Who watched the news tonight? Super memory type that only 5 in US have...

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, I was overhearing the news talking about a man that had an extraordinary memory, and only 5 people in the US share his particular gift.

I got a story idea from this and started drafting, but when I went to do more research online I was stumped. There is hyperthymestic memory, which I believe is what I heard about tonight, but google news gives me nothing on that. It may be an old term though. Other google searches have me at a dead end, although I did learn about some other interesting memory abilities.

Oh, and I think my mom watches Fox news. :)

Any help nailing this down before I run all over the net?

Cheers

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ohh, that looks like a match.

And I forgot to mention that my facts might be slightly off. The news was 2 hours ago and my memory ain't as sharp as it could be ;)

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I think that would feel like some kind of curse. It is unfortunate that I have forgotten some things. But for some other things? It is a blessing.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
My memory works in really odd ways. I remember some of the strangest things.

But not everything and not near as much in the last couple of years. It's weird how some things have far reaching affect memory and the like.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I have a weird memory too. I forget a lot of stupid things like where my keys are, etc. But I can remember things people have said verbatim, including the time, place, and situation. It drives people bananas until they need to remember something that happened.

ETA: I'm talking like I can remember conversations that went on around me when I was 3 years old. It's kind of annoying sometimes.

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think that would feel like some kind of curse.

Exactly. This isn't gonna be a rainbows and butterflies short story :D

ETA: I'm talking like I can remember conversations that went on around me when I was 3 years old. It's kind of annoying sometimes.

Annoying vs helpful conversations, huh? *takes notes*

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
I had an art teacher with a photographic memory. He could paint a scene he'd seen earlier in the day with great precision. One was of a crowded street in a city. Pretty remarkable.

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
I used to work with a guy, he was a bit of a blowhard, who told me he had semi total recall. I asked if that meant that he remembered some things all of the time or all things some of the time.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. This isn't gonna be a rainbows and butterflies short story :D

Annoying vs helpful conversations, huh? *takes notes*

It's helpful in certain situations. But, I'd trade some of that space to be able to remember where I put my keys or when I took my meds or many other not necessarily trivial things. :D