Word count in query

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
I'm not 100% sure this is the right places, so mods please move to the right place.

My question is, when you list the length of your ms in a query letter, do you want to stick to round numbers (ie. 86,700) or actual number (ie. 86,753)? From the queries I've skimmed in QLH, they all seem to be round numbers.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I would recommend rounding off to the nearest K, so 87,000 words in your case.

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
There's a couple of reasons for using round numbers. An agent or editor is looking at the approximate size of your book. Agents and editors know that if your book is X words, cost of printing will be approximately Y. The difference between 87,345 words and 87,346 is obviously meaningless. The difference between 60k and 80k is significant.

Second is balancing your story against it's size. Depending upon the story (not the genre, the story), an agent or editor is going to know approximately how long the story should be. This is based upon complexity and natural pacing for the story.

Third is whether your book is just too long or short for the genre. Notice that none of these reasons require an exact number.

There's also the question of how accurate word counters are. Word, for example, can count marks such as # (used to indicate an intentional line break) as a word. Bottom line is even if you counted by hand, the chances of an error are so high I doubt anyone ever has a number they like to bet the farm on. I know I don't trust the number to beyond the nearest thousand for a novel. Sometimes it's fun watching it wander around when I'm doing editing, as it tries to recalculate the number.

So there are practical reasons why approximations are used. But the most important one is using an exact number indicates you're an amateur, because people who know use approximations.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Thanks Jim!

That was very useful. You have a lot of know-how so I hope to see you in a few months (ok so October is more than a few months) to tear apart my query.

justAnotherWriter

Registered
Reaction score
There's also the question of how accurate word counters are. Word, for example, can count marks such as # (used to indicate an intentional line break) as a word. Bottom line is even if you counted by hand, the chances of an error are so high I doubt anyone ever has a number they like to bet the farm on. I know I don't trust the number to beyond the nearest thousand for a novel. Sometimes it's fun watching it wander around when I'm doing editing, as it tries to recalculate the number.

Word 2007 has an extremely accurate word counter. The best part about it is that it is always displayed on the screen (bottom left) and updates as you type. Also, if you use the selection tool it tells you how many words have been selected. I use this to keep track of chapter length as I work.

Last edited: