Silversmith / Silver Jewelry artist

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
Have a character who is an artist who works mainly in silver. Many (but not all) of her pieces will be jewelry.

Can anyone describe:
  • what her workroom setup might be
  • how long she might spend on a single piece of jewelry (ring or necklace)
Links to appropriate web sites with pictures, basic info, etc all appreciated.

Thanks!

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I used to do craft shows and she did lamp work jewelery and some silver items. The time varies depending on the intricacy of the piece. It could range from 3 hours for a simple plain necklace to 20 hours for a detail brooch.

Ref her work area, she had a kiln to fire the glass work for the jewelery inserts, a propane and oxygen torch, flexible shaft machine, jeweler's bench, soldering touch, saw frame and blades, flat file, pickling solution, jeweler's drill, and shaping hammer. There's an online site for the tools you need (look up Riogrande.com). Hope that helps.

Hildegarde

A newb in the fog
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nightmarefactory.com
My wife and I used to do craft shows and she did lamp work jewelery and some silver items. The time varies depending on the intricacy of the piece. It could range from 3 hours for a simple plain necklace to 20 hours for a detail brooch.

Ref her work area, she had a kiln to fire the glass work for the jewelery inserts, a propane and oxygen torch, flexible shaft machine, jeweler's bench, soldering touch, saw frame and blades, flat file, pickling solution, jeweler's drill, and shaping hammer. There's an online site for the tools you need (look up Riogrande.com). Hope that helps.

Awesome--Thanks!