PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to start an online novel writers' group?

KCathy
03-22-2009, 01:38 AM
I can't seem to find sites with openings in small (4-6 member) writers' groups specializing in general fiction. Either they specify a different genre, are no longer accepting members, or only allow you to submit your work to a large number of people in a point-exchange-type program.

Do you know of a site currently allowing members to join small gen fic groups or have suggestions on the best place to begin one of my own?

I'm leaning toward starting one because it would be nice to specify that only people who regularly submit and regularly critique may be members. If you have advice on starting one, I'm especially interested in location and format (blog? livejournal? forum somewhere?).

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me! I appreciate your time.

dreamsofnever
03-22-2009, 06:03 AM
KCathy, this is a great idea! I actually attempted to do this myself, by starting a group on livejournal. Unfortunately, participation really died out fairly quickly.

I think LJ is probably not the route to go since everyone would have to sign up for the group, but perhaps doing something through yahoo groups?

LJ might still be an option, since you can make your community private so only members can read the posts. If you're interested in the guidelines and other things I set up for my shortlived critique community, those are all here: http://community.livejournal.com/crit_me/profile

I think my problem was that I only managed to recruit one other writer who was actively working on a novel. So, everyone else was sort of just there to read and comment and they didn't have as much motivation to participate regularly.

But the LJ set-up works if you can get people who are dedicated to participating.

You can also set up your own free forum through proboards, and you can lock everything so members need a password to see the entries to keep it private.

Good luck with putting this together! I wish I had the time to join, but things are a bit hectic for me so I wouldn't be very good at giving detailed crits at the moment I'm afraid.

KCathy
03-24-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info--it was great to see a good example of how to create one. I appreciate your help!

James81
03-24-2009, 11:05 PM
lol, what better place than right here?

I'd join up. I'm looking for a quality writer's group, and am having trouble finding one in my area.

Red-Green
03-24-2009, 11:40 PM
If you form one, I highly recommend using Yahoo Groups to do it. I've been part of a small crit group since 2003, and Yahoo provides plenty of space to upload files for comment, and since it's a members only group, all conversation is private and password protected.

ynoirb
03-25-2009, 01:13 PM
I would join one - I've been drifting in the writing stakes lately, and I think having someone to complain/whinge/rant/panic to would kind of help...?