On a More Serious Note (Announcement for the Office Party Forum)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't spoken to Mac about this, but she made her feelings known when she closed the Manprawn thread earlier. This is what she said:
Actually, I've been asking people for weeks to A- stop already with the over-sexualized acting out behavior, and B - stop already with the threads that are pictures upon pictures.

I've made the request in multiple rooms, on multiple threads. So that being the case, this thread has run it's course, folks. If you want hot pics to swap with each other, I'm dead certain that there are any number of other forums for that.

cheers.
I don't believe it changes the nature of this forum in any way, and that we should honor Mac's request without the need to continually monitor threads to ensure her appeals are met.

With that in mind, I ask that we respect Mac's wishes, in this forum and the rest of AW.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
I'm cool with it, but I still think that kitten pictures in P&CE are sometimes called for.

Then again, everyone knows I'm useless with Photobucket anyway.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It's very specifically the over-sexualized objectifying of either sex that's the problem, Joe.

Here's the thing:

I don't have a problem with the LOLcats, or about 80 percent of the stuff that gets posted -- I'm getting more complaints about "is this really necessary? Jeez" and "I'm getting less and less comfortable with my kids reading the board" and I can't really blame people for that. Everyone's boundaries are, of course, a bit different. But there are other boards to post and swap jpgs and gifs.

I also always know that the sex-chat stuff is starting to affect board/community culture in unpleasant and undesirable ways when I see a dramatic increase in the rate of PMs I get complaining about "so-and-so is PMing me and giving me the creeps..." or "so-and-so won't take a hint and it's making me really uncomfortable."

I've had a notable increase in both of those kinds of complaints, pretty much all spring.

There are always people who are going to have a hard time with tone, and with how much flirting is okay and fun, and how much is over the line and unwelcome, or who fail to note that so-and-so who they have a big board crush on doesn't flirt at all, ever. It becomes more of a part of the culture of the community, and easier to miss those social cues.

People are going to flirt on boards. They just always are going to, and that's not a big deal, either, usually. But when the culture of the place changes enough that people are feeling uncomfortable, then I'm responsible to try to do something about it.

I've resisted making any actual "rules" about this stuff, because...well...mostly, I hate rules. I will, though, if I have to.

Try to look at it like this: Say you went to a huge yard party, and some of the guests were single, and a bunch of them were friends, but a bunch more were total strangers, and some guests were married, and some brought kids --BUT a few people got a bit wild and thought it would be fun to take off all their clothes and dance on the furniture, and the host said, "err, hang on, folks. Not that kind of party, so please put your pants back on; in the meantime, does anyone want to volunteer to run the grill?"

Last edited:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I don't get the sex laden PMs, but I don't always care for the sex laden stuff, and I tend to avoid threads that head massively in that direction.

However, I just want to say that nothing screams AW to me more than a well placed LOL Cat. (How that works I don't know. The two are associated for me, now.)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I mostly didn't think it was fair to let Dino take the heat. And Dino, thanks for starting the thread. I've been sort of quietly PMing people for a while, and it's not been working all that well, always.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
ihaznorespek.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I mostly didn't think it was fair to let Dino take the heat. And Dino, thanks for starting the thread. I've been sort of quietly PMing people for a while, and it's not been working all that well, always.
Well, sometimes I'm the catalyst that gets members posting in directions they wouldn't normally think of following. But it's always meant in fun, without any harm to anyone.

And it's no secret that I love this forum, cruising around like a mother hen who's more protective than she should be at times. :)

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
It's always a weird thing for me to try to address, even, you know? Because I KNOW people who met and fell in love with their spouses, here on AW. I get that people like to flirt, just as play. Hell, I've been known to flirt too, mostly just because it disconcerts Robeieieieieieieiei so thoroughly. It's pretty normal.

