about working 'on spec' at first because you know the editor will like your work. :) Trust me, when it's two days before deadline and your piece comes in, the last thing an editor wants is to reject it and then stay up till midnight himself writing a story to fill that hole or calling one of his go-to freelancers and paying him double to complete a story on a ridiculous deadline.

But I've gotten hideously off topic. Long story short? Don't worry about the resume. Just submit your stuff. :D

Reaction score
Thank You All

First of all, thanks for the enthusiastic and warm welcome from all of you who replied. It's always a little intimidating to be the new kid in an established community, particularly if it is one that you really want to participate in, so I appreciate all of you making me feel a bit more at ease here. I equally appreciate all of the excellent advice you have given here regarding the process. I'd like to clarify some points regarding my interest in writing for Demand Studios, but first I want to make it perfectly clear that I in no way want to come across as ungrateful or arrogant. As I've already stated, I truly appreciate the solid and useful advice that has been given to my original question and I assure you that I come here with the requisite level of humility that would be expected of someone with virtually no experience in the process of becoming a published writer. I expect that my experiences here with the group will ultimately be invaluable to my growth and development as a writer.

That being said, I will attempt to clarify my interest in obtaining info about the process of being accepted as a contributor at Demand Studios. I'm in a position right now that will, at least temporarily, give me a nearly unlimited amount of time to devote to writing. In practical terms this means that I won't have to choose between trying to market myself to professional venues and grinding content for Demand Studios. I can do both simultaneously. Additionally, I fully realize that DS is a useless venue for the purpose of establishing clips for my resume and I am not concerned about granting full rights to them for some simple 400 word “How To” articles. It's something I want to test out simply for the supplemental income and personal experience in the publishing process. I'm looking at it as a stepping stone both financially and professionally. The question is not so much whether I should work for them as much as how to go about it in a way that will give me a reasonable shot at being accepted on my first attempt.

For those of you who have worked for them, I'm wondering if you could provide some feedback regarding my proposed strategy in approaching them, keeping in mind that there are two main elements to the application, which are:

Resume: I'm planning to use my standard job resume with a reworked cover letter specifically designed to highlight my practical life experience as a basis of knowledge in order to contribute to assigned writing projects. (I think this part is basically a no brainer, because it is my only real choice)

Writing Sample: I could do one of two things here as far as I can tell. The first would be to pick an open “How To” assignment from their list and write it the way I would if I were submitting an assignment to them already, using eHow as a reference to make sure it is formatted in an acceptable manner. The second would be to actually publish a couple of eHow articles and maybe a short article at AC on The Best Golf Courses in Florida or something like that and then use them to fill out the entire application. This is really my main question (amazing that I used up 600 words to get here): If my writing sample is good enough, will it really matter that much to them that I don't have any links to provide for them or would I be better off publishing a few related articles at eHow and AC to link on the app?

Thanks Again,

Chris

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
I wish I could help you on the DS application process but it's been a while so I truly don't remember. I probably just emphasized my magazine work and newspaper stringing and linked them to my clips website.

I'll put in a good word for DS, and I say this as someone who sells plenty of magazine pieces too. Yes, it's a content mill, and yes, you lose your rights, but I will make over $1000 this month there. If you can write fast, it's great. I do it in between my other work and choose articles I can write rapidly. Granted, I don't use it on my resume, but neither am I ashamed of what I do there. It's the modern-day equivalent of the news stringing I used to do.

Oh, and welcome to AW! As I'm sure you can see already, it's a great and friendly (well, most of the time!) place.

Reaction score
That figures. LOL. While I'm typing a novelette to clarify my main question, Muse was basically answering it for me. Thanks Muse! At any rate, I would be very interested in some additional input from anyone who is writing or has written for DS as to whether I should take the time to contribute work to eHow and AC in order to have “related work” to link on the app or alternately if a strong writing sample would do the trick. The real issue is that I want to get hooked up with them asap, but if the extra time spent at eHow and AC will pay off by giving me a better shot at being accepted, I'm more interested in making sure my first app is going to be the only one I need to submit.

Thanks Yet Again,

Chris

Reaction score
Thanks Ink. If I can make that kind of money with DS it will be enough, with the income from my existing home biz, to keep me home and give me time and flexibility to write more substantial work, which is my ultimate goal.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
DS isn't a bad deal. I figure if I can get 15 an article and some days crank 5 out in 4 hours then that's okay with me. I can't find work right now so it's better than nothing. And it helps to brush up on my skills to say more with less words.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
When I applied to DS, I provided no prior experience or any published work. I think for my writing sample I sent a rather long (for them) article that I had written on spec for a magazine that never did respond. I think that article was about 2,500 words and had nothing to do with anything that DS does. It just showed I could string words together into sentences.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Other than that, pitch away and see what sticks. Develop relationships with editors and you'll find they are much more open to you over someone who has never written for them in the past. Don't bug the heck outta them with EVERY SINGLE STORY IDEA that crosses your brain but certainly keep them in mind when you come across "something" that might suit their magaizine

This is really valuable info that works. But you have to cultivate those relationships and prove you are a dependable professional.

Last edited:

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
Chris:
I was referring to getting published in magazines and on Web sites, not DS particularly. But if you write for DS, you will, at the very *least* have writing samples available when you query other publications, etc.

Also, check out www.freelancewritingjobs.com for gigs you can apply to.

