Modern-Day Epic - In progress

dwellerofthedeep

Electric Alien Fish Machine
Registered
Reaction score
Among other projects I have been working on a fantasy/magical realism epic poem set in the year 2000. I usually write prose for the most part so I felt like sharing a little about the structure I'm using, just to get some things straight (With myself too). Because I wanted a cleaner cut size for my story I decided to go with a metric epic.

10 Syllables per line. No essential rhyme but rhythm instead.
10 Lines per stanza.
100 Stanzas per book (Split into 10 parts of 10 stanzas each that can flow together)
10 books per epic.

Some stuff about that really bugged me. Mainly, that the climax of any given book would cut into the development of the major stanzas.
Some of my previous poetry writing helped me realize that I wanted to use a large, climactic stanza at or near the conclusion of each book.

Enter: The Macrostanze (19 Lines long, starting small, and building in length successively).

Anyway, that was a long bit about the structure because I wanted to share but I do have a question for anyone who write poetry more than I do (Most people here, is my bet). Do you have tips for writing long poetry or even just narrative poetry? I haven't written much of this poem yet but I like what I have, though it will need revision and critique in the future.

This thread could also be good for discussing the qualities and problems of long narrative poetry. I'm interested to see what you people think.

Last edited:

Dichroic

that's di-CROW-ick
Registered
Reaction score
Website
riseagain.net
I've never written anything more than a few pages long, but one of the biggest problems is going to be the same as that with any metric poem: you're going to need to be careful not to let the meter overpower the meaning. I think when done really well the meter should be perceived only as an addition to the piece, not as its main driver.

I have not read it myself, but Vikram Seth's "A Suitable Boy" is said to be a really masterful example of a modern epic.

JRH

practical experience, FTW
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowpoetry.com
that's a very ambitious project but I'm curious where you came up with that format which would result in a work of about 10,000 words and I'm also very curious as to how much you actually have completed.

I have one work of about 8 pages (about 2800 words) called "Atalan" about the rise and Fall of Atlantis, done in a mixture of meter and free verse, and I'm currently working upon a poem about "Railroads" which figures to end up about 14,000 words. I'm currently at 30 pages (10500 words) and it's done primarily in Free Verse with variable line and stanza lengths, and does not comform to any of the general conventions for "Epics" as it's simply meant to be a historical overview of the industry and it's taken me well over 6 years to write, and I'm not done yet, and have NO idea where I'll be able to market it when I'm finished.

I hope you have a detailed plan and are willing to do a lot of research, and spend a lot of time on this, as writing a Novel is far less complicated.

In any case, good luck to you on yours, and

Write On,

JRH

Last edited:

dwellerofthedeep

Electric Alien Fish Machine
Registered
Reaction score
I like the complication. I'm prepared to spend a lot of time on it, but you're right. It is a challenge.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
I've never considered doing something like this. You've inspired me! :D

I'm reading Williams' Paterson right now. Love it.