Let's talk about Murphy's Law...

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so this kind of "muphy-ish" for me:

Yesterday, at lunch, I ordered a bacon cheeseburger and a side of french fries. I ride up to the store and pick it up, I get it to my car, open it and eat the cheeseburger and it was SO FRICKIN DELICIOUS that I wolfed it down in like 2 minutes. OMG, it was the best bacon cheeseburger ever. When i was done with my burger and fries, I found myself wanting another one.

So, today, I order from the same place. Instead of getting the fries, though, I just ordered TWO bacon cheeseburgers. My mouth drooled as I ordered. I was excited.

So, I get them to my car and open them up, and sure enough they look good.

But they WEREN'T! They so weren't as good as the one I had yesterday. They were both just "ok" but neither of them were GOOD.

And this happens all the time to me. I'll order a six inch sub (and wish I had gotten a 12 inch sub), but when I get a 12 inch sub, I don't finish it because it's just "ok."

Why is that? Why is it that when there is never enough food, it's the most delicious food ever and you want more, but when there is more than enough, it's never near as good as it was when there wasn't enough of it?

Can someone explain that to me? It's one of life's little mysteries.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
I think you've just discovered something very important about yourself.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading a somewhat older Ray Kurzweil book, "The 10 Precent Solution" (while pedaling on an old Lifecycle exercise bike). Hamburgers, cheeseburgers and fries are only mentioned in connection with atherosclerosis and related and subsequent conditions.
It's called the law of diminishing returns.
In his later books Kurzweil has his "Law of Accelerating Returns" but that's about the growth in scientific knowledge and technology, and definitely not cheeseburgers.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It proves nothing lives up to its expectation.