Disclaimer: I don't know a lot about places like DS and AC, etc., but I read somewhere that splitting your energies results in lower traffic across the board and less income. Better to choose one and focus on it. (From what I've read/heard.)

Ink: How much time do you put in to earn $1000/mos.? That's phenomenal and i would love to hear how you do it. Wouldn't mind something like that for "filler income." (That's 1/2 of my 'required income' and if I could continue earning $2,000 mos. elsewhere, would be "found $!" LOL

Dawn

MamaLou

Banned
Reaction score
Absolutely

Other than that, pitch away and see what sticks. Develop relationships with editors and you'll find they are much more open to you over someone who has never written for them in the past. Don't bug the heck outta them with EVERY SINGLE STORY IDEA that crosses your brain but certainly keep them in mind when you come across "something" that might suit their magaizine

This is really valuable info that works. But you have to cultivate those relationships and prove you are a dependable professional.

Absolutely correct. I have been writing long enough for a AAA magazine that I can either call or e-mail one of the editors to pitch a story that could be used for filler for the on-line or print editions. Doesn't mean it'll get accepted, just that I can contact them and they know who I am.

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
I'm not overly fond of DS. They've never paid me for the work I did last year even after I sent all the forms they asked for. Twice.

I just put things up once in a while on eHow. But, as a warning, back up anything you place there. I accidentally flagged my own article and they deleted it. Nice moneymaker, too. I didn't know it was deleted until I got the email saying they'd removed it from the site.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Hi, Chris,

Looks to me like Demand Studios is a work mill for "How To" and general information articles, and it's work-for-hire where they take all rights. I don't recommend this kind of arrangement. I'm not sure that such places (including Associated Content) are all that respectable, or useful to have on a resume. Sure, they have lots of needs and listings, but compared to serious print journals or newspapers, there's no comparison.

First, it sounds to me like you need to decide what you want to write. Fiction or articles? What genres or topics are you strongest in? Once you know that, you can find markets for such works, and study them. Those are your best bets. AW is full of threads on where to find markets, and book recommendations.

As for "querying publications" -- most publications have clearly posted guidelines. You read the guidelines to find out how they want to be approcahed. For fiction, you usually send stories, no query needed. Sending queries to places that have guidelines available is a good way to show that you're not taking the time to figure things out. If you can't find the guidelines online, sure, query and ask for current guidelines. But the web has made this info a whole lot easier to get to.

Don't let a lack of clips stop you. If we all did that, nobody would ever get started. Top-notch writing can break through any imagined barriers.

While you are correct about the mills, I just have to add something here.

You have to look at where your time is best spent. I would not use DS on a resume to save my life, but if you want some quick cash for an article you won't need again, it can work for you. I'm not a huge fan, but it IS work if you need some money. I won't dis them because it's a job for Pete's sake and lots of people would like to have this money.

That said, it won't help your resume. BUT, it can help hone your skills. It always helps to keep honing while you're waiting for that ship to come in.

Anyway, what I really wanted to mention is that don't let the fact that some places will own that piece after you have written it for the sake of that fact alone.

I have an excellent blogging job that pays well and they own every piece I do for them thereafter. I'm okay with that. They are excellent for my resume and I can always re-slant the research and write for someplace else. This isn't at all like Demand Studios - they really are a mill.

I just wanted you to know that just because you sell your work doesn't mean you shouldn't write for them....you have to look at your personal goals.

Oh and ETA = "Edited To Add"...people will do this so it's understood that they didn't change the content to make something look like they did or didn't say a particular thing. I don't do it - I like to keep people guessing *grin* (okay, I'm lazy as hell)

Last edited:
Reaction score
I just have to say that I absolutely love this place. There are a lot of very cool and talented folks here and I'm really glad to be here. Thanks for all the help and pointers. Even the ones that weren't specific to my immediate goal of working with DS were very informative and helpful. I'm really looking forward to getting to know you all. Now I just have to make sure I don't spend all my writing time dawdling here in the forums. I already feel like I might be addicted.

:Hammer:

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Ink: How much time do you put in to earn $1000/mos.? That's phenomenal and i would love to hear how you do it. Wouldn't mind something like that for "filler income." (That's 1/2 of my 'required income' and if I could continue earning $2,000 mos. elsewhere, would be "found $!" LOL
Let's say I write 80 articles a month for DS as an example, which would be $1200 (hopefully doable for me this month). That's 20 articles per week, or four per day in a "business week." I choose my titles carefully so they don't take a lot of research, and I can write wicked fast due to my days as a news stringer. It takes some practice to learn the DS formats, but once you do, you can crank 'em out quickly. Let's say I average three an hour, which is $45 an hour. Not the best but not the worst either.

I don't actually to it that way...I tend to get on a roll and write them in big batches. But the above illustrates the time commitment, however you parse it up. It depends on what work is available there too and how long they take to do the reviews before you can claim more topics. This just happens to be a really, really good month.

lostwanderer5

Registered
Reaction score
I am a newbie too, and I have been following this thread. Just wanted to say thanks to all you guys for very informative answers.

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
Chris:

:welcome: and thanks for taking the time to acknowledge the help you've received so far from folks here. We all got started somewhere and the support and encouragement I get from colleagues on AW has been invaluable.

Though not a newbie now, I learn something helpful to my writing career everyday here.