PDA

View Full Version : Depression hurts. (teen depression)

lm728
03-20-2009, 05:53 AM
how does it hurt? How is teen depression caused? What are some signs of depression and impending suicide? Anything else?

Thanks.

Hummingbird
03-20-2009, 07:40 AM
I know of a situation when depression was caused by the build-up of stress in family life and school life.

It does hurt all over. It is like a dull numbing pain that is coursing throughout the whole body and no matter how you stand, sit, etc; it will not go away. When I was depressed it hurt down into my bones. I also have Systemic Lupus, so I am not sure if my case would be different or not.

I remember wanting everything to leave me alone. I just wanted to stay in my room all day, away from the problems outside. I just did not want to deal with it anymore. Whenever someone asked me to do something I started to get a migraine or back pain at just the thought of messing with it.
My doctor said that I was not that bad and that there would not be much of a worry of suicide for me since I could still be cheerful in many situations outside of my normal setting/situations.

semilargeintestine
03-20-2009, 07:44 AM
Depression really does hurt. Like Hummingbird said, it is just an all-over pain that swells as your mood deteriorates. I had a pretty bad depressive episode not too long ago, and I felt like something was gripping my heart and crushing it. As for signs and symptoms, there are plenty of books on the subject. You can get a lot of info online, or just head over to a Borders for half an hour. That's what I do. :)

ETA: When it was at it's worst, I almost wanted to kill myself just to get rid of the pain. It wasn't that it was more painful than a physical injury (I've broken some bones, which hurt MUCH worse physically), it's just the feeling that there is no hope for the future.

Aschenbach
03-20-2009, 07:51 AM
I don't want to sound facetious by recommending a movie, but I will anyway.

Watch "Thirteen". A more authentic examination of causes and effects of teenage depression I have never seen.

willfulone
03-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Depression can manifest itself in physical discomfort. The body is a complex physiology and chemical reactions within it are difficult to understand. I will address some physical things - for the emotional ones are going to vary among people. And be varying degrees for people. AND, are difficult to express beyond "just feels" a way or some such. And, you have some answers on that stuff already.

Now, the physical things are not going to happen to all people. But, can and do occur often - in depressed people - for the ones I mention below:

A depressed person can feel tired all the time and sleep too much (causing body aches during activities for lack of muscle work normally needed for feeling fit and well; or body aches for the laying down in one position too much). Or a depressed person may not sleep enough which can cause the body to move and over work itself (causing body aches for the over doing or for just getting so tired it aches).

Headaches are common in depressed people.

Upset stomaches and intestinal ills are also common in those stressed with depression.

Grinding teeth can cause a bunch of pains in the head/ears, etc. Common in depressed people.

Chest pains (due to anxiety) are common in some depressed people.

People can self harm themselves when depressed by actually injuring themselves or they could drink to excess (alcohol) or take drugs that could bring on a bunch of potential physical ills.

Depression may bring on bouts of hypochondria - which FEEL real to the sufferer. Even if there is no physical evidence showing from testing. One may actually FEEL a pain that cannot be detected and is merely a psychopsymatic pain. Not real. But? Still real.

People who have prior conditions (asthma, lupus, psoraisis, etc) may experience excerbation of their illnesses due to depression.

A google will assist you greatly if you cannot find something here to get you going in forming your plot.

Good luck!

Christine

Mumut
03-20-2009, 10:07 AM
There are websites - one is Black Dog and the other Blue something but I think if you google each of those with the word 'depression' added, you'll get there. They would have answers to your questions.

Rarri
03-20-2009, 02:02 PM
Okay, so everyone's seen those "depression hurts" commercials.

"Where does depression hurt?"
"Everywhere."
"Who does depression hurt?"
"Everyone."

But.....how does it hurt? How is teen depression caused? What are some signs of depression and impending suicide? Anything else?

I'm doing research for my book.

Thanks.

Depression really can hurt, the physical pain can be in a small area or everywhere. Teenagers, funnily, are human just like adults and as such their depression can have the same causes: hormones, abuse, stress (work, school) etc. Just as with adults, there doesn't have to be a reason for depression, it can just occur without explanation.

Suicide can be premeditated or impulsive, so signs may or may not present.

This is a good link to articles: http://www.recoveryourlife.com/index.php?categoryid=43

lm728
03-21-2009, 01:45 AM
Thanks, everyone! I got a lot more info than I was expecting. :)

GeorgeK
03-21-2009, 02:28 AM
Depression may bring on bouts of hypochondria - which FEEL real to the sufferer. Even if there is no physical evidence showing from testing. One may actually FEEL a pain that cannot be detected and is merely a psychopsymatic pain. Not real. But? Still real.

People who have prior conditions (asthma, lupus, psoraisis, etc) may experience excerbation of their illnesses due to depression.

A google will assist you greatly if you cannot find something here to get you going in forming your plot.

Good luck!

Christine

Grumble, grumble, gripe, moan, growl, Pain is real, Real might be subjective, but the pain is real....if you look up diabetes in a medical textbook from the late 1800's, they will likely list it under the Psychiatric disorders

dreamsofnever
03-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Tilt, I think those commercials are also referring to pain in the non-physical form. Basically saying that the loved ones of a person who suffers from depression hurt too.

For a parent, seeing your child without a smile on their face and seeing them burst into tears for no reason, show no enthusiasm or enjoyment for life, and knowing they're hurting IS painful.

For friends, it's painful to see your friend go through such pain and not be able to help.

I had a friend in high school who tried to kill herself multiple times and that fear of losing someone you care about is very real, and very painful (in the emotional sense)

Hope that helps!