Where do you buy your books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in Canada and always buy my books online through Chapters.ca. It's so easy and I get free shipping as I always order over $30.00 at a time.
I went into Chapters yesterday and I hated it. I couldn't find anything and some things were out of stock. It was all fancy shmancy and I wasted way too much time there.
I know a lot of people that only shop through Amazon.
So...just wondering if you usually buy books online (if so where) or do you go to physical book stores (if so which ones).

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
I buy from Amazon and a company called Abebooks when I buy online.
For physical stores, there's Borders, Barnes and Noble, Books A Million and Carmichael's for new books. There are two good used bookstores here.

Zipotes

Registered
Reaction score
I just wonder about those that publish with e-type publishers that only supply books through Amazon, etc. I wonder if enough people buy online verses bookstores to make it worthwhile to choose this type of publishing.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
Borders, mainly. Now that I'm living in town again, there's a Borders just five minutes away. It's a baby Borders and nothing like the full grown one in Ann Arbor, but I can order anything I want and have it sent there (no shipping cost, no payment if I decide not to purchase it!)

I still do some shopping on Amazon, but I'm not real thrilled with them. (The whole kerfluffle with Print on Demand services and a previous issue with ebooks.)

Now, I just wish I had more time and money I could put towards reading. =/

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually the bookstore I really miss is the original Borders in Ann Arbor--the one in the old row house off campus where each room had its theme/genre--including the bathroom! It's been long gone, but I really really do miss that place.

Nowadays, I either go to B&N (chai tea too!) or get the books off Amazon. Amazon's the easiest option, though.

selkn.asrai

Rawr.
Registered
Reaction score
Barnes and Noble, sirs--rockin' the employee discount!

...And giving my money back to my employer. Yeah, I know. :p

Reaction score
Mostly Borders. Waterstone's just doesn't have the same choice. There are no second hand stores in my home town now; they've all been taken over by TV rental places or clothes shops.

citymouse

fantasy dweller
Registered
Reaction score
Z, I buy both online and at Borders. We have a B&N nearby too but I rarely go there.
One option you may want to consider is, if you have a book in mind why not visit the publisher's website? I'll bet the book won't be out of stock there, unless it's no longer in print.
I admit that I prefer to hold a book in my hands so if I can I but in a store. I also like it that in doing so I'm supporting a business that employs locals and pays taxes to my community.
C

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
Amazon for most things, occassionally i pop into WHSmith (only 'book' store in town) but their shop seems to make my toddler cry for some reason, so hurrah for Amazon!

Lady Cat

Registered
Reaction score
Website
randomwriterlythoughts.blogspot.com
In town I buy books at Coles in the mall, the drug store, Wal Mart or Zellers. If I'm out of town I head straight for the nearest Indigo/Chapters. The Chapters in Belleville or Peterborough are awesome; the one in Oshawa . . . not so much.

The best way to buy books is online, but I'll have to get my credit cards paid down a bit before I can start that again. :D

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon if I'm shopping online (though I sometimes buy through their retailers). Chapters/Indigo if I'm shopping in person and looking for new books. There are also some secondhand bookstores that I haunt.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
As a Michigan guy, I used to be a Borders fan but eventually I found their discount program too restrictive. Now I'm doing my brick-and-mortar new-book shopping at Barnes & Noble. The membership pays for itself pretty quickly.

I order books from Amazon occasionally, but I'm more likely to go through them for exotic CD's and DVD's.

A local library runs a used bookstore out of a back room. Lately I've been grabbing books by the sack at least once a week.

RiseBeauty

Registered
Reaction score
Good question!

Online: Amazon
In person: Strand (NY) when I go downtown and B&N now since there are about 50 of them near my apartment.

I used to love this new/used bookstore that had two storefronts with Murder Inc. on one side that sold only mystery, thriller/suspense, and horror. Ivy's Books was on the other side with lit fiction and just about everything else. It closed a few years ago which was a shame to see. About four or five small bookshops closed in my neighborhood over the last 5-10 years because of the economy and the outrageous commercial rental costs in NYC. If I had my choice it would be a neighborhood Mom & Pop operation that would get most of my business but no more of those left here :(

Nadja

popbunny

Registered
Reaction score
I support my local independant bookstore when I can, but when money's tight I go amazon.ca. The local store charges full Canadian price all the time, and amazon always comes in way cheaper.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
B&N most of the time because I love browsing. Amazon when I can't find the book at B&N.

If I'm in a town with a great independent bookstore, I love cruising through there too. We don't have one where I live.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever bookstore crosses my path. I can be seduced by B&N, Borders, independents, used bookstores, supermarket thriller-and-romance racks, drugstore offerings, you name it. I am also personally responsible for about 1/4 of Amazon's yearly profit, I think.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Borders, Costco (big box store), once-a-year massive used book sale for charity, library back room sale, used book stores, yard sales. So, pretty much any place that sells books.

MM
why, yes, I am an addict:Shrug:

Barb D

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bqdell.blogspot.com
Barnes and Noble, because I love to browse.

Amazon if I know what I want and can't make it to B&N.

Borders if I happen to be in that shopping center (it's farther away than B&N).

Used bookstores online if all else fails.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I buy from e-harlequin or amazon.ca.. Occasionally I will drop into a local book store.

DaddyCat

Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't give up Amazon, the chains or the independents, but there's something glorious about used bookstores that goes beyond price. I love the smell of the old books and randomness of the selection. I remember Denver in the mid-1980's and just walking East Colfax downtown. It seemed like every third storefront was a used bookstore, and each one would have something I wanted. I would spend a day browsing and buying until my arms couldn't hold any more books!

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon owes me a thank you card and probably some stock benefits. I buy all sorts of things there, not just books.

Although for e-books, I usually buy direct from the publisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.