PDA

View Full Version : Contacting an agent I know

macandal
06-04-2005, 05:09 AM
I was just turned down by an agent. This agent came to me through a recommendation (you should read my posting in this very forum http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11829). Now, I may have another option. In grad school, while getting my MFA in Creative Writing, I was in a class with a woman who is now a working agent in a reputable agency. Now, I went to grad school almost 10 years ago, but she might still remember me because 1) I was the only guy in the class we shared, 2) I asked her out and she turned me down (she had a boyfriend). Should I contact/query her? If so, how do I go about doing this? Is it a good idea to contact her? There is no bad blood between us, I was just wondering if I should approach her and if so, how? I know, this all may sound pretty funny (it does to me) but I figure, why not use the options I have? Thanks all.

clara bow
06-04-2005, 06:17 AM
I don't see why not; just keep things professional this time! ;)

Betty W01
06-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Sure, go for it. Why not? The worst you can get is she'll turn you down (again) and you'll be without an agent, which is where you are now anyway. Good luck. (And yes, be professional. You might want to leave out the part about asking her out, lest she think you might be planning on doing it again <grin>)

Chesher Cat
06-06-2005, 06:08 AM
I would try to include the previous date rejection - that is, if you can find a really clever way to do it that keeps it light and fun. You had a peer relationship before and if you keep this attempt at contact too professional, she might feel weird. And if you ignore the date attempt she may feel uncomfortable - always good to get that kind of thing out of the way early.

Plus, you should definitely contact her because that's what school is all about - making contacts. Don't forget the agent needs the writer more than you need the agent. If your writing is really good and publishable, you are doing her a favor, as she is doing you one too.

Good Luck!

dragonjax
06-06-2005, 10:35 PM
Totally. Contact her. And work in the rejection, too -- that's funny!

macandal
07-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Okay. Thanks for all your suggestions. I was trying to write a letter but I could not do it. In this case I just don't know how to do it. Can someone offer some suggestions? Thank you.

latichever
07-11-2005, 01:33 AM
How about something to the tune of,

"You turned me down romantically, but my writing is another story."

triceretops
07-11-2005, 02:05 AM
I'd go for it, but I'm a coward in the same position. My first love is now a V.P. at 20th Century Fox, and I've been working up the courage to contact her with some script ideas--she also owns her own production company and has worked in about nine feature films, including Brave Heart. Just call me Coward Heart. One of my letters went unanswered at her swank Beverly Hills address. She's best buds with my sister, so I think I might use that route. Oh, the pain of it all.

Triceratops

Caty
07-23-2005, 04:19 AM
Gosh you're so shy! I'd use the vet who fixed my great auntes parrots wife's brother-in-law if he was a decent agent. I

macandal
08-21-2005, 04:53 AM
I've been thinking, seeing how I know the agent, and considering my past with her, do you guys think it would be best/appropriate to call her before. I know that under normal circumstances the correct way to approach an agent is to query her but, since I know her, how bad would it be if I called her? I've been trying to write a query letter for her and they all come out wrong. Help please!! Thank you.

triceretops
08-21-2005, 03:17 PM
Macandal--If there's no spilled blood between you two, call her up. I don't think it's in bad taste. Besides, teach me a lesson and show me how it's done!

Tri

StoryG27
08-21-2005, 03:54 PM
I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with calling her. But like you said, it's been a decade, so that might seem a little strange. Do you have an email address for her? You wouldn't have to write her an e-query, just a short note (where, yes, you can mention her first rejection of you in a witty way) and ask if it would be ok if you contacted her about your work. That way she'll already have a reminder of who you are before you call, and you'll know if she's interested in dealing with you and with your type of writing.

macandal
08-23-2005, 04:04 AM
I have an e-mail address, however, this is not a "public" address, meaning that it is not listed in her agency's web page. I found it in a discussion thread in absolute write and in everyone who's anyone (and I wouldn't want her to think that I got it from there!). Does that look fishy? Like I've been obsessively looking for e-mail address? I don't know, I was just thinking. Maybe I'm making too much out of this. Thanks.