PDA

View Full Version : Seeking YA Beta for THE DUFF

Blind Writer
03-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Okay, I"m almost done with THE DUFF, and I'd really like to have a beta look at it. Fresh eyes, you know? With the beta's comments in mind, I'll go back and edit it before passing through the gates of query hell. Below I'll post the query so you can tell what it's about.

Seventeen-year-old Bianca knows she’s the duff (the designated, ugly, fat friend). So when Wesley, a notorious womanizer, approaches her at a party she knows he wants to score with one—or both—of her hot friends. The man-whore’s arrogance really pisses her off, but Bianca wants to escape from some personal drama, like her mom’s abandonment and her dad’s denial, so a steamy fling with Wesley seems like the perfect distraction. Bianca makes it clear she’s only using Wesley, not that he minds. He’ll sleep with anything that moves after all. Unfortunately, the enemies-with-benefits plan totally backfires.

When Bianca’s mom files for divorce and her father is sent into a downward spiral of drinking and depression, Wesley proves to be a surprisingly good listener, and she finds out that his family is pretty screwed up, too. His cocky grin starts to grow on her, and she realizes—with absolute horror—that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated.

It's full of bad words and sex, so if you're easily offended, this isn't the thing to beta. For those of you who are more liberal and want a good laugh, the book is loaded with fun sarcasm.

I need someone who can beta kind of quickly--or at least can send me back a chapter at a time so I can start my editing as soon as possible. I'll be ready to send out the MS to a beta on Monday morning, so if you're interested send me a PM.

Thanks!
Kody (yes, it can be a girl's name, too)

lm728
03-21-2009, 05:36 AM
Yupyup I can do it. Because after all you're beta-ing mine. Actually I can't even justify it as you beta-ing mine. :)

I only gave you the first four pages, haha. I'm a perfectionist.

Blind Writer
03-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Tilt, how quickly would you be able to read it? I'm in a tad bit of a hurry.

lm728
03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Like I said in the twift thread:

line-by-line: three weeks

chapter-by-chapter impression, with suspension of disbelief, and some minor word corrections to your draft: half a week to one week

My parents limit my computer time, but anyways, since I stay in the library during lunch, I should get through it pretty quickly. But that's also contingent on how much work needs to be done correcting your draft.

Blind Writer
03-23-2009, 09:06 PM
Wow, Tilt, your quick! Okay, I'll send it to you and just do a chapter-by-chapter deal. How do you usually go about betaing things? With Word's comment tool or just notes in a separate file? I'm fine with either, but I'm just curious.

Also, um, are you bothered by fowl language or sexual conten?

lm728
03-24-2009, 02:22 AM
fowl language, haha. chicken language. :)

nope, not bothered by either. Please. I WRITE stuff with sexual content and foul language. You haven't seen my first few chapters yet. :)

Word's comment tool? There's a comment tool? Anyways, I usually write in my comments in a different-colored font, do strikethroughs for unneeded words, and write down sentence suggestions in another color.

You have my email, I hope. If not, PM me for it.

Blind Writer
03-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I have it.

Yeah, comment is great. You just highlight what you want to comment on and click "insert" and scroll down to comment, and then ou can type what you want to say in the box.

I'll send it today, but I don't know if the differnt color thing will work. LIke my user name suggests, I really am legally blind, and colors are hard for me to distinguish.

lm728
03-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Got it. I'll do the comment thingy.

Blind Writer
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Okay, thanks! I love the comment tool. That's how I beta everything.
Did I mention that you're awesome, by the way? I wish I had the patience and dedication to write seven drafts of each chapter AND beta for others.

lm728
03-26-2009, 03:30 AM
I know I'm awesome. :)