...but then there are those very awkward PMs trying to explain just where the line IS, exactly, when someone inevitably goes blowing right over top of it without even hitting the brakes and PMs someone else with a graphic description of their erotic fantasy concerning that person, because the PMer thought they had a "connection" based on how they'd interacted in a sexually flirtatious thread...

o.0
heh.

Last edited:

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I had no idea that happened. Totally understand and support your decision then.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
I'm pretty conservative for the most part so I just figured it was my issue but my son is not conservative in the slightest and yet his objection to joining this much needed forum (he's a budding sci-fi/fantasy writer) is based on the very issue that Dino and Mac are talking about.

From time to time he's tempted. He'll cruise the forums and come to me and say, "what's wrong with these people, I don't want that crap in my face." It kind of took me back. I thought I was just being a prude but I can see his point.

I support Mac in any way she sees fit to run her forum and for me, this move is one I've been hoping for.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry but I don't see his point. He skipped past all the threads that are informative and helpful to writers and clearly marked by thread titles as writing threads to one called "I demand Manprawn" and there's something wrong with us? To be fair he put it in his own face. He knew what it was when he clicked on it.
No, Wayne...you misunderstand me, he didn't click on the manprawn thread. That's not the only thread where some of these photos have infiltrated. He was on informative threads in the past and then bam a derail happens with that content and he just doesn't get it. He isn't offended, he's annoyed and figures its a waste of his time.

So to be fair, please look before you leap.

kct webber

Squirrel, Sekrit type, 1 ea.
Registered
Reaction score
You're all a bunch of perverts! Or prudes! Or... something! Yeah!

:D

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
You know what? Stow the attitude, Wayne. NO one called you "obscene." And none of this was personal. YOU decided to make it seem that way.

I've asked nicely, and almost everyone has been terrific. But then there's a handful of people who just have to push anyway. The PG-13 thing? That's a perfect example of how if you give some people a line, they can't rest until they've pushed it as hard as they can get away with.

Some of you guys push the line, and push the line, and push the line.

If you're taking this personally, then maybe look hard at yourself and ask whether or not you've got room for improvement in this area?

The only real "rule" is respect the other people here. That's what it's always been. You're failing dismally at following that rule if you're the guy at the party who thinks its hilarious to pee in the aquarium. GO FIGURE that the person who has to clean up the aquarium doesn't find it nearly as amusing.

I'm sorry but I don't see his point. He skipped past all the threads that are informative and helpful to writers and clearly marked by thread titles as writing threads to one called "I demand Manprawn" and there's something wrong with us? To be fair he put it in his own face. He knew what it was when he clicked on it.

As far as the thread itrself I was told PG13 and stuck to it. Those models and actors objectified themselves by posing for the pictures, I did not. It was all done in fun anyway.

I'll follow your rules, but I won't be called obscene by any of you after I stuck to them..

Last edited:

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Here's the bottom line #1, folks, it's Mac's place and she gets to set the rules. The rules are pretty damn simple. Respecting your fellow writers is the core of them.

Bottom line #2, there are youngsters in here which we need to respect as well.

Granted, lots of us are jaded folks who understand what sex is and how it can be used for humor, etc, but sometimes those lines are crossed. Even when they are not crossed, they can make our younger crowd cringe like all git out.

I really didn't want to let this cat out of the bag, but I kind of need to right now: My daughter is has been a member of this board since she was 15. It is a burden to me that I have to defend myself to her for every post I ever make in P&CE, but some of the office party threads have worried me more.

I think Mac has a damn good idea here. I support it absolutely. I doubt anyone can offer any reasonable argument against it.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Mac's board, Mac's rules.

I don't have to agree with all of it, but I'll abide by it. I wasn't aware of the posts warning against this kind of thing, but I only read a small percentage of threads on the board, so it's no surprise I missed it.

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I don't have an attitude, I just don't ike being told I'm obscene because I'm participating in a thread that I broke no rules in. If you really want me to get off your site I will. I don't want to but I will.

What I want is for you to at least ACT like you've got some respect for the other people here, and stop posting crap that I get PMs about.

