• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Break out the chainsaw... Beta wanted! Urban fantasy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohica

scribe to dark muses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroque.com
I'm looking for readers willing to be detailed, specific, and savage when warranted. ;) Touched is an 86k-word dark urban fantasy set in a near-future metropolis. I snatched a chunk of my query out and pasted it below to give you a better idea of the plot.

Someone is sending forensic telepath Alexandra Romero grisly gifts wrapped in human flesh: unwilling suicides whose last words are her name.

As a consultant with a besieged metropolitan police department, Lex relives the memories of crime victims too traumatized to tell their own stories. It’s not a charmed life – it’s lonely by necessity, grim by nature, and by nightfall Lex can barely stand to face the people she spends her days trying to save. In barely seventy-two hours, though, one dead drug addict and one very-much-alive man will change it all.

It starts on the roof of a pay-by-the-hour motel where a pretty girl begs Lex for help moments before taking a swan dive. Unfortunately, it doesn’t end there – although the pretty girl does. The dead girl is part of an invitation someone really wants to make sure Lex receives.

After waking up in a stranger's home with corpses at her feet and no recollection of the past six days, Lex knows this is probably not a party she wants to crash. However, faced with the rising body count and the mounting suspicion of her colleagues, as well as the holes in her memory that make even Lex question her own innocence, she has no choice. At least, none that doesn't involve toe tags or incarceration. The trail of murder by suicide leads Lex to strange, not-quite-human allies, and straight into the hands of an enemy she cannot remember.

I'm totally willing to beta your full manuscript in any related genre. I've become a big fan of YA paranormals lately so I'm open to those too.

Thanks guys! :banana:

Achromasia

I'd probably do it. How deep of a critique are you looking for? Just a general one? Or a line-by-line sort of thing?

bohica

scribe to dark muses
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaroque.com
Whatever you're up for, Achromasia. Elbows-deep or general impressions, I'll take what I can get. :snoopy:

Achromasia

I'll do it. Just PM me about it or whatever. Sounds like a yummy novel to me =]

Status
Not open for further replies.