Prayer

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Okay, I need a prayer for a character who's... well, praying. It's the typical Catholic prayer, but I only know it in latin (with atrocious spelling, to boot):

Pater noster, qui est in coelis, santificetur nomen tuum, adveniat regnum tuum et fiat voluntas tua sicut in coelis et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianus da nobis hodie, et dimite pecata nostra sicut et nos dimitimus pecatoribus ostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentacionem, sed liberanos ab omni male, amen.

How does it go in English?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Google is my friend.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth
As it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation;
But deliver us from evil:
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
Amen.

Here's another similar, but slightly different, translation:

Our father, which art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
Amen.

The first version is the more traditional, and the one most people in the US are more familiar with.

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kids (at least those whose parents are religious) are taught that prayer very early.

It's famous for the kids making mistakes reciting it, such as "Our Father, who art in heaven, Howard be thy name".

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Kids (at least those whose parents are religious) are taught that prayer very early.

It's famous for the kids making mistakes reciting it, such as "Our Father, who art in heaven, Howard be thy name".

ROFL!!

I was taught the prayer in Spanish when I was very little. However, I haven't prayed in about... hmm... maybe 7 years? My grandfather taught me the prayer in Latin as a curiosity, and I liked how it sounded. Now, I don't really remember how it goes in Spanish, but I can surely recite it in Latin :)

The English version is funny, though... the language is really archaic. I don't remember the Spanish version being like that.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
ROFL!!

I was taught the prayer in Spanish when I was very little. However, I haven't prayed in about... hmm... maybe 7 years? My grandfather taught me the prayer in Latin as a curiosity, and I liked how it sounded. Now, I don't really remember how it goes in Spanish, but I can surely recite it in Latin :)

The English version is funny, though... the language is really archaic. I don't remember the Spanish version being like that.

Remember that Spanish-speaking cultures, mostly Catholic, until fairly recent (about 50 years) have been praying The Lord's Prayer in Spanish, French, etc. This is called Vernacular (before it was in Latin) while the, mostly Protestant, English-speaking cultures along with the other Protestant cultures have been praying it in their respective languages for almost half a millennia.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
The baker didn't thought I was a seminarist because of nothing, eh? (and got cheap bread and milk)