ETA: Thanks, Lori. I appreciate the cooperation.

Last edited:

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't seen the thread in question until just now. It's not just a matter of "I'm uncomfortable with my kids seeing this thread", it's also a matter of people who cruise on through at work during breaks and lunch (*raises hand*). There was one picture that would have been enough for my supervisor to have A Little Talk with me if she'd seen it as she walked by my desk (our desks are around the perimeter of the work area, the center open for people to walk through). It isn't obscene, but it's definitely inappropriate, especially when it's in an area with no restrictions or requests for warnings, like you find in SYW. Pictures of shirtless men standing around a swimming pool? Maybe. Pictures of cheesecake models with surgically-enhanced bustlines, and wearing only two corks and a postage stamp? Yeah, I'd like our under-21 members to explain those to their parents, as if they need that burden.

And before anybody asks, I'm one of those that doesn't offend easily. I find the current AIG scandal more obscene than cheesecake models, but it's more a question about what is and isn't appropriate for the general audience of these boards.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Here's the bottom line #1, folks, it's Mac's place and she gets to set the rules. The rules are pretty damn simple. Respecting your fellow writers is the core of them.

Bottom line #2, there are youngsters in here which we need to respect as well.

Granted, lots of us are jaded folks who understand what sex is and how it can be used for humor, etc, but sometimes those lines are crossed. Even when they are not crossed, they can make our younger crowd cringe like all git out.

I really didn't want to let this cat out of the bag, but I kind of need to right now: My daughter is has been a member of this board since she was 15. It is a burden to me that I have to defend myself to her for every post I ever make in P&CE, but some of the office party threads have worried me more.

I think Mac has a damn good idea here. I support it absolutely. I doubt anyone can offer any reasonable argument against it.
That's so cool that your daughter is a member of the forum. Now, I'm going to go crazy wondering which one she is. :D

I have to admit, my son took me by surprise. I thought he'd laugh it off. I'm still not sure why he got so annoyed (this has been off and on for two years) and if you remember him, Joey he was a moderator at 15 on The Corner Cafe before it closed. It's like he's such a goof and fun and all that but writing is serious business to him and in a way I worry he'll get caught up in P&CE. He's been working on a book about the political and philosophical opinions of a teenager as well. Man, he scares me he's so freakishly smart and down to earth at the same time.

Okay so that was a bit off topic. :D

MacAllister

Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Gah. We go through this every spring. Someday, it's not going to be such a big hurkin' deal.

I could just turn images off, you know? But that would be a huge bummer for everyone.

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd like our under-21 members to explain those to their parents, as if they need that burden.

Exactly, Panced.

I know that there ain't nothin' that would shock you, but I do appreciate your concern for our younger members. That was my point, too.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It all comes down to our #1 Rule here at AW:

Respect your fellow writer.

Here it is again, in an annoying size and color, in case you missed it:

RESPECT YOUR FELLOW WRITER.

(Hey! *pats hair* It matches the 'do!)

Joe270

Banned
Reaction score
That's so cool that your daughter is a member of the forum. Now, I'm going to go crazy wondering which one she is.

She's her own person, and I'd rather no one seeks her out. That's not fair to her. She's finding her own way here, and certainly doesn't want daddy interfering. I'd rather everyone leave her be and not try to discern who might be my daughter here. That's part of the respect thing, too. I don't want my daughter paying for my strong opinions so commonly voiced in P&CE.

I have to admit, my son took me by surprise. I thought he'd laugh it off. I'm still not sure why he got so annoyed (this has been off and on for two years) and if you remember him, Joey he was a moderator at 15 on The Corner Cafe before it closed.

I recall him well, and I still have the highest opinion of the young man. You have much to be proud of in that son, Cassio.

Your forum had stricter rules and was aimed at a younger crowd. I understood that, and respected that.

The same applies here, Mac sets the rules, if folks don't like that, find another place which has rules which are more to your liking. Pretty damn simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.